Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't read all sixty pages of this thread, so I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not, but...

In the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, one treatment for it that had some success was to take blood from someone who had recovered from the flu and give it to someone who was seriously ill. The blood had antibodies in it and was a sort of vaccination. It was also given to people who had not contracted the flu and was fairly successful in preventing them from getting it, or at least from getting as seriously ill from it. The data from a hundred years ago is probably largely anecdotal, but it has been analyzed and found to prove that the treatment was somewhat successful.

It went out of style with modern vaccinations but some wonder if it could be resurrected in this case since there is no vaccination as yet. The science seems quite sound. It works on the same principle as vaccination.
Apparently still a reasonable theory

Becker's Hospital Review: The race to develop a COVID-19 vaccine: 5 updates
Emergent BioSolutions said it is working to develop treatments for COVID-19 made from the blood of patients who have recovered from the disease, according to the Journal.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dude, if you did not want that to be political, why exactly did you post it?

Another Obama admin official criticizes Trump admin.....breaking news, huh? Happens...every day? Sheesh!

It's evidence that we should have been better prepared. Pandemics like these are "part of a legally required transition exercise with members of the outgoing administration". This same exercise will be required of Trump's team to the next incoming administration...whether in 2020 or 2024.

What's interesting is there's an exercise, documents provided in the links, that bring up the exact questions we are grappling with now...so those questions had a 2 year gestation period for an incident like this.

We can't predict WHEN something will come, but we can predict that something WILL come.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It's evidence that we should have been better prepared. Pandemics like these are "part of a legally required transition exercise with members of the outgoing administration". This same exercise will be required of Trump's team to the next incoming administration...whether in 2020 or 2024.

What's interesting is there's an exercise, documents provided in the links, that bring up the exact questions we are grappling with now...so those questions had a 2 year gestation period for an incident like this.

We can't predict WHEN something will come, but predict that something WILL come.
Dude, you are living in a fantasy world where Trump is always wrong and Democrats never screw up (apparently).

If we knew a pandemic was coming, why did the Obama administration leave us so disastrously short of ventilators, protective gear etc? They should have done something about it, right dude?

my goodness, your TDS is showing and it is very unbecoming at a time when we should all pull together!

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Love how these Democrats blame Trump for anything that is wrong in the world and don’t give him credit for all the good he has done. Now trying to politicize a virus...it is not even the virus that is the biggest problem, but the mass reaction to it that will end up hurting the economy. Special precautions should have been taken in isolating the elderly, but the rest of us should not have jumped off the cliff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dude, you are living in a fantasy world where Trump is always wrong and Democrats never screw up (apparently).

If we knew a pandemic was coming, why did the Obama administration leave us so disastrously short of ventilators, protective gear etc? They should have done something about it, right dude?

my goodness, your TDS is showing and it is very unbecoming at a time when we should all pull together!

Actually, if you read my posts in other threads, I give Trump credit for a lot of things. I even had high hopes for him when he was elected since he came from outside of the establishment. I actually wanted a Republican (Kasich) to be the president (which I said in another thread). Sorry to put a crimp in your "You're Democrat lover" theory.

It doesn't matter who is in office, if we had the same response to this pandemic under Obama, I would have been equally as critical. The fact that you think my post in this thread are anti-Trump/Republican tells you how divisive this country has become.

If Obama, or any other person in office, would have been part of the Politico thread I posted, I think it would have been illuminating to know as well.

Actually, if you read my posts in other threads, I give Trump credit for a lot of things. I even had high hopes for him when he was elected since he came from outside of the establishment. I actually wanted a Republican (Kasich) to be the president (which I said in another thread). Sorry to put a crimp in your "You're Democrat lover" theory.

It doesn't matter who is in office, if we had the same response to this pandemic under Obama, I would have been equally as critical. The fact that you think my post in this thread are anti-Trump/Republican tells you how divisive this country has become.

If Obama, or any other person in office, would have been part of the Politico thread I posted, I think it would have been illuminating to know as well.
Actually, I thought your post was very interesting. One thing I noted was that Trump's staff turnover since being inaugurated is at least partially to blame for the slow response, since most, if not all, of Trump's staff who was in on that meeting are no longer on his staff. That's not really all that unusual. S**t happens. There probably should have been better turnover from the outgoing staff members to the incoming ones, but I guess that slipped through the holes. Again s**t happens. I think the team that Trump has assembled to address the crisis is exemplary. So, although there was obviously a slow start in addressing the crisis, and Trump obviously really didn't have a clue himself what was going on or what to do, by assembling this team, I think it's a pretty good recovery, and it's definitely not too late. Sadly, the MSM and the democrat candidates are focusing on the slow start, rather than the fast and outstanding (at least so far) recovery. Some of the comments coming from those people is just plain sickening. It's obvious they want Trump to fail, and to hell with the American people. What little I saw of that incredibly boring debate last night shows me that neither Biden nor Sanders have a clue about anything and would probably have worse results in handling it than Trump initially had.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I thought your post was very interesting. One thing I noted was that Trump's staff turnover since being inaugurated is at least partially to blame for the slow response, since most, if not all, of Trump's staff who was in on that meeting are no longer on his staff. That's not really all that unusual. S**t happens. There probably should have been better turnover from the outgoing staff members to the incoming ones, but I guess that slipped through the holes. Again s**t happens. I think the team that Trump has assembled to address the crisis is exemplary. So, although there was obviously a slow start in addressing the crisis, and Trump obviously really didn't have a clue himself what was going on or what to do, by assembling this team, I think it's a pretty good recovery, and it's definitely not too late. Sadly, the MSM and the democrat candidates are focusing on the slow start, rather than the fast and outstanding (at least so far) recovery. Some of the comments coming from those people is just plain sickening. It's obvious they want Trump to fail, and to hell with the American people. What little I saw of that incredibly boring debate last night shows me that neither Biden nor Sanders have a clue about anything and would probably have worse results in handling it than Trump initially had.

NO ONE should want Trump to fail. Trump failing means the risks we are about to face rises exponentially.

Right now, EVERYONE should be a Trump fan and fans of the team he put together to deal with the virus.

Whatever differences people have with this adminstration, people will get to voice them come November elections.

NO ONE should want Trump to fail. Trump failing means the risks we are about to face rises exponentially.

Right now, EVERYONE should be a Trump fan and fans of the team he put together to deal with the virus.

Whatever differences people have with this adminstration, people will get to voice them come November elections.
AMEN !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.