Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Medal of Freedom recipient and conservative genius says Coronavirus is just the common cold and fentanyl isn't as bad as you see on TV. Reading this meandering train of consciousness is like a Trump speech.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2020/02/24/overhyped-coronavirus-weaponized-against-trump/?__twitter_impression=true/amp

Well, you did set yourself up by visiting that site. :D

Yes, science says the Flu is NOT the common cold. And the Coronavirus mortality rate is 10x the Flu. In his great and unmatched wisdom he is very wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CDC recently announced that the public should be prepared for the Covid 19 virus to spread within the US (which precipitated a huge sellof in the stock market). That's not the the eye raising part. This is:

https://www.businessinsider.com/first-possible-us-coronavirus-case-community-spread-2020-2

"At this time, the patient's exposure is unknown," the CDC said in a statement. "It's possible this could be an instance of community spread of COVID-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States."

A UC Davis internal memo said the patient was transferred from another hospital a week ago, but the CDC declined to test the individual, as the patient had not travelled to China nor had known contact with another person infected by COVID-19.

Well, isn't that interesting. Now the waiting game is how many people did that person infect in the week before, AND the week after they got to the hospital and it was diagnosed positive with Covid 19. Remember, signs of the virus does not appear for a week...so in that week think of the exponential contact potential and infection.

One has to think the CDC has a pretty good idea that something serious is building...

CDC recently announced that the public should be prepared for the Covid 19 virus to spread within the US (which precipitated a huge sellof in the stock market). That's not the the eye raising part. This is:

https://www.businessinsider.com/first-possible-us-coronavirus-case-community-spread-2020-2

"At this time, the patient's exposure is unknown," the CDC said in a statement. "It's possible this could be an instance of community spread of COVID-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States."

A UC Davis internal memo said the patient was transferred from another hospital a week ago, but the CDC declined to test the individual, as the patient had not travelled to China nor had known contact with another person infected by COVID-19.

Well, isn't that interesting. Now the waiting game is how many people did that person infect in the week before, AND the week after they got to the hospital and it was diagnosed positive with Covid 19. Remember, signs of the virus does not appear for a week...so in that week think of the exponential contact potential and infection.

One has to think the CDC has a pretty good idea that something serious is building...

The CDC is also working on a vaccine and they CLAIM they are close. We shall see.

slugboy

Staff member
The CDC is also working on a vaccine and they CLAIM they are close. We shall see.

You’re probably thinking of this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-...-coronavirus-vaccine-to-start-in-6-weeks.html

That’s a different group in HHS, not the CDC.

I hope you’re right on this, but I’m skeptical.

From what I understand, the CDC medical expert at the press conference expected a vaccine to take more than a year, and the WHO thinks it’ll be 18 months.

There’s also the definition of what “having a vaccine ready” is. Even if you find something that works in a lab today, and start testing it quickly, getting vaccines safely into large scale production isn’t easy. Think of the shortages of shingles and flu vaccines, where the vaccine has been known and tested for a while.

If it were a localized event, outsourcing production could help, but if there’s demand worldwide and especially in AsiaPac, I’d think demand is going to outstrip supply globally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
You’re probably thinking of this: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/us-...-coronavirus-vaccine-to-start-in-6-weeks.html

That’s a different group in HHS, not the CDC.

I hope you’re right on this, but I’m skeptical.

From what I understand, the CDC medical expert at the press conference expected a vaccine to take more than a year, and the WHO thinks it’ll be 18 months.

There’s also the definition of what “having a vaccine ready” is. Even if you find something that works in a lab today, and start testing it quickly, getting vaccines safely into large scale production isn’t easy. Think of the shortages of shingles and flu vaccines, where the vaccine has been known and tested for a while.

If it were a localized event, outsourcing production could help, but if there’s demand worldwide and especially in AsiaPac, I’d think demand is going to outstrip supply globally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The correct take on all this is that we are at minimum a year from a vaccine and a year before we have enough produced and then distributed to make a difference. This will get worse before it gets better. With the long incubation delay between infection and symptoms there will be many people unknowingly spreading the disease.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That the government is essentially canceling carnival in Venice should be an indicator of how serious Italy believes it to be. Given their recent flooding the tourism dollars are sorely needed, but don’t outweigh the potential health risk associated with the virus. It is also manifesting itself in non-standard early phases (stomach pain, cough, difficulty breathing,fever, no early indicators, or combination of) and seems to be contagious before any symptoms occur. It’s survivability rate outside of the body is still relatively unclear but concerning.

Add in that many major companies in China have begun pressuring the government to lift some of their quarantine zones and travel restrictions and who knows what comes next. My understanding is that most of the models the CDC and other WHOs generate are suggesting their may be a significantly higher number of cases currently reported.

This post isn’t meant to fear monger, just share information and this is a great PSA to remind people about being diligent with personal hygiene (frequent hand washing 20-30 seconds with soap, don’t tough your face with hands that haven’t been washed, cough into your elbow joint, etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you saying that China has under reported infections and deaths associated with COVID19??? [emoji47]

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Calm down everyone, Mike Pence is in charge of the Covid 19 US efforts...

...and by calm down I mean don't leave your house without a hazmat suit.

What I don't understand is the fact that this is not a new virus that just suddenly appeared in China. If you look on the back of a Lysol can or a container of Clorox wipes, "human corona virus" is listed on both of them as conditions that those products can be used against. And neither of those products have just suddenly appeared in the market. So why if the virus was already known, haven't t here at least been studies in the past to prevent humans from being infected or to negate or minimize the effects in those infected?

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
What I don't understand is the fact that this is not a new virus that just suddenly appeared in China. If you look on the back of a Lysol can or a container of Clorox wipes, "human corona virus" is listed on both of them as conditions that those products can be used against. And neither of those products have just suddenly appeared in the market. So why if the virus was already known, haven't t here at least been studies in the past to prevent humans from being infected or to negate or minimize the effects in those infected?
There are lots of variants of viruses.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

This one is a particularly new, nasty one.
The CDC said:
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

There are lots of variants of viruses.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html

This one is a particularly new, nasty one.
So it's sort of like different and new strains of the Flu. At any rate, it would seem like knowledge of prior variants would make it somewhat easier to address a new one, just like prevention of new strains of the Flu is facilitated to some extent by knowledge of prevention of earlier strains. I hope you noted in the sentence you quoted that coronaviruses are common in bats. And yet when that was pointed out by many back in January, those making that claim were derided as being racist. And who was making those claims of racism? Why, who else but those on the left engaging, as they always do, in identity politics. Now that we know that bats, and the eating of them in some parts of China, possibly (I repeat, POSSIBLY) is the original source, it appears those RACISM screamers aren't saying much.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You would have said that about anybody with an R next to his name.

Then it would surprise you to know that I actually wanted Kasic to be the Republican nominee in 2016 and thought he was the better candidate than Hillary in the general election. Hillary was too untenable and divisive for our nation...and it was a perfect storm for someone like Trump to become president.

Back to Pence and the Corona virus. His history suggests he has terrible judgment on infectious diseases, and very slow to respond to something that can quickly spiral:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/mike-pence-needle-exchanges-indiana.html

Note the date on the article. That isn't a hit piece in response to Pence being named the person in charge of the Covid 19 outbreak.

Too many lives and too much is at stake. I personally hope they get a group of leading infectious disease and immunology experts together and road map all scenarios and game plan for them. This isn't about Rs or Ds, it's about lives and a virus with no known vaccine at the moment. It's about the best person for the job...that's how I feel about any job that has the public welfare at stake. Regardless of party affiliation. My hope is Pence is doing exactly that, and if he is then that would be the best thing for us, and Pence. Hopefully the HIV outbreak he had to deal with taught him valuable lessons he can apply to the current situation.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Then it would surprise you to know that I actually wanted Kasic to be the Republican nominee in 2016 and thought he was the better candidate than Hillary in the general election. Hillary was too untenable and divisive for our nation...and it was a perfect storm for someone like Trump to become president.

You are me.

It's scary how so many here think that if you beleive Trump and his admin are buffoons you totally must be anti-Republican, anti-Conservative, leftist DIMocrat. Fact is, I have never voted for a federal Democrat in my lifetime of voting (28 years). I have locally, but never on the big stage - Didn't vote for any Clinton, nor Obama. I would have loved a decent Repub candidate in 2016 but we got two real POSs both of whom I didn't vote for. The Republican party today is nothing I can recognize anymore - it is Trump or nothing.

You are me.

It's scary how so many here think that if you beleive Trump and his admin are buffoons you totally must be anti-Republican, anti-Conservative, leftist DIMocrat. Fact is, I have never voted for a federal Democrat in my lifetime of voting (28 years). I have locally, but never on the big stage - Didn't vote for any Clinton, nor Obama. I would have loved a decent Repub candidate in 2016 but we got two real POSs both of whom I didn't vote for. The Republican party today is nothing I can recognize anymore - it is Trump or nothing.

Not really. The final choice was between Trump and Clinton unless you wanted to throw your vote away on 3rd party, and Trump was by far the lesser of the 2 evils. My real choice was Ted Cruz. I think he would have made a phenomenal president.

Back to Pence and the Corona virus. His history suggests he has terrible judgment on infectious diseases, and very slow to respond to something that can quickly spiral:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/08/us/politics/mike-pence-needle-exchanges-indiana.html

Note the date on the article. That isn't a hit piece in response to Pence being named the person in charge of the Covid 19 outbreak.

Too many lives and too much is at stake. I personally hope they get a group of leading infectious disease and immunology experts together and road map all scenarios and game plan for them. This isn't about Rs or Ds, it's about lives and a virus with no known vaccine at the moment. It's about the best person for the job...that's how I feel about any job that has the public welfare at stake. Regardless of party affiliation. My hope is Pence is doing exactly that, and if he is then that would be the best thing for us, and Pence. Hopefully the HIV outbreak he had to deal with taught him valuable lessons he can apply to the current situation.
Of all the Republicans running for President in 2016, Kasic was probably the least Republican, as well as the stupidest. Long before I ever decided to support Trump, I knew I would never support Kasic.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just a word of caution - PLEASE don't turn this into another political thread that has to be moderated (yes, I'm talking about you). It would be nice to keep it on the virus...a place to share helpful info. TIA

Edit: With the understanding that "Politics can be, and often is, involved in virtually every topic of discussion" it is important to point out that there are some fonts on this blog who turn political discussions into word weapons.
As someone who is interested in staying current on all relevant discussions about this virus I would ask AGAIN to try to keep this thread on topic.

Last edited:

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Not really. The final choice was between Trump and Clinton unless you wanted to throw your vote away on 3rd party, and Trump was by far the lesser of the 2 evils. My real choice was Ted Cruz. I think he would have made a phenomenal president.
I could not bring myself to put my mark on any of those people's names.

Status
Not open for further replies.