Confused by Tony Elliott Support

Hard pill to swallow, but the offense effected the defense. We could not recruit to defense for a couple of reasons. When CPJ first started, I used to laugh when UGAg fans said he wouldn't be able to recruit defensive linemen because they don't want to be cut blocked in practice. True or not, this negative recruiting sell stuck. The only significant DL player recruited in his tenure was Attaochu. Yes, I know- "Academics!". The option exacerbated that. I believe we can build a program that will again be attractive to the Derrick Morgans and Darryl Richards.

Also, the Option, time of possession, shorten the game plan, caused us to go with bend but don't break defenses that required DL and LBs we could not recruit. Goodness knows Groh tried.

I'm NOT slamming CPJ. I'd have been fine if he stayed. But since he's left, I don't want to stay in the same limitations with a Monken or Bohannon. I look forward to change optimistically.

Um, we have had bend not break defenses in the 90's with O'Leary. In 1999 we had to just outscore every one and didn't do it 4 times. We don't get good defenses because we cannot get enough front 7 guys because of academics. Never have, never will.

Um, we have had bend not break defenses in the 90's with O'Leary. In 1999 we had to just outscore every one and didn't do it 4 times. We don't get good defenses because we cannot get enough front 7 guys because of academics. Never have, never will.

And that D line we had in 2008....They were all 2 and 3 stars. D Morgan was the only 4 star

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Until we ran into a competent passer, anyway. Still have nightmares about Matt Ryan shredding our D in 2007.

I love how Tenuta haters always bring this game up, every defense no matter how good is going to get scorched from time to time. I have never in my life seen a team hold as much as BC that night, couple that with a senior future nfl hall of fame qb and the fact that our offense did exactly squat that night equals getting scorched

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I love how Tenuta haters always bring this game up, every defense no matter how good is going to get scorched from time to time. I have never in my life seen a team hold as much as BC that night, couple that with a senior future nfl hall of fame qb and the fact that our offense did exactly squat that night equals getting scorched

Tenuta's scheme doesn't really work against the quick passing game. His scheme based on keeping them from having time for intermediate throws and punishing short completions. You can't actually punish those the same way anymore due to rule changes. That's why his defensive style is dead.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
And that D line we had in 2008....They were all 2 and 3 stars. D Morgan was the only 4 star
Richard was 4 star on Scout. Have no idea why Rivals had him rated so low. He had offers from Miami and LSU. Gailey was better able to develop what he got defensively because they were practicing against conventional offense type athletes too. Either way, the option hamstrings the defense and recruiting. 4 failed DCs prove that to me, and 90 percent of CFB fans, coaches, ADs and players will back that up. The academics argument has become an excuse to settle for mediocrity and losing to Duke and Pitt repeatedly.

If the under center option didn't have glaring limitations, why is it just service academies running it? Shouldn't there at least be a Sun Belt or Mountain West team willing to try it? All those ADs are wrong? An offense that passes the ball 4 to 5 times a game is dogsh** to fans and players. The fact Paul Johnson was able to make a decent 4 course meal out if dogsh** is a testament to his brilliance. But even he couldn't get a 4 star gourmet meal out of dogsh**.

Last edited:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Tenuta's scheme doesn't really work against the quick passing game. His scheme based on keeping them from having time for intermediate throws and punishing short completions. You can't actually punish those the same way anymore due to rule changes. That's why his defensive style is dead.
Which might be why he hasn’t really been successful since Tech. It worked against the majority of offenses at the time, but short passing games are much more prevalent now.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I never said i wanted him back. i was arguing that we can get the players to have a good defense because weve done it in the not too distant past, then it devolved into a Tenuta discussion lol

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Your head coach being the Offensive Coordinator and running the triple option doesn’t exactly make defensive players intrigued..

It intrigued guys like Carpenter, C Thomas, J Thomas, Oliver, TK, etc enough to get on board. I’d take those guys any year and under any coach.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It intrigued guys like Carpenter, C Thomas, J Thomas, Oliver, TK, etc enough to get on board. I’d take those guys any year and under any coach.
If they stick around, under a guy like Geoff Collins who's rocked out as a DC at Miss St and Florida, they'll get much better development.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
One of the knocks on Elliott is his lack of experience. But he has a lack of experience because he's worked his way up the ladder so quickly. At 27, he was in his first year of coaching as receivers coach at S.C. State. By 35 he was co-OC at Clemson, and by 38 he was calling their plays. Shooting stars rarely have a lot of experience, but that's because they're on their way up so fast. And they're on their way up so fast because they're good at what they do.
I don't think lack of experience as HC is all bad. If a HC has had success at a other school, he will tend to bring the same approach to Tech and live or die with it. Georgia Tech is unique and the coach should be innovative to find what best works at Tech. A smart young coach like Elliot is more likely to be innovative and less set in his ways than a coach that has been a HC in a different environment. As we did very successfully in the company that I worked for 40 years, it is usually better to hire bright young talent and let them learn to swim in your own waters.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Elliott could come here and bring the whole Clemson playbook and it won't change a thing; every team in the ACC except BC and Pitt try to mimic Clemson's offense with little or no luck; It the defensive side of the ball that needs better coaching and athletes Clemson would have lost 2 to 3 games in the last 2 years if it wer not for the strength of the defense; Hell If Stansbury were smart he would go after Brent Venerbales very hard
Venables is only a few steps away from a straight jacket.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Your head coach being the Offensive Coordinator and running the triple option doesn’t exactly make defensive players intrigued..

I don't think defensive players play defense worried about what offense their team runs, I think they think about destroying the opponents QB.

A good DC is also what they are looking for.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Richard was 4 star on Scout. Have no idea why Rivals had him rated so low. He had offers from Miami and LSU. Gailey was better able to develop what he got defensively because they were practicing against conventional offense type athletes too. Either way, the option hamstrings the defense and recruiting. 4 failed DCs prove that to me, and 90 percent of CFB fans, coaches, ADs and players will back that up. The academics argument has become an excuse to settle for mediocrity and losing to Duke and Pitt repeatedly.

If the under center option didn't have glaring limitations, why is it just service academies running it? Shouldn't there at least be a Sun Belt or Mountain West team willing to try it? All those ADs are wrong? An offense that passes the ball 4 to 5 times a game is dogsh** to fans and players. The fact Paul Johnson was able to make a decent 4 course meal out if dogsh** is a testament to his brilliance. But even he couldn't get a 4 star gourmet meal out of dogsh**.

Damm...someone went ALL in. Don't hold back MG.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I do wish that CPJ would have mixed in some under center with shotgun. However, the NFL uses under center regularly. That is one of the training issues when QB's go to the NFL, they are never under center and it takes them a little while to get the hang of it.
I think he could have done an 80/20 mix and removed the stigma.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I do wish that CPJ would have mixed in some under center with shotgun. However, the NFL uses under center regularly. That is one of the training issues when QB's go to the NFL, they are never under center and it takes them a little while to get the hang of it.
I think he could have done an 80/20 mix and removed the stigma.
Monken is a believer in mixing in the shotgun ;)