Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When your state goes under mandatory quarantine, will you video tape yourself losing your sh!t?!

Post it in the "Things to do in the time of Quarantines" thread.

GTSwarm thanks you in advance.

@Milwaukee will just watch movies. It seems to be something he enjoys. The difference is he'll turn them off, instead of walking out of the theater.

Milwaukee

Banned
When your state goes under mandatory quarantine, will you video tape yourself losing your sh!t?!

Post it in the "Things to do in the time of Quarantines" thread.

GTSwarm thanks you in advance.

California gov is just a silly drama queen like many others. He’s had more flu deaths this year than China Virus deaths. You people are too funny.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Milwaukee will just watch movies. It seems to be something he enjoys. The difference is he'll turn them off, instead of walking out of the theater.

@Milwaukee strikes me as a guy who probably doesn't mind "quarantine" as much as he despises being told what to do. He was probably that kid who got stuck on the roof because someone told him it wasn't safe to climb the house and get on the roof.

Deleted member 2897

@Milwaukee strikes me as a guy who probably doesn't mind "quarantine" as much as he despises being told what to do. He was probably that kid who got stuck on the roof because someone told him it wasn't safe to climb the house and get on the roof.

HA HA HA HA! Just like my teenage daughter. She’s still like that. When she was 2, we went to a Japanese Steakhouse where the table top is the stove. We warned her not to touch it because it’s a hot stove and will burn her. She leaned over and touched it and screamed in pain. I mean...sigh, LOL.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
As of today, over 60% of the cases in US are in 3 states: NY/NJ (same thing for these purposes), California, Washington. Those states account for about 23% of the US population. Serious question... do you think that 60% will hold for the most part OR is the rest of the country lagging and the spread of this thing will eventually be relatively even (per capita)?

I'm here to learn. Not to teach.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Starting Monday, Burger King is offering 2 free kids meals with the purchase of an adult meal.

Mods.;
How do you feel about a thread promoting small businesses?
For instance, a GT friend is basically a sole proprietor and cuts hair at his Duluth, Ga. Barber Shop. Sales are down over 50% since the virus quarantine. It’s a tiny place in Mall Corners and he sterilizes the waiting chair, clipping chair and his tools. DM’s accepted, since I’d like to help out.

Deleted member 2897

As of today, over 60% of the cases in US are in 3 states: NY/NJ (same thing for these purposes), California, Washington. Those states account for about 23% of the US population. Serious question... do you think that 60% will hold for the most part OR is the rest of the country lagging and the spread of this thing will eventually be relatively even (per capita)?

My guess is based on what we’ve seen in the rest of the world that it will spread out. It follows travel patterns. The highest concentration of Chinese people in Europe is in northern Italy. When china instituted its military supported quarantines, many Chinese people fled – the next big outbreaks were the locations that they fled to. Same thing from there. There is a lot more international travel to and from Italy and Europe into San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, etc. so that is logically where it would spread next. Then there is travel from Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City to secondary cities and so on and so forth. Right now, Greenland has a higher number of coronavirus cases per capita than the United States. Little old Iceland has 15 times the number of coronavirus cases per capita than the United States. It will go everywhere.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Rigano co-authored a non-scientific Google Doc about chloroquine and coronavirus. He is not a scientist and has not conducted any experiments on coronavirus. There was a third co-author on the Google Doc, a professor of biochemistry and molecular genetics, but he publicly stated that he didn't author, read, contribute to, or endorse the document. I have not read that paper, but from what I understand it didn't actually cite new studies, it discussed old studies that were done with chloroquine and SARS. He co-authored a paper of mostly old information and claimed that a professor of biochemistry(who claimed no knowledge of ) wrote it with him. His linked in profile says that he is an advisor to the Stanford School of Medicine, but Stanford says "Gregory Rigano is not an advisor with Stanford School of Medicine". He is now making a media blitz touting the 100% effectiveness of this drug. (And getting publicity for himself at the same time.) There is no reason to believe this guy.

He cites a study done by Didier Raoult. In that study, a non-randomized collection of COVID-19 patients received hydroxychloroquine. 26 received the medicine and 16 were used as a control group. After six days: 100% (six patients) who received hydroxychloroquine and and antibiotic were virus free, roughly 60% of the other hydroxychloroquine receiving patients were virus free, and 12.5% of the control group were virus free. Being a small non-randomized sample means that it is entirely possible that other factors than the drugs were responsible for the results: Length of infection, blood type, previous viral history, etc. It does look promising, but I would compare it to the mutts beating a G5 opponent by 50 to start the football season. It does not mean that they are going to win the national championship. Just because a small, non-randomized study looks positive does not mean that it is a cure.

https://www.inverse.com/mind-body/chloroquine
https://www.wired.com/story/an-old-malaria-drug-may-fight-covid-19-and-silicon-valleys-into-it/
https://www.mediterranee-infection....2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Starting Monday, Burger King is offering 2 free kids meals with the purchase of an adult meal.

Mods.;
How do you feel about a thread promoting small businesses?
For instance, a GT friend is basically a sole proprietor and cuts hair at his Duluth, Ga. Barber Shop. Sales are down over 50% since the virus quarantine. It’s a tiny place in Mall Corners and he sterilizes the waiting chair, clipping chair and his tools. DM’s accepted, since I’d like to help out.
There is a thread in Swarm Lounge that might be a good spot for such an idea. Let me know what y'all think & I can adjust the title accordingly.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/contact-work.21320/

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

I think that will change when the other areas get the same amount of testing. I know our number in South Carolina seems low compared to some states but we haven't tested that many people and have a 10% positive rate currently. I would expect if we tested 5000 people we would have well over 500 positive cases today.

GT_EE78

Banned
As of today, over 60% of the cases in US are in 3 states: NY/NJ (same thing for these purposes), California, Washington. Those states account for about 23% of the US population. Serious question... do you think that 60% will hold for the most part OR is the rest of the country lagging and the spread of this thing will eventually be relatively even (per capita)?I'm here to learn. Not to teach.
I'd agree with @bwelbo about the travel patterns and that it will spread everywhere. Still, I'd speculate that infection rates per capita will be higher in urban areas with a higher population density. I wouldn't expect that 60% to hold but some observable patterns should remain.

Deleted member 2897

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/coro...ties-more-than-republican-ones-143813828.html

Don't let the clickbait media incite you. This is a bastardization of statistics. The coronavirus does not go after Democrats. This outbreak and spread is a function of urban density and travel patterns. There is then a correlation to that trait with party affiliation. This is like the old adage that the more churches there are, the more murders and rapes you'll have. Both are related to population, and that's the correlation. We are all in this together, and don't let the media stir up bull**** and pit us against each other.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
My guess is based on what we’ve seen in the rest of the world that it will spread out. It follows travel patterns. The highest concentration of Chinese people in Europe is in northern Italy. When china instituted its military supported quarantines, many Chinese people fled – the next big outbreaks were the locations that they fled to. Same thing from there. There is a lot more international travel to and from Italy and Europe into San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, etc. so that is logically where it would spread next. Then there is travel from Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York City to secondary cities and so on and so forth. Right now, Greenland has a higher number of coronavirus cases per capita than the United States. Little old Iceland has 15 times the number of coronavirus cases per capita than the United States. It will go everywhere.

I don't now about that. West Virginia only has 2 cases. No one wants to go to West Virginia.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gov. Cuomo will sign executive order mandating 100% of NY workforce must stay home, excluding essential services. Order would exclude pharmacies, grocery stores, and others.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Status
Not open for further replies.