Cornell

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I’m gonna be “that guy” and complain after a win, but I’ll state the obvious that we are in deep trouble when we start to play teams that we can’t just bludgeon to victory. What’s troubling about 10 walks is that it’s not just one guy. The only guy who didn’t give up at least 0.75 WIP was the last guy. I guess if your looking for silver linings, (1) Cam Hill gave up all his in the first inning and then settled down after that (2) it’s still early in the season and maybe we’ll get better (I recall uttering those same words the last two years to no avail) (3) CDH might have a quicker hook this year …… but so what if nobody consistently throws strikes.

I just don’t get it.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll be sort of more patient as it’s a first year pitching coach. However, where are we as a program that is in one of the most major hot beds of prospects, where we can’t get a handful of guys that attack the strike zone? Across all divisions in Georgia alone, you could fill multiple D1 rosters with guys who could attack the zone. So how are we bringing in guys who have such high level talent and just meandering through their careers?

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I’ll be sort of more patient as it’s a first year pitching coach. However, where are we as a program that is in one of the most major hot beds of prospects, where we can’t get a handful of guys that attack the strike zone? Across all divisions in Georgia alone, you could fill multiple D1 rosters with guys who could attack the zone. So how are we bringing in guys who have such high level talent and just meandering through their careers?
If you listened to the new pitching coaches interview b4 the Ga Southern game, he said specifically attacking the strike zone (can’t recall if he used those exact words or not) was a priority for the staff. He called out two programs, Tennessee and someone else and said they were the best staffs in the country and stated (one of) the main reasons for it was their aggressiveness to throw strikes and how we wanted to emulate that to be like them. So unless he’s just flat out making it up, our players are being coached (told) to be aggressive and throw strikes.

In the first inning, even in Cam’s warm ups, it looked like he was trying to overthrow to me. Especially on the follow through. On the pitch the guy blooped down the line he fell flat on his back on the follow through, hard enough where I was concerned he hurt himself. I thought to myself, this can’t be his normal follow through. So is this a case where you’re coached one way and then get amped up and forget what you’ve been doing? Or am I just being an armchair coach who knows nothing? Guess (maybe) we’ll see next week.

I just can’t imagine these guys got to this level without the ability to consistently throw strikes. Maybe someone is changing (tweeking) their mechanics when they come into the program and it’s throwing off their control??

Again, I just don’t get it. I hope you are correct and given time the new pitching coach is able to get them to throw more strikes.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Thoughts on tonight's game 1 versus Cornell.

Overall, I thought that Cornell has some good hitters who had good ab's.

Anyone concerned about tonight's close game and 5-2 deficit heading into the 7th inning, see below.

I'd point out the Kennesaw State destroyed # 10 Clemson 18-1 in Clemson. Stony Brook beat #3 LSU at home 5-2. #4 Florida started the year off losing its first game at home to St Johns. # 6 Vandy has lost to Dayton & FAU so far this year. # 1 Wake loses midweek to UNC Greensboro.

My point is just like Al Davis used to say "Just win baby". Winning today is RPI neutral. A loss could've stung the team RPI. I'll take it!

I never thought the game was in jeopardy even down 5-2. This team just keeps battling offensively.

I like that CDH & CMT were trying to get pitchers experience in key situation.
Cam Hill- Tough 1st but not cause he got hit. Just finding his groove. Once he found it, he looked outstanding in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.
Camron Landry- Struggled a bit but good to see him get some pt to see what we have in the transfer.
Brett Thomas- Transfer pitcher from USC looked good overall. Cornell hit him where they ain't.
Riley Stanford- So good to see this kid on the bump. He's got a mid 90's fastball that is lively.
Terry Busse- Good to see no runs given up. He just seems more comfortable coming in to close or relief.
Michael Kovala- His first ncaa appearance. Pitched for his home country in the world baseball classic.

Offense:
They just keep grinding. Just relentless.
Drew Burress- What more needs to be said. So far against this level of competition, he's a freshmen all american. It'll be interesting to see what he does the next couple of weekends against Uga and Nc State.

Payton Green- This kid hit the brock building and still not certain it landed yet.

Matthew Ellis- I really like this kid and what he did at Indiana. Just feel like he's pressing a bit. His 2nd ab he hit a rope up the middle. Other ab's rolled over on the ball. Just seems to be wanting to live up to transfer expectations imo vs just going out there and playing ball. I think a move to 5th or 6th in the batting order may help. He's a huge presence in our lineup and I just think the 2 hole is better suited for Beccheti or Yunger.

Speaking of Yunger...I hope he is okay. I was down the 3rd base line and saw him crash into the wall making a nice play but i watched him and he kept trying to move his arm and shoulder.

Carson Kerce got the call at 3rd tonight after Yunger got hurt. Made some nice plays at 3rd. Seems like the two freshmen are battling for the backup spot at 3rd in Jaros and Kerce.

Good to see Giesler hit that moonshot in the 8th.

All in all. I'll take the 9-6 win and 5-0 overall.

Look forward to being back at it at the Rusty C tomorrow (I Know it's Mcnease but it's always the Rusty C to me)!

Go Jackets!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you listened to the new pitching coaches interview b4 the Ga Southern game, he said specifically attacking the strike zone (can’t recall if he used those exact words or not) was a priority for the staff. He called out two programs, Tennessee and someone else and said they were the best staffs in the country and stated (one of) the main reasons for it was their aggressiveness to throw strikes and how we wanted to emulate that to be like them. So unless he’s just flat out making it up, our players are being coached (told) to be aggressive and throw strikes.

In the first inning, even in Cam’s warm ups, it looked like he was trying to overthrow to me. Especially on the follow through. On the pitch the guy blooped down the line he fell flat on his back on the follow through, hard enough where I was concerned he hurt himself. I thought to myself, this can’t be his normal follow through. So is this a case where you’re coached one way and then get amped up and forget what you’ve been doing? Or am I just being an armchair coach who knows nothing? Guess (maybe) we’ll see next week.

I just can’t imagine these gots got to this level without the ability to consistently throw strikes. Maybe someone is changing (tweeting) their mechanics when they come into the program and it’s throwing off their control??

Again, I just don’t get it. I hope you are correct and given time the new pitching coach is able to get them to throw more strikes.
Everybody HATES free passes. I do. You do. The pitchers do. The defense does.

... & if CDH gives away anything in press conferences/interviews ... it's that he hates them too.

Why do they keep happening... who knows?

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
So let's talk about those 10 walks and take a deeper look..

6 of those walks were given up between Cam Hill (3 in the 1st) and Camron Landry (3 in the 5th).

I agree with poster above the Cam Hill was overthrowing in the 1st. Settled down and looked fine in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.

Riley Stanford throws hard but I'd remind everyone the kid has been out due to injury for the last year and a half.

Landry really struggled tonight so hopefully that was an aberration.
Right now, CDH and CMT are trying to find out who will fill out certain bull pen roles. Notice our best bullpen arm, Ben King didn't pitch tonight.

I see that CMT is trying to see what he has and possibly build depth.

I'm not as worried right now as most but if we give up 10 bb's against uga or nc state....then that'll likely be a very big problem.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
My contribution to this thread - after watching a few innings here and there when I could - is that we’re going to set the all time record for stolen bases in a series against this catcher. His arm is just not at this level and our guys now it. Ellis is gonna have one by COB Sunday.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I Wasn’t really impressed with Busse’s 8th inning (2 walks).

kovala is a nice story but he kinda got hit pretty hard.

landry almost lost us the game.

i am glad we gave some of these pitchers chances, but i wasn ‘t thrilled with their performances.

i was glad to finally see the offense break through and save us.

i would have preferred something like 9-2. Btw, Can Hill is very good, as long as he finds his arm slot. His 1st inning was a one-off, imho.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I Wasn’t really impressed with Busse’s 8th inning (2 walks).

kovala is a nice story but he kinda got hit pretty hard.

landry almost lost us the game.

i am glad we gave some of these pitchers chances, but i wasn ‘t thrilled with their performances.

i was glad to finally see the offense break through and save us.

i would have preferred something like 9-2. Btw, Can Hill is very good, as long as he finds his arm slot. His 1st inning was a one-off, imho.
I actually liked what I saw from Kovala. He is the only pitcher we had tonight that didn't walk anyone. His pitches have really good movement especially his slider. He was constantly in the strike zone or close to it. I think we are going to see a lot more from him. Plus, from a fan's perspective, I like how he just gets the ball and goes. No need for a timer with this guy.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thoughts on tonight's game 1 versus Cornell.

Overall, I thought that Cornell has some good hitters who had good ab's.

Anyone concerned about tonight's close game and 5-2 deficit heading into the 7th inning, see below.

I'd point out the Kennesaw State destroyed # 10 Clemson 18-1 in Clemson. Stony Brook beat #3 LSU at home 5-2. #4 Florida started the year off losing its first game at home to St Johns. # 6 Vandy has lost to Dayton & FAU so far this year. # 1 Wake loses midweek to UNC Greensboro.

My point is just like Al Davis used to say "Just win baby". Winning today is RPI neutral. A loss could've stung the team RPI. I'll take it!

I never thought the game was in jeopardy even down 5-2. This team just keeps battling offensively.

I like that CDH & CMT were trying to get pitchers experience in key situation.
Cam Hill- Tough 1st but not cause he got hit. Just finding his groove. Once he found it, he looked outstanding in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th.
Camron Landry- Struggled a bit but good to see him get some pt to see what we have in the transfer.
Brett Thomas- Transfer pitcher from USC looked good overall. Cornell hit him where they ain't.
Riley Stanford- So good to see this kid on the bump. He's got a mid 90's fastball that is lively.
Terry Busse- Good to see no runs given up. He just seems more comfortable coming in to close or relief.
Michael Kovala- His first ncaa appearance. Pitched for his home country in the world baseball classic.

Offense:
They just keep grinding. Just relentless.
Drew Burress- What more needs to be said. So far against this level of competition, he's a freshmen all american. It'll be interesting to see what he does the next couple of weekends against Uga and Nc State.

Payton Green- This kid hit the brock building and still not certain it landed yet.

Matthew Ellis- I really like this kid and what he did at Indiana. Just feel like he's pressing a bit. His 2nd ab he hit a rope up the middle. Other ab's rolled over on the ball. Just seems to be wanting to live up to transfer expectations imo vs just going out there and playing ball. I think a move to 5th or 6th in the batting order may help. He's a huge presence in our lineup and I just think the 2 hole is better suited for Beccheti or Yunger.

Speaking of Yunger...I hope he is okay. I was down the 3rd base line and saw him crash into the wall making a nice play but i watched him and he kept trying to move his arm and shoulder.

Carson Kerce got the call at 3rd tonight after Yunger got hurt. Made some nice plays at 3rd. Seems like the two freshmen are battling for the backup spot at 3rd in Jaros and Kerce.

Good to see Giesler hit that moonshot in the 8th.

All in all. I'll take the 9-6 win and 5-0 overall.

Look forward to being back at it at the Rusty C tomorrow (I Know it's Mcnease but it's always the Rusty C to me)!

Go Jackets!!!
Bobby Zmarlzak was 3/4 with a walk an RBI and a run scored. He was in the middle of a couple of our big innings. This guy brings age, experience and some massive upside to our lineup. Played in three regionals at Maryland according to the broadcast and won a Big Ten title at Maryland. I enjoy your game summaries but I think you missed this one.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of expectations on this kid. He's filling behind Parada, Bart, etc and has gone from Indiana to here & it's not like we have zero talent sitting on the bench. Then there's course load which is probably a bit different and likely a much harder schedule to top it off. That's a pretty tall order. Would not surprise me there's a bit going on between the ears, like overthinking it all. He'll settle down and be fine as the season goes along. Good players don't have season long slumps.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Bobby Zmarlzak was 3/4 with a walk an RBI and a run scored. He was in the middle of a couple of our big innings. This guy brings age, experience and some massive upside to our lineup. Played in three regionals at Maryland according to the broadcast and won a Big Ten title at Maryland. I enjoy your game summaries but I think you missed this one.
Fitted,

Great call and you are right as I originally had him moving up into the 2 hole and letting Ellis slide down to 6th in the lineup taking some of the pressure off of Matthew as Bobby seems to have that Tim Borden transfer "feel" to him but I got home late and was thawing out from wearing shorts to the game last night. I know CDH likes the righty-lefty matchup at the top of the lineup and thus why I'm thinking Bobby isn't hitting in the 2-hole. I believe Zmarzlak hits for avg and for power.

Great career at Maryland. Was even regional MVP for the turtles as well.

He's another big transfer that just makes this lineup so very dangerous.

Great call btw :)

Last edited:

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In 2024 we often use the word sustainability. Whether it’s food or energy or whatever, it is a very utilized word in today’s lexicon. With that being said, leading the conference in walks and chronically getting behind in games is not SUSTAINABLE. A case study of the last four years of our prolific offensive should illustrate the point. As the season progresses this will become UNSUSTAINABLE.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Brosius had an interesting day yesterday. He personally recovered 4 of our walks for us. He was officially 0-1 with 5 plate appearances, 4 walks, and no runs scored. ……. Oh, and I believe he had a stolen base to boot!!

Bet the big red was frustrated to walk our 9-hole guy 4 times!

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fitted,

Great call and you are right as I originally had him moving up into the 2 hole and letting Ellis slide down to 6th in the lineup taking some of the pressure off of Matthew as Bobby seems to have that Tim Borden transfer "feel" to him. I know CDH likes the righty-lefty matchup at the top of the lineup and thus why I'm thinking Bobby isn't hitting in the 2-hole. I believe Zmarzlak hits for avg and for power.

Great career at Maryland. Was even regional MVP for the turtles as well.

He's another big transfer that just makes this lineup so very dangerous.

Great call btw :)
Thanks Tech!

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
There's a lot of expectations on this kid. He's filling behind Parada, Bart, etc and has gone from Indiana to here & it's not like we have zero talent sitting on the bench. Then there's course load which is probably a bit different and likely a much harder schedule to top it off. That's a pretty tall order. Would not surprise me there's a bit going on between the ears, like overthinking it all. He'll settle down and be fine as the season goes along. Good players don't have season long slumps.
Exactly GT33. I think the kid clearly has the talent and just trying to be the next great catcher at Tech.
He just needs to relax and go play baseball.
That's why i think moving him down in the lineup may help to ease some of the pressure.
Hitting in the 2 hole behind what appears to be ACC freshmen of the year puts a lot of pressure on imo.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Brosius had an interesting day yesterday. He personally recovered 4 of our walks for us. He was officially 0-1 with 5 plate appearances, 4 walks, and no runs scored. ……. Oh, and I believe he had a stolen base to boot!!

Bet the big red was frustrated to walk our 9-hole guy 4 times!
Great point. I also think Brosius made a throw from right field that could have resulted in a put out. It doesnt show up in the box score but he is a very good defender.