Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

TechPreacher

Banned
Are we REALLY still having this damn conversation? Your little dry wall deal is meaningless. The point of the mask of course is to minimize you spreading the virus which is in droplets and moisture in your breath. Your mask provides minimal protection unless you are wearing a fit tested N95.

That's the point.

TechPreacher

Banned
It provides high protection when both parties wear a mask. That’s actually the point. And if you want even more protection, you can wear medical grade PPE.

So, then, it's not necessarily the multiple layers of masks that makes it effective, but it's the multiple layers with space in-between, right? Maybe someone will invent a contraption that goes on the face that spaces the masks as they protrude out from the face. I can see that really catching on. Maybe a Shark Tank idea?

Deleted member 2897

Uh oh, cases across Europe are spiking - Spain, Germany, France...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Really strange that nobody at a large company like Lowes would not have a positive, but we went almost 3 months with the same deal now we have some pockets of activity, some days infuriatingly high numbers of secondary contacts getting quarantined. There’s a hispanic market, a group of lesbians and a sizable party crowd that hangs out That’s leading the charge. Other than that it has been cases of foreign travel visitors that’s caused the bulk of the rest. We’ve had family members positive, by far the largest percentage is nursing home followed again by the party crowd then people with northeast connections that either visited or they came down here.

If you’re a Hispanic lesbian from the Northeast, and work at a nursing home, you’re pretty much screwed.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Science and politics are not good roommates.

I am the one who posted about my buddy at Lowes. It was not the corporation, but the individual store. So that was blown out of context. Sorry for the confusion. It may be a subjective result, but to me significant. I know this mask thing is based not only on science but politics and feelings. I agree it is reasonable to have an opinion either way. Data indicates my area of the world is not a hotbed of covid. But, how is it possible no employees at a store had covid? No need to answer that because it will get political.

My son worked at a local Atlanta retail store (name intentionally not named) full time for the last few months. He was required to wear a mask. There was limited social distancing. Hundreds/thousands of customer interactions. He lives at home. As far as we know he did not get covid and pass it along to his family. Heck, as far as we know, my family may have already had covid and have antibodies. We did nothing extraordinary at home with respect to covid. He did not have to shower before coming into the house. No fumigation.

My experience. Not something off Facebook or the media.

I just want to figure a way to get kids back in school.

Yes FOR YOU. The point is to protect other people. It provides a pretty high level of protection for others. But you know that you’re just being a pain.
How much protection it provides for others depends on the material it is made of and how the mask is worn, and many masks are not good material, and some people don't have a clue how to wear them. So in theory they may provide a pretty high level of protection, but in reality, I would say that level is not really all that high.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Science and politics are not good roommates.

I am the one who posted about my buddy at Lowes. It was not the corporation, but the individual store. So that was blown out of context. Sorry for the confusion. It may be a subjective result, but to me significant. I know this mask thing is based not only on science but politics and feelings. I agree it is reasonable to have an opinion either way. Data indicates my area of the world is not a hotbed of covid. But, how is it possible no employees at a store had covid? No need to answer that because it will get political.

My son worked at a local Atlanta retail store (name intentionally not named) full time for the last few months. He was required to wear a mask. There was limited social distancing. Hundreds/thousands of customer interactions. He lives at home. As far as we know he did not get covid and pass it along to his family. Heck, as far as we know, my family may have already had covid and have antibodies. We did nothing extraordinary at home with respect to covid. He did not have to shower before coming into the house. No fumigation.

My experience. Not something off Facebook or the media.

I just want to figure a way to get kids back in school.

It isn't that hard to figure out how no employees at one store have been confirmed to have the virus. Fulton county is at about a 1.4% confirmed infection rate. Your area might be less than that, and you specifically said that it isn't a hotbed, so it might be significantly less than that. I'm not sure how many employees each Lowe's store has, but let's make an assumption of 100. That would mean statistically you would expect 1.4 confirmed cases at that store. However, the statistics are not evenly distributed. If the nursing home down the street had 25 confirmed cases amoung 80 residents and 20 employees, then those 25 are enough to cover the statistics for the nursing home and 15 Lowe's stores.

As to your son, I am glad that he hasn't been infected or sick. I'm not aware of anyone saying that if you work in retail you are guaranteed to be infected. As I said before, the confirmed infection rate in Fulton county is about 1.4%. that means that 98.6% of people have not been confirmed to have the virus. Recent reports say that actual infections are 10 times the confirmed infections. That still means that purely statistically you have an 86% chance of not having or having had the virus.

The confirmed rate where I live is around 0.5%. I know three people off the top of my head who had it. At a church I used to go to, four people have had it. (I only counted one of those in the three, because I don't know the others.). It isn't the case that walking into a store is going to guarantee that you get it. However, it isn't the case that the virus doesn't even exist, and that zero precautions should be taken to protect people either.

Last edited:

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
How much protection it provides for others depends on the material it is made of and how the mask is worn, and many masks are not good material, and some people don't have a clue how to wear them. So in theory they may provide a pretty high level of protection, but in reality, I would say that level is not really all that high.
There was a video from a group at GT that recommended spraying your mask with a water spray bottle in front of a mirror to see if the most from the water bottle makes it through your mask. Is any water or mist appears on the mirror, then the mask material isn't good enough.

Last edited:

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
My wife has to wear an N95 with a #1 mask on top of that. Plus a face shield, head covering and a plastic covering over her scrubs. She is a Dental Hygienist. Plus she wears loops with a light inside the face shield. She says it is literally an oven. Shen can only have 2 patients in the morning and 2 after lunch and time to cool back off. I want her to quit until the vaccine comes out

That sounds awful.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
RJ, nice reasoned response. Which reassures me of what I already knew, that I/we have little to worry about.

With a little luck and some favorable press, maybe there is a chance for football.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@RonJohn If the known infection rate is 1.4% and it’s suspected the actual infection rate is 10x, there’s very little change a population of 100 people has zero positives. Less than .1%

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@RonJohn If the known infection rate is 1.4% and it’s suspected the actual infection rate is 10x, there’s very little change a population of 100 people has zero positives. Less than .1%

Only if the distribution is even throughout the population, or if the sample set is completely random. Statistical analysis doesn't say that 1.4% yields exactly 14 positives in every possible set of 1,000 people. As I said in my post, if a nearby nursing home has 25 cases out of 100 residents and employees, then that 100 people will skew the results for 14,184 other people.

EDIT: Also, even if the actual infections are 10x the 1.4%, that means that 90% of people who have the virus don't get tested. In a set of 100 people at a Lowe's store, there could be asymptomatic people who don't get tested and therefore don't show up as a positive.

Deleted member 2897

Companies and municipalities are now enacting rules stating what can be on masks. Apparently people have started wearing Nazi masks, masks with genitalia, and all kinds of other stuff. LOL.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Companies and municipalities are now enacting rules stating what can be on masks. Apparently people have started wearing Nazi masks, masks with genitalia, and all kinds of other stuff. LOL.
i mean, its surprising it took this long for people to start putting stupid **** on masks. and if anyone is surprised by this, then i dunno what rock you live under

TechPreacher

Banned

So now, not only can they tell us where we can and can't go, and what we have to wear while we are there, but they can also tell us what it has to look like. Why does everyone not see what is going on here?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Here in KY idiot Gov Beshear is having a presser at 3pm central time regarding the next phase of whatever you wanna call it... A lot of people think he is getting ready to put us back on lockdown again.

Status
Not open for further replies.