Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Pence isn’t leading the fight against the Coronavirus, the CDC and scientific community is. He is leading the effort of interfacing with the different groups to make sure they have the resources they need and hurdles removed where possible.

All the drivel like “Pence literally doesn’t believe in science” (AOC) is just typical unwarranted political rage.

Pence isn’t leading the fight against the Coronavirus, the CDC and scientific community is. He is leading the effort of interfacing with the different groups to make sure they have the resources they need and hurdles removed where possible.

All the drivel like “Pence literally doesn’t believe in science” (AOC) is just typical unwarranted political rage.
Even Pelousy jumped on that bandwagon today. No surprise there.

Deleted member 2897

Even Pelousy jumped on that bandwagon today. No surprise there.

They are solely focused on getting him out of office. We’re going to have a pretty big spread here of the virus, so they want to blame him for a virus and the economic downturn that comes from it globally. As insane as that sounds, remember these are the same people who say he’s a Russian Agent and they accused a Supreme Court judge of being a serial gang rapist. They won’t bat an eye about blaming Trump for a new virus that leads to a global economic downturn. They have to start making up stuff now to get ahead of it.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What are people seeing in terms of impact on the job?

How about some examples in the office, with vendors, and suppliers?
The company I work for is a paper/chemical/janitorial distributor in Savannah. As of today, my boss is moving specific inventory (masks, nitrile gloves, safety goggles, & disinfectant spray) from our shelves to our stockroom for company use. We get some of our paper goods (napkins, cups, lids, etc) from China but have not heard of any shipments not coming in. We just did inventory last weekend and I would say our inventory level is good on items we get from overseas.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The company I work for is a paper/chemical/janitorial distributor in Savannah. As of today, my boss is moving specific inventory (masks, nitrile gloves, safety goggles, & disinfectant spray) from our shelves to our stockroom for company use. We get some of our paper goods (napkins, cups, lids, etc) from China but have not heard of any shipments not coming in. We just did inventory last weekend and I would say our inventory level is good on items we get from overseas.

I work in corporate lending and we're asking questions that result in exactly these kinds of answers, in order to assess risk.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I work in corporate lending and we're asking questions that result in exactly these kinds of answers, in order to assess risk.
The weird part about this move by my boss is that he is TYPICALLY very non-responsive to any potential emergency event that may occur. In Savannah our biggest thing is tropical storms/hurricanes and having to plan for evacuations. He won't make any decisions until forced to do so by state government agencies because he is so worried that if we close then we might lose the sale of a roll of toilet paper. (I'm joking but not really). This "hoarding" thing is puzzling to me because it's so out of character that I'm inclined to think that someone has (mistakenly) convinced him that we will need these items for personal protection of employees. At least I know where I can get masks & gloves.LOL

Deleted member 2897

California announced they are monitoring nearly 10,000 people who might have the virus. Sadly, that is not a typo. Why can't communists be more out in the open on this stuff? I kid, I kid. Apparently, we're still not checking people who are flying in from other countries like Italy, where there are now several hundred cases reported in just the last week. I am not sure you want to close your borders, but not doing so pretty much assures us of having it run through our country too. From what I can tell, the people who get hit pretty hard are still predominantly those with compromised immune systems or the elderly. Knowing that is half the battle - those folks can take extra precautions.

My personal concern is a trip I have scheduled to Italy and Sicily in June. If I decide to cancel because of the corona virus, my trip insurance probably won't cover my loss, because, although they allow and cover cancellations for health reasons, they won't for an epidemic. By June, if something doesn't happen, it well may have reached epidemic or pandemic levels. If the tour company cancels the trip, then I will either get a refund or credit towards a future trip, but since I am staying past the end of the tour, I will be out the money I will have spent on reservations for those extra days. This is really a mess.

Deleted member 2897

My personal concern is a trip I have scheduled to Italy and Sicily in June. If I decide to cancel because of the corona virus, my trip insurance probably won't cover my loss, because, although they allow and cover cancellations for health reasons, they won't for an epidemic. By June, if something doesn't happen, it well may have reached epidemic or pandemic levels. If the tour company cancels the trip, then I will either get a refund or credit towards a future trip, but since I am staying past the end of the tour, I will be out the money I will have spent on reservations for those extra days. This is really a mess.

Dang that sucks. Yea it’s almost like let’s either stop it or let it run rampant and pass. But the slow burn that could take months is in many ways worse.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh dude, I completely understand. I have a honeymoon planned for Bali in May that I booked way before coronavirus was a thing. The amount it has flatlined is comforting, but I'm still worried there will be serious risks then.

Oh dude, I completely understand. I have a honeymoon planned for Bali in May that I booked way before coronavirus was a thing. The amount it has flatlined is comforting, but I'm still worried there will be serious risks then.
I just spoke to a rep of my tour company, and she said that as of now, there are no plans to cancel. If conditions change so that they do need to, then the options I mentioned above will apply. My problem is the extra days I plan to spend in Rome, Florence, and Pisa. I think the solution there is to make reservations, but be sure they can be cancelled with full refund and just screw the insurance to cover those days. What I didn't mention earlier is that I also fly from Rome to Munich so that I can attend the Oberammergau Passion Play. I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just book a round trip from Augusta to Munich and still go to the Passion Play. That's assuming, of course, that there is no outbreak in Germany. For now though, I am not planning on changing anything other than buying extra insurance to cover the extra days I will spend in Italy.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and best of luck with your Bali honeymoon. I have been to Bali and loved it. I'm sure you will have a lot more on your mind (LOL), but if you have the time, be sure to take a side trip to Flores Island to see the komodo dragons. They are really something to see.

slugboy

Staff member
What are people seeing in terms of impact on the job?

How about some examples in the office, with vendors, and suppliers?

Company travel to China (including HK), Singapore, and some other Asian countries is not allowed currently. There have been changes to conferences and conference attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am involved in home building, and we were getting our kitchen cabinets fro China. Emphasis on “were”. Now we are making them locally. Costing us about $800 per house.
:-(

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Quite of few of my clients invest in multifamily properties, and they put LVT flooring in their units. Most people aren't aware of this, but a vast majority of the world's LVT flooring comes from China. In an industry based on margins, each percentage cost works against forecasted ROI...and that's a big deal if they are playing with other people's money. When the 10% tariffs hit, there was some shifting of numbers that had to be done for cost of each MF unit.

Well, the coronavirus is beginning to find its way into the LVT world in China:

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news...irus-hits-floorfloorcovering-industry/516534/

The 90 day is key. What happens when LVT isn't available? Do they go with an alternate product (tile/hardwood/etc) that's more readily available stateside but may be more expensive, or go with an inferior product that they will have to replace a lot sooner therefore creating a capital problem down the road?

It's going to be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.