Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

slugboy

Staff member
The bottom line is people don't have enough money in savings to cover emergencies, and the amount of money people need will be a lot more than that. The median income is something like $60k/year. That's $5k/month. Imagine a single Mom making $3k/month ($36k/year). Imagine a dual income family with 3 kids making $80k/year ($7k/month). $1k is helpful, but will cover about 2 weeks of expenses.

I’m worried about all the Main Street shops (and my town has a real Main Street with shops)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

We also watched other nations successfully contain and mitigate it a month ahead of us.

That's false. Its not mitigated anywhere, except maybe China. But we all should be wary of their numbers.

South Korea is still seeing hundreds of new cases a day. Even Switzerland has a population equivalent 90,000 cases. 500 people a day are dying in Italy.

We have taken measures way before everyone else did. We were the first to stop travel to/from China. Same with Italy. Same with Europe. (And we got criticized for it all along the way by the way.) . How we've shut down our country - we did that way before others did it from a caseload standpoint.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m worried about all the Main Street shops (and my town has a real Main Street with shops)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%

It's always the average American that has to suffer during crises like this. Some nations have frozen mortgage payments, and suspended payment for electricity and water. Companies in America are working with customers on late payments and waiving fees. It's going to take a total effort, and that includes giant businesses as well as the average American. Big business needs to do their part as well.

There are no easy answers.

Deleted member 2897

On a US-population adjusted basis, Greenland has 6,000 cases. Its seemingly everywhere LOL.

GT_EE78

Banned
Actually, if you read my posts in other threads, I give Trump credit for a lot of things. I even had high hopes for him when he was elected since he came from outside of the establishment. I actually wanted a Republican (Kasich) to be the president (which I said in another thread). Sorry to put a crimp in your "You're Democrat lover" theory.

It doesn't matter who is in office, if we had the same response to this pandemic under Obama, I would have been equally as critical. The fact that you think my post in this thread are anti-Trump/Republican tells you how divisive this country has become.

If Obama, or any other person in office, would have been part of the Politico thread I posted, I think it would have been illuminating to know as well.
You should go self-quaratine in one of the political threads. You proved TDS is real.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On a local level in Atlanta, it appears the infections are accelerating now. Doctors and healthcare workers are now getting infected. This is starting to resemble the deluge that occured in other countries once it hit tipping point:

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--reg...virus-according-gupta/2pBtOgGO0ibyUgGX0wAR4O/

Gupta is a staff neurosurgeon at Emory Clinic. Emory University staffs physicians at Grady.

It was not immediately clear how many of the nine that Gupta spoke of were at Grady, Atlanta’s biggest safety net hospital and level 1 trauma center.

Gupta read, interspersed with comments: “Guys, this is happening. We are now seeing droves of patients being admitted with COVID-19…nine doctors now sick with 20 more expected tomorrow. The nine doctors who were sick tested positive for the coronavirus.

Grady and Emory Midtown are about mile from where I live, and the population density of the area is extremely high. Georgia Tech and GA State are close by as well. The wave has definitely hit the shore.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
They're the modern day "iron lungs" of the 1940s & 1950s polio era. Not everybody caught polio, but when you did & it got bad enough you couldn't breathe let alone walk, you needed an iron lung.

Anyone else remember collecting dimes to donate to the March of Dimes?

I can remember my Mother collecting for the Mothers March for March of Dimes during the 1950’s

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I participated in the same damn exercise in 1998 & 2000. This preparation exercise and regular exercises have been ongoing every damn year or two years depending on the scenario since God knows when but it has been at least 2 decades. Hell, they “war gamed” 9-11. Still didn’t prevent Slick & W from screwing the pooch on that. Our government is full of people who are masters of the obvious but incapable of taking proper action when what’s eventually going to happen is staring them straight in the face. Many of you all need to stopping so much TV and buying the politicians and media BS.

We have exercises for a reason. There's a reason schools have tornado and fire drills. There's a reason firefighters have exercises to put out fires with different scenarios. There's a reason large buildings have evacuation exercises a couple of times a year. There's a reason doctors and nurses have emergency exercises in hospitals. There's a reason why you/your company participated in those exercises.

Some will pay attention and it will pay off when the time calls for it. It will save lives. Some won't pay attention, and when the time calls for it, they will be in trouble. Let's hope the people guarding our gates were paying attention.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Why are the ventilators so expensive? The answer to that is what causes damn near every single issue.
How many is enough? How much money does any business have tied up in equipment that’s not in use and held for emergencies only? How much staff is certified and do you pay more for someone who is even if they aren’t using that skill? To your original question though it’s been years since I bought vents but off the top of my head I would guess around $10k for the units. Not sure about add-ons like tying them into the EHR etc, plus disposables and the aforementioned staff, etc.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This page has a lot of interesting data comparing different countries as they progress through their way of handling the virus. There is one graph where the guy was able to break out a few states in the US and compare how many days they are behind Italy and China. Sadly no Georgia, but they did have a graph for Florida. You can see how Korea has mostly flattened out while trying to keep some of their economy going

http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/covid19/

Deleted member 2897

This page has a lot of interesting data comparing different countries as they progress through their way of handling the virus. There is one graph where the guy was able to break out a few states in the US and compare how many days they are behind Italy and China. Sadly no Georgia, but they did have a graph for Florida. You can see how Korea has mostly flattened out while trying to keep some of their economy going

http://nrg.cs.ucl.ac.uk/mjh/covid19/

That's really interesting stuff to me.

The take home I get is that countries have all seemingly taken different steps, yet they are all very similar in outcomes. And while South Korea looks in the best shape, so does China right now. And note that South Korea was hit weeks before Europe. So are they doing well because of what they're doing, or simply because they've been at it for weeks longer than Europe? For example, the charts say we're 3 weeks behind South Korea. South Korea started seeing their new cases flatten 10 days ago. So it will be interesting to see if we see our cases flatten 10 days from now (March 26th-ish). Italy is actually showing the beginnings of a flattening of their curve (as is Iran), which it should right now based on the timelines shown.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
DAMMIT. LOL

I am still somewhat undecided on that, because, at least today, there were so few people at my gym, and I imagine the number will get even lower. I was REALLY LAZY during to colder months and didn't go. Now that it's warmed up I have been going, and I really need to go. Obviously, I can take walks instead, but I hate doing that. I wish I still had a working bicycle, because I love riding a bike, and there are some great riding areas near my house. I don't know if it can be made good again, or not, but I guess I should take it to a bike shop and find out. Or maybe just buy a new one.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that. I read the entire thing, and there was a lot of good stuff in it.
I know what you mean. I'm in the same trap, due to illness ("flu-like"), then a pinched nerve in my back. Ever since Christmas exercise has been difficult. All the same:

Stop it! Don't go to the gym. Period. It's dangerous. Besides, it's more interesting around here with you posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.