Confused by Tony Elliott Support

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Paul ever liked the part of recruiting where you sit in the living room talking to the recruit and his parents:cigar:

I’m just amazed at how many people on here are so negative about our program. We literally have people around the country talking about what a good job this is and our own fanbase says they don’t know what they are talking about. It’s crazy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I hear that consistently but believe it is overblown. Let’s be honest, we have been missing on almost all of our top targets that were qualified. For example CPJ offered roughly 75 4 & 5 star players in 2018 and struck out on all of them. With CPJ’s level of success at graduating players one would have to believe he is a good judge of whether a player can make the grades here. The offering of these players leads me to believe the recruiting and not the restrictions is the larger issue here.
And what is your source for those numbers? Oh wait a minute, the kids self-report their offers. And that’s totally reliable.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
GOL and CCG were graduating less then 60% of players, and CPJ is graduating over 80%. He may not be struggling with it, but he was certainly affected by it given those numbers.

and that’s my point right. If Johnson is offering these guys his track record says they would make it here. So the issue then goes to the recruitment of these kids and not the restrictions right?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’m just amazed at how many people on here are so negative about our program. We literally have people around the country talking about what a good job this is and our own fanbase says they don’t know what they are talking about. It’s crazy.
That's not negative about the GT program as a whole:) Some coaches just don't like the hobnobbing that goes along with recruiting;) Steve Spurrier was one of those coaches who hated it and you know what a great head coach he was:smuggrin:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You can’t clear a hurdle if you imagine it’s smaller than it really is. If you want to clear it, you see it for what it is and design strategy for clearing it.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
and that’s my point right. If Johnson is offering these guys his track record says they would make it here. So the issue then goes to the recruitment of these kids and not the restrictions right?
I believe TStan gave CPJ more leeway (thus why it is 2018 you are seeing the large uptick) and we also were landing better recruits as of late (though never at a rate comparable to GOL or CCG's best). We also had zero recruiting staff until this year I believe (unless they started last year). I have never said CPJ was a good recruiter, but I do say we have systemic issues that contribute as much if not more than CPJ or his offense. Being bottom 60 in spending and 40-50 in recruiting doesn't surprise me. Spending is something TStan wants to fix. As that improves, our recruiting will improve.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I believe TStan gave CPJ more leeway (thus why it is 2018 you are seeing the large uptick) and we also were landing better recruits as of late (though never at a rate comparable to GOL or CCG's best). We also had zero recruiting staff until this year I believe (unless they started last year). I have never said CPJ was a good recruiter, but I do say we have systemic issues that contribute as much if not more than CPJ or his offense. Being bottom 60 in spending and 40-50 in recruiting doesn't surprise me. Spending is something TStan wants to fix. As that improves, our recruiting will improve.

I can agree with this. I just also happen to think that Johnson’s offense was at least as big of a problem as spending.

The spending argument is one I can certainly agree with. The academic angle is what I think history points to being severely overblown.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I guess my question would be how do you set your expectations? I set mine by looking back on what previous coaches did. If you don’t believe that holds merit now, how do you set your expectations?
With one of, if not the, smallest fanbases and football spending in the ACC, GT coming in 4th is exceeding any realistic expectation. And most Tech fans consider it a meh year.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
With one of, if not the, smallest fanbases and football spending in the ACC, GT coming in 4th is exceeding any realistic expectation. And most Tech fans consider it a meh year.

Haven’t those issues been consistent over the past several decades? While the spending gap has increased between us and the powers is that really reason to throw away our historical numbers and call 7-5 overachieving?

If Stansbury is successful at getting our spending to middle of the pack in the ACC I assume you believe our results will improve?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Haven’t those issues been consistent over the past several decades?

No. College football began an arms race in the mid 2000's where we began to lag behind, then trail considerably. If you recall, in the early 2000's we made a huge commitment to infrastructure and expanded our stadium. GOL was a huge driver during this period, and we were competitive in our spending during this time period. As conferences started expanding, spending exploded across the NCAAF landscape. Except at GT, where we are now in the basement of P5 football spending.

Animal02

Banned
No. College football began an arms race in the mid 2000's where we began to lag behind, then trail considerably. If you recall, in the early 2000's we made a huge commitment to infrastructure and expanded our stadium. GOL was a huge driver during this period, and we were competitive in our spending during this time period. As conferences started expanding, spending exploded across the NCAAF landscape. Except at GT, where we are now in the basement of P5 football spending.
Those damn facts again. :eek:

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I guess my question would be how do you set your expectations? I set mine by looking back on what previous coaches did. If you don’t believe that holds merit now, how do you set your expectations?
He expects to be mediocre. He thinks we're at our ceiling. That's all I can gather from dressedcheese.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Um, we have had bend not break defenses in the 90's with O'Leary. In 1999 we had to just outscore every one and didn't do it 4 times. We don't get good defenses because we cannot get enough front 7 guys because of academics. Never have, never will.
We never have but I hate to say we never will. But you put your finger on what I have seen as the main challenge.

Somebody who has time ought to research the following vectors: The number of high school graduates nationally who can realistically play dominant roles as interior defensive linemen; the same sample group checked for low academic performing high schools; the same group checked for needing remedial college prep; ditto checked for STEM background or ability. Then take that number cross check with travel distance to Tech and family's disposable income. My hunch is that every year Tech has about 2, 3 at the most, solid defensive linemen that they and 40 other schools are going to fight over.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reminds me of the old exchange in which one guy says you can't solve problems by throwing money at them. And the other guy says show me a big problem that was ever solved by not throwing money at it.