Confused by Tony Elliott Support

white coffey

Georgia Tech Fan
Somebody please help me out. I'm confused about why Tony Elliott seems to be such a high prospect for the HC position on this board. I'd really like to hear from some of the CPJ bashers on this one.

The question is: If you had a choice between these two, which one would you take? That is the decision that you are making:

1) a coach with 22 years of head coaching experience, two DI-AA National Championships, the 4th winningest head coach currently in college football, and a 3-time ACC Coach of the Year (along with MANY other accomplishments including an 86% graduation rate), and

2) a young assistant coach who isn't even his team's sole offensive coordinator, whose only accomplishment is apparently the assistant coach of the year in 2017, and that's about it.

Is that acceptable? Is that seriously the best that GT can do? I'm not trying to be overly negative, but seriously, how do the CPJ bashers rationalize that trade?

What are you seeing in Tony Elliott that I just don't see??

WC

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
It’s simple for most fans,
The program needs new life, what easier way to do that then by hiring a Young Offensive mind that’s worked for the 2nd best coach in the nation, and as a huge bonus, has proven to be one of the best recruiters in the nation.
And also, we don’t get to choose. Paul LEFT us, he’s gone, he gave it up. He wasn’t fired.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Somebody please help me out. I'm confused about why Tony Elliott seems to be such a high prospect for the HC position on this board. I'd really like to hear from some of the CPJ bashers on this one.

The question is: If you had a choice between these two, which one would you take? That is the decision that you are making:

1) a coach with 22 years of head coaching experience, two DI-AA National Championships, the 4th winningest head coach currently in college football, and a 3-time ACC Coach of the Year (along with MANY other accomplishments including an 86% graduation rate), and

2) a young assistant coach who isn't even his team's sole offensive coordinator, whose only accomplishment is apparently the assistant coach of the year in 2017, and that's about it.

Is that acceptable? Is that seriously the best that GT can do? I'm not trying to be overly negative, but seriously, how do the CPJ bashers rationalize that trade?

WC

But it’s not a choice between CPJ and Tony Elliott. It’s a choice between every available coach and CPJ isn’t one of them.

From my perspective, it seems like we have to do better with recruiting. We need someone with a network in the southeast and someone that can relate to his players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

WC
CPJ is retired move on:cigar:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It actually amazes me to read the speculation on these message boards.

None of us have ever met most of the names being tossed around, or seen them in action. We haven’t a clue who would be best for GT. Near as I can tell, most folks are reacting based on what offense is being run by the candidates current team. With recruiting prowess being a close second.

It seems that few have thought through the fact that our offense will be run by the new OC when we hire one, the head coach will obviously influence it but a good head coach will be like a good CEO, We need the brilliant offensive genius in the OC role.

That’s all I got.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We need to hire a college coach imo with strong ties to the college game, recruiting and how college football programs run year round. That is a 2-3 year learning experience for a nfl coach. And it takes 3-5 for high school coaches to trust you.

Imo, if schools that are far more significant and powerful than tech can hire asst coaches with zero hc experience and take that chance so to speak, and be successful, then we should not shy away from it if its the right person.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I still think getting a guy like this is a bit of a romantic fairytale. I think everyone else under consideration (or at least under consideration here on the internet) has HC experience. And thus,they have measurable W's -L's to compare. This guy has not lost a game ever in his career so no one can find fault with his record. Plus, he has the "secret recipe" because he has coached at Clemson (or Bama) so we too can have the "secret recipe" and be just as good as Clemson.

I've said it before, if this guy was doing what he does at Wake or Vandy, I would be way more excited about him as a candidate. Or even if he had 2 years of HC at West Ga. College. If he gets hired I will support him 100%. Someone said they all have question marks and I agree. But this guy is the biggest ? of all the names mentioned. Pure roll of the dice. I don't know, if I am in TStan's shoes, if I would stake my career to Elliott.

But if he comes, I will cheer for him to become a HOF'er here at Tech.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I like CPJ , but he retired so we need to move on. I like Elliott but I also like some of the other who have been mentioned other than Whisenhunt. If our AD only interviewed him and then names him as our new head coach I have a bad problem with the AD.
I hope my concerns are not justified, but I'm starting to get worried about this. Stansbury has got to make the right decision on this hire. We don't need to go back to the 1980s.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One other thing...look at Kirby Smart. He left Alabama to go to a school similar to Bama. Has he done a good job? Yes. But look at Bama...have they suffered w/out Smart? No. At places like Bama or Clemson, the structure is in place so the assistants are just "plug and play". Sure, they have to know football to work at these places.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

WC
I don't understand your point on it being a CPJ/Elliot choice? I didn't even start thinking about Elliot until CPJ already retired. To be honest with you, I didn't know a whole lot about some of the other names being thrown out like Satterfield (who some were saying was gone to Louisville already) and Neal Brown. The main reasons I liked Elliot is b/c:
1) he can recruit
2) he runs a rpo system that would be an easier personnel transition for us
3) programs with our profile and circumstances have had more luck recently hiring young bright coaches to raise the level of their program while accepting themselves being stepping stones to bigger jobs. 'Pete Carroll' does not cover all the NFL to college coaching failures. CFB is just a different animal from NFL

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I still think getting a guy like this is a bit of a romantic fairytale. I think everyone else under consideration (or at least under consideration here on the internet) has HC experience. And thus,they have measurable W's -L's to compare. This guy has not lost a game ever in his career so no one can find fault with his record. Plus, he has the "secret recipe" because he has coached at Clemson (or Bama) so we too can have the "secret recipe" and be just as good as Clemson.

I've said it before, if this guy was doing what he does at Wake or Vandy, I would be way more excited about him as a candidate. Or even if he had 2 years of HC at West Ga. College. If he gets hired I will support him 100%. Someone said they all have question marks and I agree. But this guy is the biggest ? of all the names mentioned. Pure roll of the dice. I don't know, if I am in TStan's shoes, if I would stake my career to Elliott.

But if he comes, I will cheer for him to become a HOF'er here at Tech.
Complete agreement. But if we are going the " great assistant" route, I think their may be more qualified candidates out there under the radar. According to reports , TStan is targeting someone with HC experience FIRST. Time to trust and support TStan.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Complete agreement. But if we are going the " great assistant" route, I think their may be more qualified candidates out there under the radar. According to reports , TStan is targeting someone with HC experience FIRST. Time to trust and support TStan.
Unless it's Ken Whisenhunt which will unite the fanbase in the other direction;):cigar:

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
On one hand I’m concerned about all the same Elliot question marks.

On the other hand I see the potential.

Ultimately, we won’t be in the interview(s) but I would think Stansbury will see the potential going in but have the same questions/concerns. Elliot’s charisma and plan on how to build Tech as a legitimate program will be revealed there and we typical fans won’t have the luxury of seeing the fullness of Tony Elliot. Stansbury will.

It has been interesting that here on this board every conversation seems to come back to Elliot. I like Collins and Satterfield and am open to others but Elliot is the sexy topic.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
We probably have the best AD we have had in a long time. He understands the things that make our school special and challenging. Can you imagine if Braine or MBob was the AD now ? I am putting my money on TStan to make us proud.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much about Elliott beyond what can be extrapolated by Clemson's success.

Personally, I'm wary of any "factory" candidates. The formula at Clemson or Alabama is very different than what is needed at Georgia Tech. CPJ has opined often that the guys with reputations as "great recruiters" usually get that at schools that always finish in the top 10. (Pastner had a reputation as a great recruiter, and now it would appear that had a lot to do with Memphis.)

If an assistant is hired, there's going to be a learning curve on and off the field. I'm skeptical that the fans pushing for guys like Elliott and Key will suddenly be patient while he learns on the job.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I don't know much about Elliott beyond what can be extrapolated by Clemson's success.

Personally, I'm wary of any "factory" candidates. The formula at Clemson or Alabama is very different than what is needed at Georgia Tech. CPJ has opined often that the guys with reputations as "great recruiters" usually get that at schools that always finish in the top 10. (Pastner had a reputation as a great recruiter, and now it would appear that had a lot to do with Memphis.)

If an assistant is hired, there's going to be a learning curve on and off the field. I'm skeptical that the fans pushing for guys like Elliott and Key will suddenly be patient while he learns on the job.
+++++