Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Too bad for them... Let everyone that wants to be on campus for school be there. Let teams that want to play football do so, assuming that their campus is open.
It was only two years ago that the California Supreme Court ruled that Universities have a duty of care for enrolled students in the classroom and extracurricular activities. That case wasn’t directly related to viruses but you can probably see the potential legal ramifications of just saying, go to class at your own risk.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It was only two years ago that the California Supreme Court ruled that Universities have a duty of care for enrolled students in the classroom and extracurricular activities. That case wasn’t directly related to viruses but you can probably see the potential legal ramifications of just saying, go to class at your own risk.

For sure.

Just don't f...over everyone else because some people would rather starve a patient to death if it means preventing a virus from infecting them.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We need some football sanctuaries to break out over there. They seem to be ok breaking every law except for ones that normal people want. Aren’t us football loving Americans entitled to a safe space too?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Wow. They should all be fired and put out of a job. Who paid for that “research”?

For those who didn’t read, here is what they say in the abstract:
the historically unprecedented increase in new UI claims during the weeks of March 15-21 and March 22-28 was largely across-the-board and occurred in all states. This suggests most of the economic disruption was driven by the health shock itself.”

Huh? Why does it suggest that? How did they come up with that theory?

If you read the paper, they looked at the differences in unemployment claims by state and compared that to the number of cases and there wasn’t a correlation...in other words, they then conclude everyone just got scared and ran.

So really, the data shows the answer is the opposite. If our cases in South Carolina are a tiny fraction of New York, we wouldn’t have seen a similar decrease in economic activity but for the government shutting everything down. I’m not sure why they don’t see right in front of them that the data shows the opposite.

Where I live, no businesses were closing and people weren’t bailing back in early March. I don’t know of 1 single solitary business in the entire state that closed before the state told them to close. The whole country just about shut down at the same time. The case differences are largely a population density/mass transit/social distancing adherence thing.

This paper smells like a “not my fault” butt covering exercise. I look forward to the peer reviews ripping them a new behiner LOL.
What they are saying is that different states responded differently at different times (you may remember), but that the rise in unemployment was pretty uniform, despite the differences in policy and the differences in the impact of the disease. Now, you can twist on that hook as long as you want, but it appears that the data supports them. If that's the case, then government shutdowns can't be the uniform cause of sudden increases in employment. As they say, it wasn't that they had no effect; it's that the effect had already started before any state took action.

This is actually very similar to findings about service businesses. Most of them had already lost gigantic numbers of customers before any shutdowns took place. The population was, iow, voting with their feet once the scope and danger of the virus became evident. And, of course, they still are. See:

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/south-reopening-restaurants-coronavirus-opentable.html

Apparently, Americans do have as much sense as the Chinese! Who knew?

What they are saying is that different states responded differently at different times (you may remember), but that the rise in unemployment was pretty uniform, despite the differences in policy and the differences in the impact of the disease. Now, you can twist on that hook as long as you want, but it appears that the data supports them. If that's the case, then government shutdowns can't be the uniform cause of sudden increases in employment. As they say, it wasn't that they had no effect; it's that the effect had already started before any state took action.

This is actually very similar to findings about service businesses. Most of them had already lost gigantic numbers of customers before any shutdowns took place. The population was, iow, voting with their feet once the scope and danger of the virus became evident. And, of course, they still are. See:

https://slate.com/business/2020/05/south-reopening-restaurants-coronavirus-opentable.html

How is that so when, prior to the virus, we had record low numbers of unemployment?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good. My experience will be greatly improved. I can only imagine how many people you’ve told to sit down.
Well, there is that. Problem = it is the whippersnappers who are standing up, not the geezers. Maybe you'll luck out and nobody will be in front of you.

Btw, if they are call an usher and get them to move at least 10 feet from your seats.

Suit yourself. I would advise reading this that Bongo posted earlier:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Grant Field is the last place in Atlanta (unless you are a member of a gym) that you should want to go. A simple fact from the post: when a person who is infected coughs, she releases 200M virus particles at a velocity of 200 mph. Think about that for a minute.
I guess I am willing to take my chances. I think there is a larger risk of me having a wreck on I-20 than there is of me getting infected at a football game, PROVIDING that seating is reallocated to provide for better social distancing. I DO think that must be done, and I think that it will be. Limiting the attendance at games to ST holders would mean probably 25,000 in a 55,000+ stadium, and there would be plenty of room to spread everyone out. I would definitely not go to a game at Clemson or Athens or any stadium like that, but, call it naive if you will, I just don't think the problem would be very great at Grant Field.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am 69 and agree..if GT plays I will be in the stands. I am not obese and have no underlying health conditions. Surely it should be my choice to make and not some bureaucrat's?

The problem with that is you can't force kids to play, and I highly doubt colleges want the PR nightmare of forcing kids to play or pulling scholarships. If the virus is still around, and somehow kids make it through Fall camp without become vectors and spreading throughout the team, the last thing a college or the NCAA wants is a game getting cancelled because the the star QB or RB got sick because they caught it from their teammates. How do you play when the entire OL and the QBs can't play because they're being quarantined at home? Or worst case, the entire team gets infected with the virus and one or two of the kids dies because they had underlying problems that haven't been identified yet but the virus made it worse and led to their deaths. Remember when AJ Gray had to quit the team because he had a heart condition they didn't find until later in his career? No one wants a tragedy they could have avoided, at least from a PR standpoint.

All it will take is an infection to run rampant throughout one team to shut it down for everyone.

That would be because we didn't have SARS-Cov-2 to contend with.

This has been another in a series of simple answers to simple questions.
Maybe I misunderstood what you originally said, but it sure sounds to me like you are backtracking a little now. You said, "then government shutdowns can't be the uniform cause of sudden increases in employment. As they say, it wasn't that they had no effect; it's that the effect had already started before any state took action." Unemployment may have been down slightly at first, but it was only after the shutdowns that it skyrocketed to the levels it is at today.

The problem with that is you can't force kids to play, and I highly doubt colleges want the PR nightmare of forcing kids to play or pulling scholarships. If the virus is still around, and somehow kids make it through Fall camp without become vectors and spreading throughout the team, the last thing a college or the NCAA wants is a game getting cancelled because the the star QB or RB got sick because they caught it from their teammates. How do you play when the entire OL and the QBs can't play because they're being quarantined at home? Or worst case, the entire team gets infected with the virus and one or two of the kids dies because they had underlying problems that haven't been identified yet but the virus made it worse and led to their deaths. Remember when AJ Gray had to quit the team because he had a heart condition they didn't find until later in his career? No one wants a tragedy they could have avoided, at least from a PR standpoint.

All it will take is an infection to run rampant throughout one team to shut it down for everyone.
That is all obviously true, but the original posts said that IF THERE IS A SEASON, at least some of us will be there. Frankly, I still don't expect there to be a season, but IF there is, then I will be there in the stands cheering on the Jackets.

Interesting that with all the controversy concerning hydroxychloroquine, Dr. Fauci is now even expressing some concern about Remdesivir, at least to the extent that he is no longer focusing on what was previously described as stunning test results and now questioning the thoroughness of those tests.

Deleted member 2897

That’s your speculation. It can’t be proven...BECAUSE WE ALL SHUTDOWN. With the exception of a couple states (which is splitting hairs because they had stay at home recommendations instead of orders), the rest of us have been shut down for 2 months. It was the middle of March. The large unemployment filings didn’t begin until after that. People will in fact be very careful returning to society, and it will take a long time for people to come back. That is true. But on the front end nobody ever had a chance to decide. This paper has no science behind it - it’s like a kid thinking what might have happened and writing it down.

Deleted member 2897

I don’t think you would have to force kids to play. You would have to force them not to play. The data shows that fit kids that age are as close to zero chance of an adverse health outcome as you can get. If your worry is there might be an undiagnosed AJ Gray out there, then we shouldn’t play football at all anyway. We play basketball right through the Flu season every year. And every year it rips through a good part of our team. This disease has no difference in risk to the Flu in that demographic.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s only 3 of us allowed to post in the politics section any more.
Yup. I am banned. I kinda miss it too. I think the one strike and you're out policy is a bit too much myself, but it does make the mods jobs easier (and their job would drive me NUTS, so I sympathize!).

Personally, I think a longer ban is the answer......instead of exile and banishment and having your name erased from the rolls ...LOL

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Suit yourself. I would advise reading this that Bongo posted earlier:

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

Grant Field is the last place in Atlanta (unless you are a member of a gym) that you should want to go. A simple fact from the post: when a person who is infected coughs, she releases 200M virus particles at a velocity of 200 mph. Think about that for a minute.
I think the larger unspoken problem here is the damage that mitigation is doing to our society and to large numbers of people within it.

Getting sick is not that big a deal. There, I said it. Dying is a big deal. But getting sick really isn't. The idea hat a young person might get sick shouldn't frighten everyone. The fact that they become a carrier and might infect the few people who are seriously at risk is, but that can be successfully mitigated without disrupting (or destroying) whole swaths of existing society.

The media make money off of sowing fear and disinformation so in some respects I cannot blame them. The folks who believe that and unwaveringly peddle the same fear, unbalanced by the consequences, are the ones who do more harm than good.

Too many people will die because of depression and suicide when mental health services are shut down. Too many people are putting off medical procedures that should not be put off and in years ot come we will be reading about spikes in cancer deaths because of this pandemics scare tactics that are keeping people from even visiting hospitals.

Think about *that* for minute. Or two.

Deleted member 2897

Yup. I am banned. I kinda miss it too. I think the one strike and you're out policy is a bit too much myself, but it does make the mods jobs easier (and their job would drive me NUTS, so I sympathize!).

Personally, I think a longer ban is the answer......instead of exile and banishment and having your name erased from the rolls ...LOL

The unequal enforcement of their policies there is the bigger problem. John doesn’t want political arguments on his site, and this is the easiest way for him to accomplish that.

Status
Not open for further replies.