Cornell

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like their mascot / logo.
1708711100567.png

I Wasn’t really impressed with Busse’s 8th inning (2 walks).

kovala is a nice story but he kinda got hit pretty hard.

landry almost lost us the game.

i am glad we gave some of these pitchers chances, but i wasn ‘t thrilled with their performances.

i was glad to finally see the offense break through and save us.

i would have preferred something like 9-2. Btw, Can Hill is very good, as long as he finds his arm slot. His 1st inning was a one-off, imho.

I had to stop watching in the second. Checked score at a dinner party and was very surprised that we were down going into the 7th. But damnit, we came back and won. Really glad we won. Today I hope the game is as uninteresting as it should be. Just hope I can ***** about the win after the game.

It's deja vu all over again with our team makeup; pitching bad overall, offense very good and defense looking better maybe.

After our continued general pitching problems over the decades, I have to think that part of our problem is that our pitchers think too much. You think?

About Kovala, he was the only pitcher who didn't walk a batter. 2 outs and then gave up two hits. 15 of 22 pitches are strikes. I trust what you say that he got hit hard since I didn't watch him. But Busse was 11 of 22 pitches for strikes.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Brosius had an interesting day yesterday. He personally recovered 4 of our walks for us. He was officially 0-1 with 5 plate appearances, 4 walks, and no runs scored. ……. Oh, and I believe he had a stolen base to boot!!

Bet the big red was frustrated to walk our 9-hole guy 4 times!
Brosius , similar to Cam Hill, had a stellar summer league performance and to know that Parker is our #9 hitter shows how potent this lineup can be.

I'd agree with fitted on the near outfield assist putout rom RF for Parker. Kid has a great arm.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Brosius , similar to Cam Hill, had a stellar summer league performance and to know that Parker is our #9 hitter shows how potent this lineup can be.

I'd agree with fitted on the near outfield assist putout rom RF for Parker. Kid has a great arm.
The throw was plenty strong from medium RF, but off target up the line. His footwork looked a little messed up to me, but that’s coming from a guy whose baseball career peaked at 12 yrs old.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I see lots of concern about last night's game because it was Cornell.

I would point out the following:

Winning streaks in baseball are so very tough because its really difficult to impose your will in baseball like you can in football. In football, you go right at the man across from you and if you dominate him, you usually win. That is not the case in baseball. Truly the only one on one matchup is the pitcher vs the hitter.

It's very tough even to sweep a team no matter the talent disparity.

Baseball is completely different and, lets be honest, luck is involved. That's why they call it "ground ball with eyes". You could hit a "rocket" but if its hit right at an outfielder, its simply a loud out.

Baseball is similar to hockey in that if you have a solid or even great Pitcher, you can shut down a team. Same applies with hockey.

The LA Dodgers are loaded with talent similar to the Braves and I would bet $$$ that neither club breaks the 110-win marker which equates to a win % of 68%.

Winning the majority of mid-week games and winning 2 of 3 weekend games should be the goal.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
The throw was plenty strong from medium RF, but off target up the line. His footwork looked a little messed up to me, but that’s coming from a guy whose baseball career peaked at 12 yrs old.
You are right that it was up the line and forced Ellis to come down the line a bit and had to swipe at the runner.
I still agree on my original comment that the kid has a great arm but that particular throw was not on target.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Winning streaks in baseball are so very tough because its really difficult to impose your will in baseball like you can in football. In football, you go right at the man across from you and if you dominate him, you usually win. That is not the case in baseball. Truly the only one on one matchup is the pitcher vs the hitter.

Baseball is completely different and, lets be honest, luck is involved. That's why they call it "ground ball with eyes". You could hit a "rocket" but if its hit right at an outfielder, its simply a loud out.

Baseball is similar to hockey in that if you have a solid or even great Pitcher, you can shut down a team. Same applies with hockey.

The LA Dodgers are loaded with talent similar to the Braves and I would bet $$$ that neither club breaks the 110-win marker which equates to a win % of 68%.

Winning the majority of mid-week games and winning 2 of 3 weekend games should be the goal.
Personally, I agree with your general assessment above and am not concerned that “it was Cornell” we had to come back on. As several have stated above, my main concern in yesterdays game (and so far what seems to be a trend in the first five games) is our inability to throw strikes. That is completely in our control!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Cases in point: Yesterday Stony Brook beats @LSU 5-2. LSU not getting early return on $M in NIL. And @Clempy loses 1-18 to Kennesaw State. Love it.

Of course we have concerns about our team, but we need to smell the roses while they are blooming since we don't know what is going to happen. Could get better, could get worse.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I agree with your general assessment above and am not concerned that “it was Cornell” we had to come back on. As several have stated above, my main concern in yesterdays game (and so far what seems to be a trend in the first five games) is our inability to throw strikes. That is completely in our control!
Now that I agree upon.
Terry Busse threw 11 of 22 strikes. That needs to improve.

Kovala did very well and was in the zone. He got hit hard but held them to one run on a wild pitch.

Cameron Landry definitely struggled and that could be nerves as he tries to make an impression with his new team. He transferred over from Ga State and since that's where PC Matt Taylor comes from, I'm confident our PC will get that worked out.

Riley Stanford is the arm I'm most excited about because he throws hard. Not quite Zach Maxwell hard but threw mid to upper 90's in high school at Buford. He's coming back from injury after being out for nearly 18 months. He walked two yesterday but I'm very confident that he will ultimately be one of our top bull pen arms one day soon. He clipped the radar at 95 twice yesterday.

Cam Hill- Yes he struggled in that first inning, but CDH even alluded to nerves as it was his first start, and he was jacked up raring to go. Being at the game, you had to see his demeanor as he settled down in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. When he set down Cornell 1-2-3, he came off the mound absolutely fired up. Definitely not concerned about him.

Brett Thomas- Again another transfer coming in to find his way at Tech vs his time at USC. Give him some time to settle in.

Two of our better bull pen arms that thrive in the strike zone didn't see action yesterday in Dawson Brown and Ben King.

I agree with everyone regarding walks though. I'd prefer giving up back to back solo moon shots vs three walks and causing all kinds of stress for the pitcher. Even if the pitcher gets out of bases loaded trouble caused by walks, it drives the pitch count up and creates stress innings.

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Cases in point: Yesterday Stony Brook beats @LSU 5-2. LSU not getting early return on $M in NIL. And @Clempy loses 1-18 to Kennesaw State. Love it.

Of course we have concerns about our team, but we need to smell the roses while they are blooming since we don't know what is going to happen. Could get better, could get worse.
See my original post about early losses.

Add to it- #4 Florida losing to St John's. #6 Vandy losing twice to FAU and Dayton. # 1 Wake goes down in midweek vs Unc Greensboro.

Just win baby.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully Finateri gives us 5-6 good innings. Brown McKee and King all should be fresh.
He went 6 innings last week against Radford. Would love to see another performance similar from Finateri this weekend against Cornell.

Yesterday, Cam could've easily gone 5 or possibly 6 innings even despite a long 1st inning but I feel they are easing him into the weekend starting rotation and wanted to find out what they have in the pen before the level of competition jumps significantly beginning next week.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is there really evidence (yet) the defense is that improved? Honestly, I don't recall if 2023 was a 'bad' year defensively. Only 5 games in... nothing too good or too bad is standing out to me defensively.

From my couch... I admit I cannot see everything. Good (or bad) initial jumps or range. We've had a few throwing errors & a few off-line outfield throws.

Not trying to be a negative nancy. Just wondering about objective early assessments. We all know how defense can help pitching.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Now that I agree upon.
Terry Busse threw 11 of 22 strikes. That needs to improve.

Kovala did very well and was in the zone. He got hit hard but held them to one run on a wild pitch.

Cameron Landry definitely struggled and that could be nerves as he tries to make an impression with his new team. He transferred over from Ga State and since that's where PC Matt Taylor comes from, I'm confident our PC will get that worked out.

Riley Stanford is the arm I'm most excited about because he throws hard. Not quite Zach Maxwell hard but threw mid to upper 90's in high school at Buford. He's coming back from injury after being out for nearly 18 months. He walked two yesterday but I'm very confident that he will ultimately be one of our top bull pen arms one day soon. He clipped the radar at 95 twice yesterday.

Cam Hill- Yes he struggled in that first inning, but CDH even alluded to nerves as it was his first start, and he was jacked up raring to go. Being at the game, you had to see his demeanor as he settled down in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. When he set down Cornell 1-2-3, he came off the mound absolutely fired up. Definitely not concerned about him.

Brett Thomas- Again another transfer coming in to find his way at Tech vs his time at USC. Give him some time to settle in.

Two of our better bull pen arms that thrive in the strike zone didn't see action yesterday in Dawson Brown and Ben King.

I agree with everyone regarding walks though. I'd prefer giving up back to back solo moon shots vs three walks and causing all kinds of stress for the pitcher. Even if the pitcher gets out of bases loaded trouble caused by walks, it drives the pitch count up and creates stress innings.
First off - agree on the walks problem.

What I like is that we're getting a lot of arms out there, and still cavemanning our way to victory. The new pitching coach is using the opportunity to evaluate his staff in live action, and getting a lot of young guys some real game experience. This is the kind of investment that *could* pay off in a month or so.

As far as the record goes, winning ugly is the same as winning pretty. But I hope we can start winning pretty.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
First off - agree on the walks problem.

What I like is that we're getting a lot of arms out there, and still cavemanning our way to victory. The new pitching coach is using the opportunity to evaluate his staff in live action, and getting a lot of young guys some real game experience. This is the kind of investment that *could* pay off in a month or so.

As far as the record goes, winning ugly is the same as winning pretty. But I hope we can start winning pretty.
100%

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Is there really evidence (yet) the defense is that improved? Honestly, I don't recall if 2023 was a 'bad' year defensively. Only 5 games in... nothing too good or too bad is standing out to me defensively.

From my couch... I admit I cannot see everything. Good (or bad) initial jumps or range. We've had a few throwing errors & a few off-line outfield throws.

Not trying to be a negative nancy. Just wondering about objective early assessments. We all know how defense can help pitching.
Fred,

I'll say this. Too early in the season to look at statistics quite yet regarding fielding and defense however, we seem to be much better up the middle with Bechetti and Green at SS and 2nd. Burress is solid in centerfield.

Parker is an upgrade in RF
Yunger is solid in LF

Drew was an outstanding bat but I believe 3b defense has been upgraded.

All in opinion though.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Fred,

I'll say this. Too early in the season to look at statistics quite yet regarding fielding and defense however, we seem to be much better up the middle with Bechetti and Green at SS and 2nd. Burress is solid in centerfield.

Parker is an upgrade in RF
Yunger is solid in LF

Drew was an outstanding bat but I believe 3b defense has been upgraded.

All in opinion though.
Defensively: RF SS 2B 1B (Jones) all upgrades

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Great comeback win. But Landry and Busse are really concerning to me. Busse looks like he hast lost velocity on his FB and movement on his slider, when he first came he was throwing 93-94 consistently and his slider was devastating, now he looks like a totally different pitcher.

Landry just had no control on his breaking ball and only throws around 85 with his FB, so I don’t see any ability to get guys out, but it was his first outing for us…so maybe it will get better?

The late inning clutch ability by our offense is great, but I’d rather not wait to the last 2-3 innings to start getting stuff going. We had too many situations leaving guys on base yesterday and getting nothing.

With all that said, Always happy to get a win and we are 5-0, so can’t complain too much!