Cornell

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m stoked he came to school but how on earth did Burress not go top 4-5 rounds of draft and sign mlb???
I'm pretty sure I heard he let the MLB scouts know he planned on attending college so the teams didn't waste early draft picks by picking him. I believe major league teams are seeing college players getting to the league much faster than the kids drafted right out of high school who languish in the minors for years before they get a shot at getting called up. It would be interesting to see some numbers that back that up.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm pretty sure I heard he let the MLB scouts know he planned on attending college so the teams didn't waste early draft picks by picking him. I believe major league teams are seeing college players getting to the league much faster than the kids drafted right out of high school who languish in the minors for years before they get a shot at getting called up. It would be interesting to see some numbers that back that up.
I did a quick look at this based on last season at the MLB level. There were 39 hitters who accumulated 2.0 or greater fWAR at the age of 25 or lower. Of those 39, 13 were drafted out of high school, 13 were drafted out of college, and 13 were signed as international free agents. There were 34 pitchers 25 or younger who threw at least 50 innings and put up an ERA+ of 100 or higher. Of those, 7 were drafted out of high school, 15 were drafted out of college, and 12 were signed as international free agents. This datapoint says to me it doesn't make too much of a difference for hitters if they choose the college route or going pro out of high school, but pitchers seem to be advantaged by going the college route. To be honest, I expected the opposite, but the facts are the facts. Is my definition of solid, young MLB player a good one?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did a quick look at this based on last season at the MLB level. There were 39 hitters who accumulated 2.0 or greater fWAR at the age of 25 or lower. Of those 39, 13 were drafted out of high school, 13 were drafted out of college, and 13 were signed as international free agents. There were 34 pitchers 25 or younger who threw at least 50 innings and put up an ERA+ of 100 or higher. Of those, 7 were drafted out of high school, 15 were drafted out of college, and 12 were signed as international free agents. This datapoint says to me it doesn't make too much of a difference for hitters if they choose the college route or going pro out of high school, but pitchers seem to be advantaged by going the college route. To be honest, I expected the opposite, but the facts are the facts. Is my definition of solid, young MLB player a good one?

I like your approach with fWAR (I couldn't start to calculate it for college baseball).

To answer the question about definition, how robust is the 25 year old point? What would be the results for 23 or 21? (I know what I expect the answer to be but the facts get in the way of my opinion occasionally. I'd expect many fewer as you get younger and distribution will be more variable.)

The one thing that I didn't expect in the data was the higher number of international free agents. It makes sense given the south / central American input. But at 25 yo, are they high school or college?

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
I like your approach with fWAR (I couldn't start to calculate it for college baseball).

To answer the question about definition, how robust is the 25 year old point? What would be the results for 23 or 21? (I know what I expect the answer to be but the facts get in the way of my opinion occasionally. I'd expect many fewer as you get younger and distribution will be more variable.)

The one thing that I didn't expect in the data was the higher number of international free agents. It makes sense given the south / central American input. But at 25 yo, are they high school or college?
I can move the cutoff to 23 fairly easily, but don't have time right now. Getting ready for Sunday services at church. I'll look at it this afternoon. Moving the cutoff to 21 will eliminate any college kids since they are mostly still in school at 21.

I don't think I understand your question in the last sentence. International free agents are all Latin players who are almost always signed at the age of 16. They usually go to the Dominican Summer League from there, and then at 18 they come to the States and compete in the Complex League system. I think they do get some education equivalent to high school, but they are being trained/coached by the professional team who they signed with and therefore I wouldn't call them high school or college.

Looking at the Braves and eliminating "getting to the majors quickly" as a control variable, they have four college kids who "start". Seam Murphy (Wright St), Spencer Strider (Clemson), Chris Sale (Florida Gulf Coast), and Bryce Elder (Texas). AJ Minter also contributes out of the pen, he went to Texas A&M. Olson, Riley, Kelenic, Harris, Fried, and Morton are high school kids, while Albies, Arcia, Acuna, and Lopez are international signees.

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Just throwing this out there: for the purposes of giving some fringe players a meaningful opportunity to play at meaningful times in meaningful games what do you all think of the following:
Geisler back to third
Sabathia to first
Minnick to catch and split the game with Lackey

With Yunger hurt Jones stays in left and they can give Ellis a day off heading into a big week.

Thoughts?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can move the cutoff to 23 fairly easily, but don't have time right now. Getting ready for Sunday services at church. I'll look at it this afternoon. Moving the cutoff to 21 will eliminate any college kids since they are mostly still in school at 21.

I don't think I understand your question in the last sentence. International free agents are all Latin players who are almost always signed at the age of 16. They usually go to the Dominican Summer League from there, and then at 18 they come to the States and compete in the Complex League system. I think they do get some education equivalent to high school, but they are being trained/coached by the professional team who they signed with and therefore I wouldn't call them high school or college.

Looking at the Braves and eliminating "getting to the majors quickly" as a control variable, they have four college kids who "start". Seam Murphy (Wright St), Spencer Strider (Clemson), Chris Sale (Florida Gulf Coast), and Bryce Elder (Texas). AJ Minter also contributes out of the pen, he went to Texas A&M. Olson, Riley, Kelenic, Harris, Fried, and Morton are high school kids, while Albies, Arcia, Acuna, and Lopez are international signees.

Thanks for the detail on the Latin players, I didn't know most went to Dominican summer league. Since they are signed at 16 and go to MLB when their talent allows, I'd put them more in the HS category than college where you have to wait to 21 / 3 years. Make sense?

And thanks for doing this.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Just throwing this out there: for the purposes of giving some fringe players a meaningful opportunity to play at meaningful times in meaningful games what do you all think of the following:
Geisler back to third
Sabathia to first

With Yunger hurt Jones stays in left and they can give Ellis a day off heading into a big week.

Thoughts?
I like the idea. I would almost always advocate for getting one of the bench guys a start weekly, and would love to see what Sabathia could do with more than just 1 AB in a game already decided. With our depth I think this is especially true. But CDH has never taken my phone call when I try to recommend this to him. :)

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I like the idea. I would almost always advocate for getting one of the bench guys a start weekly, and would love to see what Sabathia could do with more than just 1 AB in a game already decided. With our depth I think this is especially true. But CDH has never taken my phone call when I try to recommend this to him. :)
Mine either lol

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Cornell Game 2 observations and thoughts...

Let's start off with Pitching.
Aeden & Tate shined yesterday.

Aeden Finateri is just flat out a competitor. Dude gets after it on the mound. He just lives in the strike zone and attacks. His fb sits in the mid to upper 80's and his palm ball and breaking stuff sits in the mid 70's. That's a change of pace over 10 mph which makes him very effective. 10k's. Outstanding. Struck out the side twice.

Tate McKee just keeps impressing on the mound.

Brett Barfield and Caden Gaudette were effective as they combined for 4k's in 3.0 innings with only 1 BB. :) Yes Sir! 2 runs given up.
One BB all game! That's what I'm talking about!

I said this yesterday, but Cornell has some good hitters that take good ab's. Their 3-hole hitter, Nathan Waugh (C) is a big guy that barrels up the ball. Wouldn't be shocked to see this kid hit the portal and end up at a big-time baseball school next year.

I am perfectly comfortable giving up 5-6 runs as long as it is earned by contact and not through walks or hbp's. You will not find very many pitchers like Chase Burns (UT), Leiter Kid, Kumar Rocker, or even Zach Maxwell that are nearly unhittable at the college level. College offenses are just too good these days and with the portal, lots of talent out there. Key to college pitching is to minimize damage, attack, and pound the zone.

Let's talk offense. This team is just deep offensively. Lots of options.
Let me start by saying that I like that CDH moved Ellis down to the cleanup spot yesterday. He went 1-3 with a BB. His base hit was crucial as it led to the 8 inning first. With two outs and in the 1st, Ellis fought off an inside fb down the left field line for a double with two outs in the inning. The flood gates opened after that.

I know everyone wants to talk the freshmen phenom and he deserves it but I want to focus on Bobby "Barrells", John Giesler, and Mike Beccheti. They combined for 2 hr's and 8 rbi's (3 each for Giesler & Beccheti).
Giesler - 2 for 4
Bobby - 1 for 3 BB
Beccheti- 2 for 3 BB

Alright, let's talk Drew Burress. Two moonshots in the 1st inning. This kid is the REAL DEAL. Don't care about level of competition. Not saying he will keep this pace throughout the year but we have found our leadoff man for the next two years.
2 hr's. 4 rbi's. 2 for 4. Taken out early with the bases loaded and pitch hit for by M. Graziano so it could've been much more. Follows this up on the game tying double friday night to drive 3 rbi's in.
Kid is just special.

My son has his first baseball game on Tuesday and his play next Friday so unfortunately I can't make either game. If anyone would like my ticket to the Ga State game, send me a pm. UGA ticket already found a home.

I'll be there today for hopefully the sweep against Cornell.

6-0.
Go Jackets!

Last edited:

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
Geisler back to third
Sabathia to first

Thoughts?
Fitted,

Is it known how long Yunger will be out?

This kid is a baseball player and I hope he heals up soon.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Aeden Finateri is just flat out a competitor. Dude gets after it on the mound. He just lives in the strike zone and attacks. His fb sits in the mid to upper 80's and his palm ball and breaking stuff sits in the mid 70's. That's a change of pace over 10 mph which makes him very effective. 10k's. Outstanding. Struck out the side twice.

Brett Barfield and Caden Gaudette were effective as they combined for 4k's in 3.0 innings with only 1 BB. :) Yes Sir! 2 runs given up.

I said this yesterday, but Cornell has some good hitters that take good ab's. Their 3-hole hitter, Nathan Waugh (C) is a big guy that barrels up the ball. Wouldn't be shocked to see this kid hit the portal and end up at a big-time baseball school next year.

I am perfectly comfortable giving up 5-6 runs as long as it is earned by contact and not through walks or hbp's. You will not find very many pitchers like Chase Burns (UT), Leiter Kid, Kumar Rocker, or even Zach Maxwell that are nearly unhittable at the college level. College offenses are just too good these days and with the portal, lots of talent out there. Key to college pitching is to minimize damage, attack, and pound the zone.

Let me start by saying that I like that CDH moved Ellis down to the cleanup spot yesterday. He went 1-3 with a BB. His base hit was crucial as it led to the 8 inning first. With two outs and in the 1st, Ellis fought off an inside fb down the left field line for a double with two outs in the inning. The flood gates opened after that.

I know everyone wants to talk the freshmen phenom and he deserves it but I want to focus on Bobby "Barrells", John Giesler, and Mike Beccheti. They combined for 2 hr's and 8 rbi's (3 each for Giesler & Beccheti).
Giesler - 2 for 4
Bobby - 1 for 3 BB
Beccheti- 2 for 3 BB

Alright, let's talk Drew Burress. Two moonshots in the 1st inning. This kid is the REAL DEAL. Don't care about level of competition. Not saying he will keep this pace throughout the year but we have found our leadoff man for the next two years.
2 hr's. 4 rbi's. 2 for 4. Taken out early with the bases loaded and pitch hit for by M. Graziano so it could've been much more. Follows this up on the game tying double friday night to drive 3 rbi's in.
Kid is just special.

My son has his first baseball game on Tuesday and his play next Friday so unfortunately I can't make either game. If anyone would like my ticket to the Ga State game, send me a pm. UGA ticket already found a home.

6-0.
Go Jackets!
Waugh has already announced he will be a grad transfer at Tech for next season. So you were spot on ha

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow

Giesler - 2 for 4
Bobby - 1 for 3 BB
Beccheti- 2 for 3 BB

Kid is just special.

6-0.
Go Jackets!

Chase Burns is at Wake Forest now.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm not watching the game on TV, so does anyone know why CDH took Brown out? It looked like he was pitching well and that really made things difficult not getting out of that inning.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Ummm, I though that for the Sunday game, the Ivy League team was supposed to be out of pitching…not the ACC team.

Oof!

Only good news was only 2 walks and 2 HBP. We just got drilled….