Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Real talk: I have a sickly 14 month old who has had every illness in the world since he’s been in daycare. Should I be worried or are the reports that kids aren’t as prone true?

Snark talk: it’s ironic that a lot of the people dismissing this as a hoax are the elderly who are in the most vulnerable category.

I'm not in the elderly category, but my mom is, as well as immune system challenged.

I'm scared to death of catching it, more out of danger to her, than me.

GT_EE78

Banned
Well, Savannah is going ahead with St. Patrick's Day celebration. More hand sanitizer stations in the festival area. It seems that hotel occupancy rates are expected to remain on par with historical levels, considering that the 17th is on a Tuesday.
A few days before that would be a good time to put together an emergency kit.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
On a somewhat silly side note, 0.01% of the Icelandic population has been diagnosed with Coronavirus. If that rate were present here, we'd have over 3 million people with the virus.
... try the math again

330,000,000 * . 0001 = 33,000 ... Not over 3 million.

[emoji4]

GT_EE78

Banned
Coronavirus outbreak prompts Tito's Vodka to remind customers that vodka isn't hand sanitizer
That's because most of it is 90 proof or 45% alcohol where 60% alcohol is required to kill the germs. If your vodka is 180 proof it will work fine..

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Screenshot_20200305-230429.png

GT_EE78

Banned
> somehow I'm doubtful that the US can ditch regulatory hurdles like SK did after MERS in 2015.
Virus Testing Blitz Appears to Keep Korea Death Rate Low
Testing widely has meant South Korea knows where its infections are centered, and so far they’ve been able to keep them largely contained.
By late February, when South Korea’s outbreak began to accelerate, four local companies had approval to sell kits to test for the virus. The country is now able to test more than 10,000 people a day. In neighboring Japan, only 2,684 people in total have been tested as of March 3.The tests can deliver results within hours, with sensitivity rates of over 90% and are relatively easy to administer. Officials in Seoul have started operating “drive-through” testing stations
https://sports.yahoo.com/south-korea-tests-hundreds-thousands-210000450.html

Not sure if this was shared before, but this is a well done Live tracker from Johns Hopkins with maps, data, etc.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
I would say with the upcoming Masters Tournament in Augusta, that draws in people from not only all over the US, but all over the world, the number of cases in Georgia will probably increase in April. Since I live in Augusta, am I worried? No, not really.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Stating the obvious... unlike the flu, this is a virus with no cure nor vaccination.

The 3,411 reported deaths put into context by Becker's Healthcare:
- This year’s flu season has seen 32 million get the flu, with 18,000 deaths. - So far, spread of COVID-19 in the U.S. and most other countries has been relatively low.

- Of those who contract the virus, most will exhibit mild or no symptoms. The majority of those who developed more complex symptoms have fully recovered.

So yea, let's shut everything down.

Deleted member 2897

Stating the obvious... unlike the flu, this is a virus with no cure nor vaccination.

The 3,411 reported deaths put into context by Becker's Healthcare:

So yea, let's shut everything down.

The death rate is 20-50x higher than the regular Flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.