Confused by Tony Elliott Support

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Who can recruit for a school that does not have academic limitations. Let qualify that statement correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The academic angle is grossly exaggerated. We recruited just fine under O’Leary and Lewis and Ross and Curry. Calculus was still apart of Tech back then. Talking about it to the limit we do is an excuse and nothing more.

Animal02

Banned
Richard was 4 star on Scout. Have no idea why Rivals had him rated so low. He had offers from Miami and LSU. Gailey was better able to develop what he got defensively because they were practicing against conventional offense type athletes too. Either way, the option hamstrings the defense and recruiting. 4 failed DCs prove that to me, and 90 percent of CFB fans, coaches, ADs and players will back that up. The academics argument has become an excuse to settle for mediocrity and losing to Duke and Pitt repeatedly.

If the under center option didn't have glaring limitations, why is it just service academies running it? Shouldn't there at least be a Sun Belt or Mountain West team willing to try it? All those ADs are wrong? An offense that passes the ball 4 to 5 times a game is dogsh** to fans and players. The fact Paul Johnson was able to make a decent 4 course meal out if dogsh** is a testament to his brilliance. But even he couldn't get a 4 star gourmet meal out of dogsh**.
Except the D does not practice against the option outside of a bit at camp.....ignoring the limitations is more delusional thinking from those with the narrative to sell.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The academic angle is grossly exaggerated. We recruited just fine under O’Leary and Lewis and Ross and Curry. Calculus was still apart of Tech back then. Talking about it to the limit we do is an excuse and nothing more.
We'd have to recruit more nationally due to academics, but yes, we can recruit better. People have said there are some donors ready to pony up. Hope that's a go, because I think some of the excuse for not recruiting nationally has been expense.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Chad Morris created the offense that Clemson is running. Morris is struggling at Arkansas and is recognized as Elliots mentor. Elliot needs to take a turn as OC somewhere else to show it’s not a system thing and gain some more experience under another coach. Then he would be a great hire. 5 years from now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Those are my concerns also. Recruiting at Clemson is not equivalent to recruiting at Tech for many, many reasons. Hell, sometimes I feel like I could even recruit for Clemson. They don't have to recruit so much as select. Elliott WILL be a HC somewhere, and probably before too long, but I seriously doubt that he will be instantly successful. IMO, he should consider someplace like App State to get some HC experience.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Back in the day those dudes didn’t have to make progress towards graduation.

I hear that consistently but believe it is overblown. Let’s be honest, we have been missing on almost all of our top targets that were qualified. For example CPJ offered roughly 75 4 & 5 star players in 2018 and struck out on all of them. With CPJ’s level of success at graduating players one would have to believe he is a good judge of whether a player can make the grades here. The offering of these players leads me to believe the recruiting and not the restrictions is the larger issue here.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I hear that consistently but believe it is overblown. Let’s be honest, we have been missing on almost all of our top targets that were qualified. For example CPJ offered roughly 75 4 & 5 star players in 2018 and struck out on all of them. With CPJ’s level of success at graduating players one would have to believe he is a good judge of whether a player can make the grades here. The offering of these players leads me to believe the recruiting and not the restrictions is the larger issue here.
I don't think Paul ever liked the part of recruiting where you sit in the living room talking to the recruit and his parents:cigar:

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Did Johnson struggle with it?

Because if he didn’t then one would expect the 70+ 4 & 5 star players he offered this year would have probably done just fine with.
GOL and CCG were graduating less then 60% of players, and CPJ is graduating over 80%. He may not be struggling with it, but he was certainly affected by it given those numbers.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't think Paul ever liked the part of recruiting where you sit in the living room talking to the recruit and his parents:cigar:
That's actually the one place where it sounds like CPJ has always excelled. Every athlete and parent that talks about CPJ visits had made him sound like a delight.