Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No, my friend, they don’t. There’s no one willing to pay to watch service academy sports. If there is, monetize it and show me. But you can’t.

You're the one arguing, "my friend". You must have missed where Army-Navy is one of the highest viewed games every year. They were the 14th highest rated game last year...higher than any game GT was involved in. In fact, it's one of the highest rated games every year. That in itself blows up your monetization argument.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You're the one arguing, "my friend". You must have missed where Army-Navy is one of the highest viewed games every year. They were the 14th highest rated game last year...higher than any game GT was involved in. In fact, it's one of the highest rated games every year. That in itself blows up your monetization argument.

And how much money is Army pulling in every year for broadcast rights? So much they are willing to join the AAC. The same conference SMU can’t wait to escape. Right.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
And how much money is Army pulling in every year for broadcast rights? So much they are willing to join the AAC. The same conference SMU can’t wait to escape. Right.

LOL, now you're moving goal posts. In fact, you're saying no one is willing to pay for service academies, but the AAC and networks sponsoring the AAC are doing precisely that. So in a way, you've proved yourself wrong. Enjoy your evening, "my friend".

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LOL, now you're moving goal posts. In fact, you're saying no one is willing to pay for service academies, but the AAC and networks sponsoring the AAC are doing precisely that. So in a way, you've proved yourself wrong. Enjoy your evening, "my friend".
No, I’m not moving goalposts. In College Football today, Army is irrelevant. They aren’t monetizing value in line with others and their chances of making the CFB playoff is …zero.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No, I’m not moving goalposts. In College Football today, Army is irrelevant. They aren’t monetizing value in line with others and their chances of making the CFB playoff is …zero.

No one is making that argument but you. If that's your argument that CFB playoffs is all that matters, well, you just eliminated 95% of the teams out there. Obviously, even you know that's wrong.

Your original argument is that no one cares about the service academy sports. 14-15 million people a year that tune into Army-Navy game says otherwise. Then you're trying to say no one is paying them...but the networks that sponsor the AAC and Army-Navy games again proves you wrong...again.

If you want have an argument that Army and Navy will never make monetization in terms of the CFB playoffs, then you may be right...but that's not the argument you started with.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys do realize the Service Academies are on the DOD's ledger right? The biggest budgetary black hole known to mankind? I don't think their Athletic Departments are too worried about money.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No one is making that argument but you. If that's your argument that CFB playoffs is all that matters, well, you just eliminated 95% of the teams out there. Obviously, even you know that's wrong.

Your original argument is that no one cares about the service academy sports. 14-15 million people a year that tune into Army-Navy game says otherwise. Then you're trying to say no one is paying them...but the networks that sponsor the AAC and Army-Navy games again proves you wrong...again.

If you want have an argument that Army and Navy will never make monetization in terms of the CFB playoffs, then you may be right...but that's not the argument you started with.
Why don’t you use actual facts? How much is Army getting in its broadcast rights? Is it $35 million a year? If there are 12 schools in the AAC, that suggest that Army is worrh about $7 million in broadcast rights. Not much.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You guys do realize the Service Academies are on the DOD's ledger right? The biggest budgetary black hole known to mankind? I don't think their Athletic Departments are too worried about money.
I agree. But that’s not the point. In D1, Army is not the premier program. It’s not even in the Top 50, financially. No one is clamoring to broadcast the Army Network on ESPNor Fox. But some think otherwise…

Money matters to those whose expenses have to be earned and not taxpayer paid.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont owe the shaft gt professors for making me resourceful. I was always that way. I found that by adding superior effort i made top grades. The hill did not care.

Now the Hill cares that no one stops paying full tuition. Grade inflation, tuturing paid for by likely hire mega corporations , vastly increased foreign students ( many have been in college in home country) , etc have maxed out revenue .
Are the students w top grades less resourceful or hard working?

Bell curves was 2 A s, 2 Fs big group of Cs. NO BODY MADE DEANS LIST

Now is 2 4.0, 2 2.5 and big group of 3.2. NOW MOST GET ON DEANS LIST

WE HAVE GREAT STUDENTS LIKE ALWAYS
A number of these points register with me. And my time ended in ‘96

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why don’t you use actual facts? How much is Army getting in its broadcast rights? Is it $35 million a year? If there are 12 schools in the AAC, that suggest that Army is worrh about $7 million in broadcast rights. Not much.

I did use actual facts. You think Army and Navy are letting networks televise them for free? In what world are you living in?

Who is arguing the amount? You. So the service academies and AAC are not making P5 money...that was not the argument. You said "There’s no one willing to pay to watch service academy sports. If there is, monetize it and show me." Well, their media contract proves you wrong.

You must like to prove yourself wrong, because you keep doing it.

Apologies that you can't stand the fact that there's actually value in teams outside of the P5, and it seems especially the service academies, but all content has value. May not be P5 value, but "monetization" isn't the issue.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I did use actual facts. You think Army and Navy are letting networks televise them for free? In what world are you living in?

Who is arguing the amount? You. So the service academies and AAC are not making P5 money...that was not the argument. You said "There’s no one willing to pay to watch service academy sports. If there is, monetize it and show me." Well, their media contract proves you wrong.

You must like to prove yourself wrong, because you keep doing it.

Apologies that you can't stand the fact that there's actually value in teams outside of the P5, and it seems especially the service academies, but all content has value. May not be P5 value, but "monetization" isn't the issue.
Ok. The networks paid Army $1. You’re right.

Pointless to continue.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Actually, CBS paid Army and Navy at least $10 million back in 2012...I'm pretty sure it's gone up since.
Wow! Actual facts!

So Army got $5 million. Let’s say it went up. Can’t be too much if they are willing to join the AAC for $7 million. Let’s call it $7 million.

In CFB today, that’s not very much. I doubt there’s much demand to carry the product on any network on a regular basis as the viewership probably wouldn’t cover the costs. If you price it low enough, you might get some.

That’s what I mean by nobody cares. If you product can’t command an average price, it’s not in demand. So, you take what you can get. Free money.

You’re speaking Latin, I’m speaking Greek. It’s pointless to continue. Enjoy your evening.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wow! Actual facts!

So Army got $5 million. Let’s say it went up. Can’t be too much if they are willing to join the AAC for $7 million. Let’s call it $7 million.

In CFB today, that’s not very much. I doubt there’s much demand to carry the product on any network on a regular basis as the viewership probably wouldn’t cover the costs. If you price it low enough, you might get some.

That’s what I mean by nobody cares. If you product can’t command an average price, it’s not in demand. So, you take what you can get. Free money.

You’re speaking Latin, I’m speaking Greek. It’s pointless to continue. Enjoy your evening.

14+ million tune in to watch Army Navy game every year. #14 most watched game last year.

You not caring does not equate to "nobody cares".

You enjoy your evening as well, "my friend".

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure this is hyperbole ....

BUT if I were in charge of the ACC and I had a long term contract with an entity that was publicly bashing me (especially in light of the unrest already created by ACC members), I would sure as hell be on the phone to someone pretty high up expressing my displeasure. They had to dig pretty deep to make this a bad week for the ACC.
I'm surprised that you all are surprised, this is what the media has been doing for years in most everything they touch, I don't waste my time listening to anything they say because it is absolutely worthless IMO, always full of deception, lies, misleads, why would I want to ever pay attention to any of it, but it appears I'm in a minority. If people would quit going there they would be forced to stop it, no advertisers. For me it took discipline, finding other things to do, occupy my mind, I had to make the conscience effort, changed my life noticeably after I dropped the habits. All I do is watch the sporting events themselves and doing less and less of that.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
You guys are crushing it with this hobby horse argument.....

Animated GIF

Go Army 🇱🇷

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
One game. Ok. Fine.
It is the language you use. It sounds like SEC fanboy spin hype. "Nobody cares". That literally means that there is not a single person in the planet that cares about Army football. Just by definition that is patently false. If you had said that not as many people care fanatically about Army football as care fanatically about Ohio State football, that would likely be true, but it wouldn't have the same zing to it as saying that not a single person on the planet cares about Army football.

I would also like to point out that if you are looking for meaning, the Army-Navy game has more actual meaning to it than the CFP championship game. Depending on who you are, it might not have the same entertainment value. However it is an event that symbolizes the teamwork of groups of men and their classmates who are dedicating their lives, and possibly their deaths, to the service of our country. I can say this without any exaggeration: There is not a single game played by any team in the SEC that has actual meaning even close to what that game has.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It is the language you use. It sounds like SEC fanboy spin hype. "Nobody cares". That literally means that there is not a single person in the planet that cares about Army football. Just by definition that is patently false. If you had said that not as many people care fanatically about Army football as care fanatically about Ohio State football, that would likely be true, but it wouldn't have the same zing to it as saying that not a single person on the planet cares about Army football.

I would also like to point out that if you are looking for meaning, the Army-Navy game has more actual meaning to it than the CFP championship game. Depending on who you are, it might not have the same entertainment value. However it is an event that symbolizes the teamwork of groups of men and their classmates who are dedicating their lives, and possibly their deaths, to the service of our country. I can say this without any exaggeration: There is not a single game played by any team in the SEC that has actual meaning even close to what that game has.
In CFB today, Army is irrelevant. Yes they have fans but … they will never win a Natty, they will never get a $70 million media rights deal and yes, compared to 30-odd other teams, “nobody cares“. They are interested, but not enough to monetize it in any meaningful way.

I looked at the stats. Army was ranked in 2018 and before that … 1996. Hardly a significant player on the national stage.

And to be fair, there’s 80 other programs that are irrelevant. Bowling Green, Buffalo, Charlotte, Holy Cross … are all now irrelevant. That doesn’t mean they don’t have fans.

I think there’s a lot of emotion wrapped up in the Army-Navy Game, no question. But beyond that, there’s not a lot of media coverage that translates into demand that people are willing to pay for. If they were, they wouldn‘t be a candidate for the AAC which pays what, $7 million? Thats 80% less than an ACC team.

We have different definitions of what being relevant means.