Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Right, but its the best we've got. It may have a delay, because we're effectively reporting where we were maybe 1-2 weeks ago, but it is what it is.

It is the best we have, but it isn't actually "what it is". If everybody was tested, then it would be accurate. Since only at-risk people are currently being tested it is possible that it is much more wide-spread and we just don't know it. Only at-risk people showing symptoms are being tested, so the mortality rates being reported are probably much higher than actual.(If five times the number of people tested actually have the virus, then the mortality rate would be much lower)

We do not know how many people in the US are infected with the virus. We only know how many people have been tested and have the virus. The data is useless since not everyone has been tested. The rate of increase is useless because it tracks the rate of testing more than the rate of spread of the virus.

People should concentrate on hygiene more than hype.

Deleted member 2897

It is the best we have, but it isn't actually "what it is". If everybody was tested, then it would be accurate. Since only at-risk people are currently being tested it is possible that it is much more wide-spread and we just don't know it. Only at-risk people showing symptoms are being tested, so the mortality rates being reported are probably much higher than actual.(If five times the number of people tested actually have the virus, then the mortality rate would be much lower)

We do not know how many people in the US are infected with the virus. We only know how many people have been tested and have the virus. The data is useless since not everyone has been tested. The rate of increase is useless because it tracks the rate of testing more than the rate of spread of the virus.

People should concentrate on hygiene more than hype.

Sorry, I meant it is what it is in terms of it not being accurate, but the best we can do right now.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A preliminary study conducted by Chinese scientists with Peking University's School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai that indicates the virus may have mutated at least once.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

“During the 2018-19 flu season, about 35 million people in the US contracted the flu and about 34,000 died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This flu season, an estimated 32 million people have gotten the flu, with 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths.”

From the Business Insider

So why isn’t there a political argument over the Flu ? 32 million cases so far and 18,000 deaths. I hear crickets about this. Both virus have the exact same contagion rate and neither are in the top 5 most deadly, why do we react like we do ?

THE MEDIA !

The rates of occurrence in China are dropping scientist surmise that it’s the natural flow of new ailments, the longer they are around the more our bodies adapt.

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-5_14-13-11.png
    upload_2020-3-5_14-13-11.png
    250 bytes · Views: 17

Deleted member 2897

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

“During the 2018-19 flu season, about 35 million people in the US contracted the flu and about 34,000 died, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This flu season, an estimated 32 million people have gotten the flu, with 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths.”

From the Business Insider

So why isn’t there a political argument over the Flu ? 32 million cases so far and 18,000 deaths. I hear crickets about this. Both virus have the exact same contagion rate and neither are in the top 5 most deadly, why do we react like we do ?

THE MEDIA !

The rates of occurrence in China are dropping scientist surmise that it’s the natural flow of new ailments, the longer they are around the more our bodies adapt.

The death rate of the Flu this year was 0.05% by that math (18k / 32m). So far the Coronavirus appears more contagious and has a death rate about 4% - 80x higher. That's why it has all the attention - if it spreads like the Flu did, we'd have 4% * 32 million cases = 1.3 million deaths. I don't see any indication it will remotely approach those numbers, but a death rate 80x on a more contagious virus perks the medical community's ears up.

Yeah the more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

I’m gone, I’ll get my news elsewhere. I can’t think of a better example of power corrupting than a site of college students and adults being engaged in selective censorship. Not worth it this is a factious site with these MODS. Better see it the way they do or your thoughts are gone !

Have fun folks the double standard and lack of investigation before deletion is sickening
I hope you cool off overnight; I would hate to lose you here. I totally sympathize with your frustration though. Based on what you have said, it just makes no sense whatsoever that your post was deleted.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As I stated previously, this thread is about information/conversation concerning the coronavirus. I asked that the inflammatory-type political posts stay out. Yes, I removed a post that was "irrelevant to the thread topic" and I just removed a bunch of posts where someone decided to rant & rave about moderating. If you have a problem with the way this blog is moderated then you are welcome to voice your opinion in a PM.

Deleted member 2897

I apologize for contributing to this dust-up, as I posted a humorous tweet/meme about an article that then got Technut1990 responding into it. I was just trying to post something funny to lighten the mood and didn't mean this to happen.

GT_EE78

Banned
A preliminary study conducted by Chinese scientists with Peking University's School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai that indicates the virus may have mutated at least once.
I also read an article about that which implied that a mutation wasn't that surprising. What i read did not tell the significance tho, so I was left wondering if the mutation would be detected with the same test, clear up with same treatments or killed off witj same vaccine when available. I'm still not sure to what degree it matters?

Deleted member 2897

US positive tests (going from memory) last 4 days:

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well, Savannah is going ahead with St. Patrick's Day celebration. More hand sanitizer stations in the festival area. It seems that hotel occupancy rates are expected to remain on par with historical levels, considering that the 17th is on a Tuesday.

GT_EE78

Banned
todays new cases
  • 55 new cases and 1 new death in the United States, including at least:
    - fifth case in Illinois a person wh from Italy. He’s in isolation at Rush. [source]'
    - second case in New Jersey: a 32-year-old man from Fort Lee [source]'
    - 2 cases in Harris County, Texas: both are travel-related [source]'
    - 1 new death in King County (Washington state): a woman in her 90s
    - a resident of Sonoma County (second case there) who traveled internationally on the Grand Princess ship from San Francisco to Mexico [source]
    - 4 in Los Angeles County, California [source]
    - the 1st cases in San Francisco, California [source]'
    - 11 in New York State: 3 are in serious condition and are treated in intensive care units [source] New cases include a man in his 40s and a woman in her 80s [source]
    - the 1st case in Nevada
    [source]
    - 1 in Tennessee (Williamson County) [source]
    - a Facebook worker in Seattle [source]
    - the 1st case in New Jersey: a man in his 30s hospitalized in Bergen County [source]
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

GT_EE78

Banned
A Tale of Two Outbreaks: Hong Kong & Italy (3/4/20 i think)

Up until two weeks ago Italy had but 3 known COVID-19 cases. Today the ECDC reported they had in excess of 2,500 cases, and they have also reported 80 deaths.

By contrast, Hong Kong - which not only shares a border with Mainland China, but has been dealing with cases since mid-January - has only recently passed the 100 case mark. Across the bay, Macao has even fewer cases (n=10).

If you had asked anybody a month ago which of these two regions would have the most cases in early March, few would have picked Italy. Granted Italy has a much larger population than Hong Kong, but even so, the choices made by both governments have made the biggest difference.

Hong Kong has been very proactive in their response, and closed its schools when they had fewer than 40 cases - have kept them shuttered since late January - and intend to keep them closed until mid April at the earliest.

Italy, on the other hand, only today announced a limited - two week - closure of schools across the country.

Hong Kong closed most public venues - museums, sporting events, movie theatres, bars and most restaurants - in late January (see HK Epidemic Measures: Curbing Travel From Mainland - Closing Public Places - Work From Home Orders) and has kept them closed.

Italy - not so much.

A few temporary cancellations of sporting events in the hardest hit regions, but nothing like the response we’ve seen in Hong Kong. There are signs, at least over the past couple of days, that Italy may be taking stronger actions - like canceling more sporting events, and the aforementioned closing of schools - but they may be both too `measured’ and too late to have much impact.

There appear to be two philosophies at work here.
In Hong Kong, they assumed the disease was already in the community, and they not only continued to work to prevent further entry, they put very tough measures in place to prevent its spread.
Italy, on the other hand, has been mostly reactive. Waiting for community spread to become obvious, and then dealing with each outbreak as if it were a limited event, rather than a systemic problem.

https://flutrackers.com/forum/forum...e-of-two-outbreaks-hong-kong-italy#post833578

Deleted member 2897

A Tale of Two Outbreaks: Hong Kong & Italy (3/4/20 i think)

Up until two weeks ago Italy had but 3 known COVID-19 cases. Today the ECDC reported they had in excess of 2,500 cases.

To show how quickly things change, Italy has about 4,000 cases now. And this article is only like 2 days old.

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Real talk: I have a sickly 14 month old who has had every illness in the world since he’s been in daycare. Should I be worried or are the reports that kids aren’t as prone true?

Snark talk: it’s ironic that a lot of the people dismissing this as a hoax are the elderly who are in the most vulnerable category.

Status
Not open for further replies.