Confused by Tony Elliott Support

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Time to close this thread. Elliot says he hasn’t been contacted about the job and said “I’m a Clemson Tiger.”

In other words....he’s waiting for a better gig.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
We need to hire a college coach imo with strong ties to the college game, recruiting and how college football programs run year round. That is a 2-3 year learning experience for a nfl coach. And it takes 3-5 for high school coaches to trust you.

Imo, if schools that are far more significant and powerful than tech can hire asst coaches with zero hc experience and take that chance so to speak, and be successful, then we should not shy away from it if its the right person.

I agree with you, with the one caveat being that those assistant coaches with zero HC experience have been in the college coaching and recruiting game for several years, and those recently, not a decade or two ago. I know, I’m just restating what you said already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Time to close this thread. Elliot says he hasn’t been contacted about the job and said “I’m a Clemson Tiger.”

In other words....he’s waiting for a better gig.

Brohm also said, "I'm happy at Purdue."

Then literally the next day he took a plane down to Louisville to interview.

Anything can happen, I suppose. I'm sure TS is going to be head-down in the search now.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Brohm also said, "I'm happy at Purdue."

Then literally the next day he took a plane down to Louisville to interview.

Anything can happen, I suppose. I'm sure TS is going to be head-down in the search now.
The article that quotes him as says my this also speaks to him being open to opportunities— at no point does he say he would never leave. He or his agent will he contacted, don’t know if he’ll end up coming here or not.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
I ain’t much for “feel good” stories, but what intrigues me about Tony Elliot is his life story. Google it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I ain’t much for “feel good” stories, but what intrigues me about Tony Elliot is his life story. Google it.

I tried to a few days back when folks were saying this. Didn't find anything interesting except he was a walk-on player at Clemson and is now a coach...More to it? Link?

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you suggesting that there is a correlation between a hot young coordinator's success as a HC and where he chooses to take his head coaching job? Or am I reading too much into your post?;)
Reading a little to much into it! I think it works both ways ie.Kirby/UGAg, but not every time. I think it is very easy to look smart when you have the best talent/facilities in the country.
If we get him I'd be content, hell I'd be content with anyone outside the Johnson coaching tree ie.TO and the WiZ

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Elliott could come here and bring the whole Clemson playbook and it won't change a thing; every team in the ACC except BC and Pitt try to mimic Clemson's offense with little or no luck; It the defensive side of the ball that needs better coaching and athletes Clemson would have lost 2 to 3 games in the last 2 years if it wer not for the strength of the defense; Hell If Stansbury were smart he would go after Brent Venerbales very hard

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Dabo Swinney said this about him pertaining to his time as Elliott's position coach while Elliott played at Clemson:

"He was such a great leader, and I had such great respect for him. He was a student of the game, and I could never give him enough. He was a meticulous note-taker and would always ask great questions. He was always about maximizing his ability and loved his teammates. One of the things I always loved about him was that he was always trying to serve his teammates."

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The question is, "why Elliott"? I'll answer by reiterating the parts of his resume that impress me, which are those parts that speak to his potential as a winner.
He walked on, but earned a scholarship and was named a team captain. That spells leadership and belief in his own abilities and resourcefulness.
He was a true student/athlete, getting an i.e. degree with a 3.55 g.p.a. That means he's smart and hard-working, and I want a smart, hard-working coach. And he knows what it means to be a true student/athlete, which is the kind of athlete we have here.
What he has already proven is that he is a good recruiter and a good coach. Clemson has more talent than we have, but for those who imagine that Clemson's talent is on a par with Alabama's, it is not. It has been coached up. If he's been calling the plays at Clemson for only one year, think of how successfully he's done that - in his first year.
No, he hasn't proven himself as an HC, but his resume to date would suggest that the only reason for that is because he hasn't gotten a chance, yet. He has success written all over him, and I want a guy like that as our HC. He has blazed a trail behind him of winning and success, he's only 39, and there is every indication that he will continue to win and be successful as he has done to this point. Somebody suggested he's like lightening in a bottle. Well, maybe he is. I want somebody with a big potential upside, who is on his way up, someone who has made his own way and not sought the easy road but has had faith in himself and his abilities. Elliott seems to fit the bill.
Agreed, and if I may, I want a HC that wants to be the HC at The Georgia Institute of Technology !!!