Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I am very curious to hear others’ views on this question....what will be a “win” in the fight against Covid-19?

if 10,000 Americans die is that a win? 20,000? What’s your take?
I don’t think it’s possible to “win” the fight, at least not anymore. A “win” would’ve been to prevent the spread or severely limit it enough where the drastic measures we have in place throughout the world wouldn’t be necessary. Now all there is to do is limit the losses. Do as much as possible to protect healthcare workers, as we’ve already lost hundreds of them, probably thousands throughout the world. A reliable vaccine is about the only thing close to a “win” as we can get now, and it’s unlikely that will occur until at least early 2021.

Deleted member 2897

Actually, that’s exactly what Cuomo in NY was asking hospitals to start doing...in his press update today

Not going to work. 1000 patients in NYC could each require 30-50 full sets of PPE per day from the staff, which equates to hundreds of thousands of sets a week. I don’t see any reasonable way a hospital administrator can call around to hospitals and get a box here or there sent. You need to go to manufacturers and order more.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not going to work. 1000 patients in NYC could each require 30-50 full sets of PPE per day from the staff, which equates to hundreds of thousands of sets a week. I don’t see any reasonable way a hospital administrator can call around to hospitals and get a box here or there sent. You need to go to manufacturers and order more.
Yup, and Cuomo said that was the cultural norm. But he has assigned hospitals to Groups where they are now encouraged to share resources or even transfer patients among them to meet needs. This is because overall, there is lots of equipment, but it is often not in the place where it is needed. To demand more when some is sitting in a stockroom 50 mikes away is sub-optimal.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There have been 1300 flu deaths in March and another 7500 died due to pneumonia possibly related to the flu. Coronavirus is starting to catch up. By the way, the flu is currently above the threshold to be classified by the CDC to be epidemic.

In my line of work Purchasing Agents call the primary supplier first & then secondary suppliers. After that they call other companies individually to see if they have any extra. It’s their job to keep the business running. PAs often over-order and those caught with a ton of supply they’re not using are more than happy to off-load it. When our PA’s get caught with too much stuff, particularly perishable items, they shop it around. These people don’t work in a vacuum, there’s a worldwide network of them and they screw up at the same rate as everybody else. It’s sheer laziness to whine that government needs to help you do your job.

Deleted member 2897

There have been 1300 flu deaths in March and another 7500 died due to pneumonia possibly related to the flu. Coronavirus is starting to catch up. By the way, the flu is currently above the threshold to be classified by the CDC to be epidemic.

While we lost more than the last months Flu deaths in the last 1 week from COVID-19, it’s not just about deaths. Your point illustrates that perfectly. The hospitals are already full. We don’t have much spare capacity for anything, much less this virus.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
While we lost more than the last months Flu deaths in the last 1 week from COVID-19, it’s not just about deaths. Your point illustrates that perfectly. The hospitals are already full. We don’t have much spare capacity for anything, much less this virus.

I wonder how much of that is due to the hysteria that was drummed up about this, and then that caused some to panic and go to hospitals when they might’ve not before?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much of that is due to the hysteria that was drummed up about this, and then that caused some to panic and go to hospitals when they might’ve not before?

For that to have an effect, it would mean that hospitals are admitting people that should not be admitted(would not have been admitted before). I could believe that people seeking treatment has increased, but you don't get admitted to the hospital simply because you would like to. Especially with ICU rooms, you don't get put into one just because you are afraid you might be sick.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I guess some, if not many, of you will not even bother to watch this video because it was on Fox News, but the NY doctor who appears has some extremely vital information. It's not necessarily new information, but he spells it all out better than anyone I have seen to date.

Isn't that the exact same thing that the CDC has been saying for a month? It is the exact same thing that the CDC has had on their website for years to prevent the spread of flu.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am very curious to hear others’ views on this question....what will be a “win” in the fight against Covid-19?

if 10,000 Americans die is that a win? 20,000? What’s your take?
Not sure there is a win.
Population in the US 327,000,000 if say we can control it and only 5 % in the US get it that would be 16,350,000 now lets say we hit below the death rate and only 1% die from it that would be 163,500 . Is that a Win ? Some on here would say as long as it's not me or anyone in my family then it's a win. And there is the problem people who don't care about others.
( other than the population I just make up the 5% and 1% that is not based on facts)

Isn't that the exact same thing that the CDC has been saying for a month? It is the exact same thing that the CDC has had on their website for years to prevent the spread of flu.
I think it was good to hear somebody on the front lines offer a few words of personal assurance. I tend to listen more to people actually involved in things than to anonymous reports or issuances from an oversight agency.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think it was good to hear somebody on the front lines offer a few words of personal assurance. I tend to listen more to people actually involved in things than to anonymous reports or issuances from an oversight agency.

It is fine to get reassurance from someone on the front lines as long as people don't wait for such a report to follow the guidelines. Hopefully people have been following the suggestions of cleaning hands and not touching faces for weeks.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Good for Stephon.

However, I have a question about this. I have seen a rapper promise millions of N95 masks. I have seen Youtubers promise millions of masks. The issue isn't hospitals paying for masks. This issue is lack of supply. Where are the celebrities getting these masks? It can't be from the supply chain because all of those would be earmarked for hospitals. Are they paying extreme prices to people who hoarded them and are price gouging? That would be my guess because if they try to sell to hospitals directly the US AG has announced the government will be going after them. I would say that the government should find out from the celebrities where they get the masks and go after the gougers even if they try to hide themselves.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Good for Stephon.

However, I have a question about this. I have seen a rapper promise millions of N95 masks. I have seen Youtubers promise millions of masks. The issue isn't hospitals paying for masks. This issue is lack of supply. Where are the celebrities getting these masks? It can't be from the supply chain because all of those would be earmarked for hospitals. Are they paying extreme prices to people who hoarded them and are price gouging? That would be my guess because if they try to sell to hospitals directly the US AG has announced the government will be going after them. I would say that the government should find out from the celebrities where they get the masks and go after the gougers even if they try to hide themselves.
If you read the article it says he bought them from a supplier in China. Well, duh. Warren Buffet owns a factory (BYD) that produces 150M a month. That’s right 5M a day. Gates & Musk own companies in China producing over 100M per month. There’s a lot of masks out there.

Also, Cuomo & DiBlasio are saying the hospitals don’t need more masks, but the hospitals are saying they do. WTF? The government clown says nobody asked for any nor they don’t know who Marbury called offering support. Typical government incompetence. Hey, we need bigger & even more incompetent government!!!!

It is fine to get reassurance from someone on the front lines as long as people don't wait for such a report to follow the guidelines. Hopefully people have been following the suggestions of cleaning hands and not touching faces for weeks.
There is no way of knowing who does what in any situation. But if hearing from someone like this doctor wakes just one person up, then it's totally worthwhile.

Deleted member 2897

If you read the article it says he bought them from a supplier in China. Well, duh. Warren Buffet owns a factory (BYD) that produces 150M a month. That’s right 5M a day. Gates & Musk own companies in China producing over 100M per month. There’s a lot of masks out there.

Also, Cuomo & DiBlasio are saying the hospitals don’t need more masks, but the hospitals are saying they do. WTF? The government clown says nobody asked for any nor they don’t know who Marbury called offering support. Typical government incompetence. Hey, we need bigger & even more incompetent government!!!!

Cuomo is just panicking. Totally understandable, but poor leadership skills. You don’t demand every spare emergency ventilator in the entire country go to 1 city...when they don’t even need it. I haven’t heard of a single ventilator being need but not there. It will probably happen eventually. We couldn’t even run cash for clunkers right. Whether it happens or not isn’t Trumps fault.

GT_EE78

Banned
Not sure there is a win.
Population in the US 327,000,000 if say we can control it and only 5 % in the US get it that would be 16,350,000 now lets say we hit below the death rate and only 1% die from it that would be 163,500 . Is that a Win ? Some on here would say as long as it's not me or anyone in my family then it's a win. And there is the problem people who don't care about others.
( other than the population I just make up the 5% and 1% that is not based on facts)
Its a guess so who knows, but i think 5% is too high. Italy/Spain are at 0.15% now but still rising gastronomically. Still, thats 33x. for worst case i'd be inclined to speculate at 2x or 0.3% so maybe 1 mil infected but i'd sure hope things flatten soon so we go way under.

Status
Not open for further replies.