Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I just wanted to point out that reduced risk did not necessarily mean not being sick. Some people may read that reduce risk meant catching the virus.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
It's both, but primarily the not getting as sick part. The vulnerable do catch it easier.

Deleted member 2897

Yesterdays 17k new cases nationwide marked the lowest single day tally since March.

Meanwhile, if you look at the Johns Hopkins-type dashboards, Brazil has packed up their bag and gone home. They have totally removed their data from the system. They were officially moving into second place worldwide in deaths and decided to just turn the lights off and leave the room I guess. They think they can hide but they can't.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

double LOL
WHO walks back comments on asymptomatic coronavirus spread, says much is still unknown
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/who...coronavirus-spread-much-is-still-unknown.html

So just to close the loop on this, WHO has said:
1) COVID-19 is not transmitted from person to person, oh woops yes it is.
2) COVID-19 can live on certain surfaces a long time, oh woops no it doesn't, oh woops on some it does.
3) COVID-19 may spread through the air, oh woops, it cannot be spread through the air, oh woops yes it can.
4) COVID-19 cannot be spread from asymptomatic people, oh woops yes it can, oh woops no it can't, oh woops yes it can.

And I'm sure I'm missing even more.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So just to close the loop on this, WHO has said:
1) COVID-19 is not transmitted from person to person, oh woops yes it is.
2) COVID-19 can live on certain surfaces a long time, oh woops no it doesn't, oh woops on some it does.
3) COVID-19 may spread through the air, oh woops, it cannot be spread through the air, oh woops yes it can.
4) COVID-19 cannot be spread from asymptomatic people, oh woops yes it can, oh woops no it can't, oh woops yes it can.

And I'm sure I'm missing even more.
Wuhan virus did not start in Wuhan, opps oh yes it did.
Wuhan virus did not start in the wet market, oops oh yes it did, oops oh no it didn’t
We didn’t conceal alerting people there was an outbreak, oops sorry yes we did
Wuhan virus absolutely positively 100% did not start in their bioweapons lab, oops well we don’t have 100% smoking gun proof it started there

slugboy

Staff member
Hong Kong has done very well with COVID 19, in part because of their experience with SARS

1. Heavy use of masks (99% report using them, but surely higher than actual use)
2. Avoiding crowded areas
3. Quarantine outside of the home
4. Testing and dedicated hospital capacity

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ssons-hong-kong-avoiding-coronavirus-lockdown

Editing to add an interview I thought was solid: https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/c...op-epidemiologist-who-predicted-the-pandemic/

The epidemiologist that’s interviewed was an interim leader of the CDC, and had a book out in advance that projected a lot of what we’ve seen. His advice

1. Get outside
2. Get exercise
3. Keep distance (at least 6 feet, 12 feet is better)
4. Long term indoor contact is a bad idea
5. Cloth masks are kind of like a combination lock on your shed: they buy you a little extra time of safety

For a lot of people, it’s hard to square “cloth masks just buy a little time” with what we’ve seen in Southeast Asian countries where they’ve worked, but possibly with distancing, they’re just enough to get past the tipping point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Hong Kong has done very well with COVID 19, in part because of their experience with SARS

1. Heavy use of masks (99% report using them, but surely higher than actual use)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ssons-hong-kong-avoiding-coronavirus-lockdown

The CDC told us for months we didn't need to wear masks. Total and colossal failure. We had to all but break the CDC into pieces to be able to test. On July 4th, we should have a fireworks celebration where we demolish their headquarters.

slugboy

Staff member
The CDC told us for months we didn't need to wear masks. Total and colossal failure. We had to all but break the CDC into pieces to be able to test. On July 4th, we should have a fireworks celebration where we demolish their headquarters.

At the time, the CDC was concerned that people would consume the supply of surgical and N-95 masks needed in hospitals, and they were trying to preserve that supply. Some of that did happen. I don’t think they imagined the homespun industry of making your own masks to evolve like it did.

There’s also been a problem with communication in technical and medical terms not translating well to the general public, like the WHO statement on asymptomatic transmission not including presymptomatic transmission—most people aren’t going to distinguish between those. The CDC has had some problems communicating in plain terms when they’re used to a more technical audience.

Deleted member 2897

what is this guy suggesting? I don’t get it. Is he saying there is no causality between deaths and infections?

No, he's saying if the vulnerable and elderly are staying isolated, quarantined, and protected as they should, then a bunch of 20-30 year old people picking up the Coronavirus probably won't lead to a bunch of hospitalizations. Here in my state our cases have more than tripled in the last couple weeks. Its primarily young people 20-24 according a nurse friend whose been doing test result callbacks - folks protesting and they're also the ones who were hitting the bars and restaurants heavy once we opened back up. We will find out towards the end of this week how hospitalizations look, but so far we haven't budged an inch.

Deleted member 2897

At the time, the CDC was concerned that people would consume the supply of surgical and N-95 masks needed in hospitals, and they were trying to preserve that supply. Some of that did happen. I don’t think they imagined the homespun industry of making your own masks to evolve like it did.

There’s also been a problem with communication in technical and medical terms not translating well to the general public, like the WHO statement on asymptomatic transmission not including presymptomatic transmission—most people aren’t going to distinguish between those. The CDC has had some problems communicating in plain terms when they’re used to a more technical audience.

Yep, and that's a total and unmitigated fail.

Editing to add an interview I thought was solid: https://www.bluezones.com/2020/06/c...op-epidemiologist-who-predicted-the-pandemic/

The epidemiologist that’s interviewed was an interim leader of the CDC, and had a book out in advance that projected a lot of what we’ve seen. His advice

1. Get outside
2. Get exercise
3. Keep distance (at least 6 feet, 12 feet is better)
4. Long term indoor contact is a bad idea
5. Cloth masks are kind of like a combination lock on your shed: they buy you a little extra time of safety

For a lot of people, it’s hard to square “cloth masks just buy a little time” with what we’ve seen in Southeast Asian countries where they’ve worked, but possibly with distancing, they’re just enough to get past the tipping point.

Taiwan has done as well, if not better, but, of course, China and the left won't let us talk about Taiwan.

Deleted member 2897

Ill give you credit for one thing. You find the most random twitter accounts to make your points. But ok, sure. Georgia recorded its deadliest day in 3 weeks yesterday and the 4th deadliest day it has had since COVID started. Should we all stay inside like he suggests?

Vulnerable and elderly people should absolutely stay inside. Quarantine, isolate, limit your exposure to other people and crowds. Use good hygiene.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Ill give you credit for one thing. You find the most random twitter accounts to make your points. But ok, sure. Georgia recorded its deadliest day in 3 weeks yesterday and the 4th deadliest day it has had since COVID started. Should we all stay inside like he suggests?
Good catch man. Seriously Milwaukee, you’re using a comedian, martial artist as your expert on the subject?

LibertyTurns

Banned
My company has been trying to stay ahead of this junk and today we had a meeting with the hospital, the local health officials & assorted others. I asked if there were any common threads among the deaths in my county and got the following responses:

A. Well, I see you cited the number of deaths we’ve reported but it’s important to understand the context. For example, we had a series of nursing home deaths where the 1st person to die had a relative that visited a person that traveled to NY and visited a person that had C19 & another person that associated with that person died from C19, a confirmed case. So it’s possible that none of the 5 people died of C19 but based on the linkage we classified them as C19 deaths because it seemed more likely than not. We didn’t want to waste tests so on the basis of safety that’s why we did that.

B. Some others showed up at the hospital in respiratory distress. Again, maybe they didn’t have C19 but rather than doing wasteful tests we classified them as C19 as a matter of public safety. You know, there’s people with COPD and are morbidly obese or have lung cancer or something like that. If we thought they would still be alive or may not have died, And they looked like they had the symptoms we classified some of those as C19 even though we didn’t have definitive proof you seem to be hinting at.

So I asked, well we’ve got less than 2 dozen C19 deaths and you seem to indicate a high percentage are not really confirmed as dying from C19. Is the confirmed percentage 50%, 25% or 10% of the total your citing?

“Well, 1 case the guy that went to NYC & NJ was confirmed. We’re pretty sure the 88 y/o woman was a C19 death too so I guess 10% would be accurate. We don’t have results but we’re confident that’s what it is”

Freaking amazing.

In the end we all agreed:

A. Stay home if you’re sick
B. Stay home if you’re feeble, bad health
C. Don’t sneeze on people
D. Face masks when around large groups of people may afford some protection
E. A clean work space is better than a dirty one
F. Don’t travel to hotspots

Status
Not open for further replies.