Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I might add that just this kind of scenario is probably what will kill off football and basketball season this year. If the contact at practice doesn't get you, the weight room will. All it will take is one athlete at one major school.

Provided that the schools decide to play in the first place, that is. Let's hope more sober heads prevail on that question.
And regarding the fans, at a game people are yelling which even outdoors is a recipe for an explosion of infections. Probably even more infectious than singing in a group.
You two make a great pair... not much fun...

...but a great pair. ;)(y)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And regarding the fans, at a game people are yelling which even outdoors is a recipe for an explosion of infections. Probably even more infectious than singing in a group.
I love Tech football, but, as I told my GTAA contact this week, until there's a vaccine I wouldn't touch Grant Field with a ten-foot pole. He seemed to have heard that a lot recently.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I love Tech football, but, as I told my GTAA contact this week, until there's a vaccine I wouldn't touch Grant Field with a ten-foot pole. He seemed to have heard that a lot recently.

If we have a football season, I’m curious to see how the stands look in terms of attendance. I feel that we (GT) are a much more pessimistic/negative group of fans as a whole, much more than a lot of schools. I could see our stands being even more empty than usual.

Deleted member 2897

If we have a football season, I’m curious to see how the stands look in terms of attendance. I feel that we (GT) are a much more pessimistic/negative group of fans as a whole, much more than a lot of schools. I could see our stands being even more empty than usual.

If we can all wear masks and pack the stands during the Spanish Flu, no reason we can't now. No elderly or immuno-compromised or morbidly obese people should attend. Those are really the only people at any material risk of adverse health ramifications of catching the virus. Institute a bring your own food/drink policy, have hand sanitizer stations, don't touch stuff, etc etc etc.
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcyMzQ2MDg1OTU4NzU2Mjky%2F1918.jpg

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
If we can all wear masks and pack the stands during the Spanish Flu, no reason we can't now. No elderly or immuno-compromised or morbidly obese people should attend. Those are really the only people at any material risk of adverse health ramifications of catching the virus. Institute a bring your own food/drink policy, have hand sanitizer stations, don't touch stuff, etc etc etc.
https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcyMzQ2MDg1OTU4NzU2Mjky%2F1918.jpg
No morbidly obese is going to exclude a whole lot of Georgians...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice try, @bwelbo ... all the people in that photo are dead.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I might add that just this kind of scenario is probably what will kill off football and basketball season this year. If the contact at practice doesn't get you, the weight room will. All it will take is one athlete at one major school.

Provided that the schools decide to play in the first place, that is. Let's hope more sober heads prevail on that question.

Good thing we are way ahead of this doing our workouts during the pregame.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As has been pointed out here before, Tech fans, as a group, are old geezers. I'm 74 and a lot of the people sitting around me are that old, at least. I can almost guarantee you that nobody over 65 is going to show up for any athletic event - even a t-ball game - until we get wide-spread vaccination.

Except for people who are tired of living, that is.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
As has been pointed out here before, Tech fans, as a group, are old geezers. I'm 74 and a lot of the people sitting around me are that old, at least. I can almost guarantee you that nobody over 65 is going to show up for any athletic event - even a t-ball game - until we get wide-spread vaccination.

Well....I was going to add that in as well. We do seem to be a much older (on average) fanbase than most, so we may very well be impacted by that also.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Good thing we are way ahead of this doing our workouts during the pregame.
I understand what you are saying, but I doubt lifting weights in the open air will prevent spread. And, like I said, all it'll take is one case.

But I doubt the colleges will open this fall anyway. And, if they do, I doubt that 25% of the students will show up. Why should their parents take the risk?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is interesting:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27127.pdf

Short paper: what caused the sudden rise of unemployment? Was it a matter of how bad the pandemic was or the mitigation efforts made by the states? Rojas et al say it was the health shocks. People were already bailing out of work and businesses were already closing when the shutdown orders came and they were doing this nationwide, no matter what the epidemiological conditions in their state were. All the mitigation did was keep the contraction on pace.

Usual caveat: this hasn't faced peer review. On a quick read there's nothing wrong with the methods used, but I didn't read enough on the data to make me necessarily believe it.

Deleted member 2897

This is interesting:

https://www.nber.org/papers/w27127.pdf

Short paper: what caused the sudden rise of unemployment? Was it a matter of how bad the pandemic was or the mitigation efforts made by the states? Rojas et al say it was the health shocks. People were already bailing out of work and businesses were already closing when the shutdown orders came and they were doing this nationwide, no matter what the epidemiological conditions in their state were. All the mitigation did was keep the contraction on pace.

Usual caveat: this hasn't faced peer review. On a quick read there's nothing wrong with the methods used, but I didn't read enough on the data to make me necessarily believe it.

Wow. They should all be fired and put out of a job. Who paid for that “research”?

For those who didn’t read, here is what they say in the abstract:
the historically unprecedented increase in new UI claims during the weeks of March 15-21 and March 22-28 was largely across-the-board and occurred in all states. This suggests most of the economic disruption was driven by the health shock itself.”

Huh? Why does it suggest that? How did they come up with that theory?

If you read the paper, they looked at the differences in unemployment claims by state and compared that to the number of cases and there wasn’t a correlation...in other words, they then conclude everyone just got scared and ran.

So really, the data shows the answer is the opposite. If our cases in South Carolina are a tiny fraction of New York, we wouldn’t have seen a similar decrease in economic activity but for the government shutting everything down. I’m not sure why they don’t see right in front of them that the data shows the opposite.

Where I live, no businesses were closing and people weren’t bailing back in early March. I don’t know of 1 single solitary business in the entire state that closed before the state told them to close. The whole country just about shut down at the same time. The case differences are largely a population density/mass transit/social distancing adherence thing.

This paper smells like a “not my fault” butt covering exercise. I look forward to the peer reviews ripping them a new behiner LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT_EE78

Banned
This is an interesting study:

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2

The numbers aren't large enough to be conclusive, but I think with the abundance of hydroxychloroquine being used the numbers will start being more definitive down the road. Of course, if that study starts ringing true, the affects of the drug won't matter to those that died.
geez, that's the same VA study which has been debunked several times in this thread. fraudulent and done by optomologists

I am 75, and if we have a season, I will be there

Status
Not open for further replies.