Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can interpret it any way you want...it's what you do.
I still don't see how you can say it was Trump's fault that the CDC didn't do what they should have done. I really hate whataboutism, but unfortunately, I have to bring it up here: what about Presidents in the past who have been stymied by the CDC bureaucrats and been unable to do anything about it, resulting in deaths in the population?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I still don't see how you can say it was Trump's fault that the CDC didn't do what they should have done. I really hate whataboutism, but unfortunately, I have to bring it up here: what about Presidents in the past who have been stymied by the CDC bureaucrats and been unable to do anything about it, resulting in deaths in the population?

Then they should be responsible for whatever consequences that came out from the crises under their watch. End of story.

Let's get something straight, Trump is NOT at fault for the coronavirus. That's not of his making. He is, however, responsible for his actions once he found out that it existed. There is literal video (which I posted earlier) of him downplaying it and calling it a hoax (maybe the "hoax" moniker was from a tweet). He pretty much said it would just go away...

I think that in part gave people reason to believe it was just overblown and "fake". We wasted weeks putting our heads in the sand when we could have started the process of getting tests out to affected communities, getting with medical experts and virologists to see the best steps to contain and mitigate (BTW, we still have ZERO plan to mitigate...we barely have a coherent plan to contain), then acting on it. What we did in the last few days should have been done weeks ago.

WE are quickly heading from bad to worse...next step is worst, and I hope we never get there.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What’s wrong with freedom? Glad you’re not in charge.

People don’t follow sound advice/guidance or obey laws all the time. Drunk drivers kill people. Fat people have heart attacks and get diabetes that causes strain on the medical system. Lazy people need welfare and sap resources from all of us. Drug addicts destroy stuff & need rehab they can’t afford. Reckless behavior is all around us. There are rapists, racists, liars, manipulators, scumbags, etc all over the place. People hire illegals instead of Americans. Bureaucrats suppress beneficial drugs & kill people that could have been saved. Companies tweak tests to present positives when it’s really negative.

I can decide what to do without some government moron demanding I do it. This is supposed to be a freedom loving country.
Don't be hard on us fat guys :)

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, to be the skeptic again: in private business if you get HR involved it is about impossible to "run anybody off". Right or wrong, the presumption that private industry gets it right is just wrong. Besides which, government isn't a business and can't be run like it. I have matched my civil servant friends horror story for horror story.
Sounds like you got some inept government schmucks running your HR. Sorry Dude, life must be rough for you. When our HR couldn’t cut the mustard, we cut the HR.

Deleted member 2897

Then they should be responsible for whatever consequences that came out from the crises under their watch. End of story.

Let's get something straight, Trump is NOT at fault for the coronavirus. That's not of his making. He is, however, responsible for his actions once he found out that it existed. There is literal video (which I posted earlier) of him downplaying it and calling it a hoax (maybe the "hoax" moniker was from a tweet). He pretty much said it would just go away...

I think that in part gave people reason to believe it was just overblown and "fake". We wasted weeks putting our heads in the sand when we could have started the process of getting tests out to affected communities, getting with medical experts and virologists to see the best steps to contain and mitigate (BTW, we still have ZERO plan to mitigate...we barely have a coherent plan to contain), then acting on it. What we did in the last few days should have been done weeks ago.

WE are quickly heading from bad to worse...next step is worst, and I hope we never get there.

He didn’t say the virus was a hoax.

The virus WILL pass.

You still can’t list anything you or anybody else (including the CDC and NIH) were advocating for along the way that he didn’t try and take action on.

NOBODY...NOBODY. Not you, not the CDC, not the NIH...NOBODY was advocating to shut the country down 3 weeks ago. When asked for anything like that, they said we weren’t there yet.

Your criticisms are irrational.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He didn’t say the virus was a hoax.

The virus WILL pass.

You still can’t list anything you or anybody else (including the CDC and NIH) were advocating for along the way that he didn’t try and take action on.

NOBODY...NOBODY. Not you, not the CDC, not the NIH...NOBODY was advocating to shut the country down 3 weeks ago. When asked for anything like that, they said we weren’t there yet.

Your criticisms are irrational. Monday morning quarterbacking is not helpful.

LOL. OK buddy...if you refuse to read the articles I link to, you have ZERO place to say anything. ZERO.

BTW, the literal playbook to slow and mitigate the virus was given to us by other countries. In fact, other countries even gave us a preview a month ahead of time. It doesn't take a genius to know "learn from other's mistakes..."

If we can't learn from other countries...what are you really saying?!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Did you grow up in a bubble or something? Never have I seen in my 48 years this entire country act so irrationally.

I would rather the country act irrationally and later say we overreacted then see what's happening in Italy and other parts of the world and say we didn't act with the correct response.

It's like insurance, most of the time we don't need it, but when you do...it's nice to have.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Clinical trials for Covid19 to start Monday or this coming week!!!!

Hope it bares fruit. (not the kind from vegetation, like limes. )

Deleted member 2897

LOL. OK buddy...if you refuse to read the articles I link to, you have ZERO place to say anything. ZERO.

BTW, the literal playbook to slow and mitigate the virus was given to us by other countries. In fact, other countries even gave us a preview a month ahead of time. It doesn't take a genius to know "learn from other's mistakes..."

If we can't learn from other countries...what are you really saying?!

Man the false crap and personal accusations you spew is so unbecoming.

They gave us a playbook. The playbook was not to shut the country down for no reason. You weren’t on here telling us to shut the country down 3 weeks ago. Neither was the CDC. Neither was the NIH. Acting like you warned us 3 weeks ago to shut the country down when you didn’t is also unbecoming.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Isn't trump the one who appoints the head of the cdc & dept of health?

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Isn't trump the one who appoiMrs the head of the cdc & dept of health?

No, Trump didn’t appoint Obama’s head of the CDC when 20,000 died to the swine flu. And BTW, that wasn’t Obama’s fault.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Man the false crap and personal accusations you spew is so unbecoming.

They gave us a playbook. The playbook was not to shut the country down for no reason. You weren’t on here telling us to shut the country down 3 weeks ago. Neither was the CDC. Neither was the NIH. Acting like you warned us 3 weeks ago to shut the country down when you didn’t is also unbecoming.

https://time.com/5797636/trump-botched-coronavirus-response/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rp-increase-u-s-coronavirus-cases/5003087002/

https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/article/updated-timeline-coronavirus

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/feds-allow-state-public-health-labs-test-covid-19

The interesting part here when you read the articles is the timeline that the virus reared its head in China (December), and the point where tests were readily made available in the United States.

But this is where the our government was too slow:

January 21st: United States confirms its first case in Washington state, a man who traveled to the Wuhan area.

January 31st: Trump administration declared a public health emergency, and moved quickly to cancel flights from China, ban non-U.S. citizens who recently visited China from entering the U.S., and quarantine Americans who had recently visited China’s Hubei province.

February 5th: The United States confirms its twelfth case. CDC developed and shipped testing kits in early February to state and local public health labs to begin testing for coronavirus. But a test kit glitch left state and local public health labs unable to confirm the test results. The flaw delayed rapid testing among state and local labs, just as the deadly respiratory virus gained a foothold among infected travelers returning to the United States.

Mid/Late February - February 24th: Private labs and academic hospitals didn’t get the green light to develop and use their own diagnostics until several weeks later. That delayed testing and left even patients with symptoms of, or exposure to COVID-19 unable to get tested.

APHL said its scientists were in talks all day yesterday with the FDA and CDC to figure out a way to allow labs to use functioning tests.

**(A month AFTER the first confirmed positive result in the US of the virus, the US/CDC did not have a fully functioning Covid-19 test, and Private Labs and Academic Hospitals still were NOT given green lights to use/develop their own tests)**

February 29th: The United States reports its first death, a man in his fifties with an underlying health condition.

March 9th: According to the Time article, tests are still being rolled out across the country, which means they are still not readily available. In the meantime, there are countless number of people walking around/riding mass transportation/with large gatherings that are infected but not yet showing signs passing along the virus.

Now compare that to the response of Taiwan and South Korea, countries where thousands of people go back and forth between China. The statistics there show the virus infection rate has crested and is in decline. Keep in mind, they had less time to react to the virus spreading due to proximity and amount of people that travel between the countries:

Taiwan:
https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/the...atic-taiwan-outperformed-authoritarian-china/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ndard-epidemic-response-keep-infection-rates/

https://www.voanews.com/science-hea...t-42-coronavirus-cases-while-neighbors-report

South Korea:
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/heal...virus-south-korea-cuts-infection-rate-without

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-glimmer-of-hope-in-south-korea-idUSKBN20X04P

"For no reason..." LOL. It's unbecoming when you don't read what others post but continue on some absurd diatribe.

The US's first identified case was in January 21st. We all saw how serious it got in other parts of the world and what they did to contain and mitigate. If people can't prepare for the worst when you find out that the virus is on your shores, well, you shouldn't be in charge, should you?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's been a pattern that your refuse to read the literature provided to you. If you continue to do that, I am going to have to respectfully decline to interact with you.

Deleted member 2897

Wow, just today...1 day...300 people died to COVID-19 in Spain. 400 died today in Italy.

Deleted member 2897

"For no reason..." LOL. It's unbecoming when you don't read what others post but continue on some absurd diatribe.

The US's first identified case was in January 21st. We all saw how serious it got in other parts of the world and what they did to contain and mitigate. If people can't prepare for the worst when you find out that the virus is on your shores, well, you shouldn't be in charge, should you?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's been a pattern that your refuse to read the literature provided to you. If you continue to do that, I am going to have to respectfully decline to interact with you.

False.

He never called the virus a hoax; he called the media reaction to it, blaming him in part for it, a hoax.
To some extent, and I have no idea whether this was intentional or not, nor do you, his downplaying it initially COULD have been for the purpose of not causing a panic or possible over-reaction. Unfortunately, the media did that instead, and that's what he referred to as a hoax. As far as the weeks that were wasted, yes, but again, that falls at the feet of the CDC, FDA, and NHS. I guess it is reasonable to say that he was responsible for his actions once he found out what was going on, but, as been the case many times in the past, what different could he have done? Previous Presidents haven't been able to do much of anything in light of CDC malfeasance either. As is the case with most government agencies, it is a bureaucratic nightmare and a prime reason we should NEVER entrust our health services to the Federal Government. I don't know if you are aware or not, but on (gasp) Fox News, I heard Thursday that we are woefully short of ventilators in this country, and NYC alone could suffer very soon because of that shortage. I HOPE that somebody in the administration is trying to get that mess worked out. It's easy for you, or anyone, to say that "what we did in the last few days should have been done weeks ago", but again it's just typical of the giant government bureaucracy, otherwise known as the Swamp.

Deleted member 2897

I am starting to predict a pattern here. When you're proven wrong, your only reply is "False".

Thanks for making my decision easy. Have a good night.

You’re a liar. It’s really as simple as that.

We can put this to bed right now. It was obvious we should have shut the country down weeks ago. Please show us where you said so back then. Please show us where the CDC said so. Or the NIH. Or anybody of substance. The ball is in your court. Happy to apologize for saying your criticisms are irrational - just pull up those posts.

In the meantime, please stop accusing me of not reading those links when I did and answered you on the substance of them. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.