Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really want you to argue to ESPN why Boston College deserves $80M a year in media rights.

All animals are equal. Only some animals are more equal than others.

Silly. BOTH programs bring significantl fan bases who care.

Why not ask about Florida Atlantic vs Murray State?
My point is that ESPN should have already factored in the market for the games they will show and the time slots. Why is that worrisome for us as fans? Maybe they will discover the contracts for rights are overcommitted and fewer games will be profitable for them, but, again, why are we passionate about that?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
All animals are equal. Only some animals are more equal than others.

That's just pig talk...... Komodo dragons are more equal. Of course, that's according to the Komodo dragons

pig swallows GIF

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The big thing about Army - Navy this year is that the C of C trophy is almost certain to be won by … Air Force. Why, you might ask?

Because Calhoun is still running the spread option and it looks like he has the QB to do it. I.e. for all the whining about rule changes, you can still run the O. You need big ABs to do it (Air Force has them) and you need to pass more (they did, looking like Tech in 2013). I get the feeling that Monken may revert as well.

Now, as to the game: since my Dad died in service with the Navy, I watch every year and cheer for the Middies. I htink they will win it this year, if what I saw in their first games is any indication.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@Vespidae

You are one of the posters on the Swarm I respect, so don't take this as being disrespectful. But, the topic of this thread has essentially been settled for now. I ponder the eventual future for Oregon State and Washington State, because they are the 1st programs to be "relegated" in this realignment process. The TV negotiations are outside my interest level except where it influences the payouts to Ga Tech and its ACC partners. This thread was a very interesting thought process while it was unsettled, but that time has passed.

I agree that more people will watch the championship game than any other game. It would be silly to state otherwise. That does not mean the fans of those "lesser" teams don't matter.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The big thing about Army - Navy this year is that the C of C trophy is almost certain to be won by … Air Force. Why, you might ask?

Because Calhoun is still running the spread option and it looks like he has the QB to do it. I.e. for all the whining about rule changes, you can still run the O. You need big ABs to do it (Air Force has them) and you need to pass more (they did, looking like Tech in 2013). I get the feeling that Monken may revert as well.

Now, as to the game: since my Dad died in service with the Navy, I watch every year and cheer for the Middies. I htink they will win it this year, if what I saw in their first games is any indication.
I served in the Navy (4 years) and my best friend from HS played at Army. I watch the game now with no real loyalty to either. It is usually in December when it is the best game available and it is good entertainment. A lot more fun to watch more equally matched teams than blowouts by the factories. I do like watching the top 10 matchups as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My point is that ESPN should have already factored in the market for the games they will show and the time slots. Why is that worrisome for us as fans? Maybe they will discover the contracts for rights are overcommitted and fewer games will be profitable for them, but, again, why are we passionate about that?
You are passionate about that because it’s the new proxy for attendance. Ask Washington State.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
@Vespidae

You are one of the posters on the Swarm I respect, so don't take this as being disrespectful. But, the topic of this thread has essentially been settled for now. I ponder the eventual future for Oregon State and Washington State, because they are the 1st programs to be "relegated" in this realignment process. The TV negotiations are outside my interest level except where it influences the payouts to Ga Tech and its ACC partners. This thread was a very interesting thought process while it was unsettled, but that time has passed.

I agree that more people will watch the championship game than any other game. It would be silly to state otherwise. That does not mean the fans of those "lesser" teams don't matter.
I don’t take it disrespectful but thanks for that.

50 years ago, the measure of a successful coach was attendance and a percentage of the gate. Dodd himself said the coach owns the quality of the product on the field. And should be paid accordingl.

Wash State and others are screwed. Not because they didn’t have a good product, but rather… they had no control over distribution of content. Totally different criteria.

We, who love CFB, have to accept that it is a multi billion dollar business now. And nostalgia, traditional rivals, etc … will ALL be thrown overboard if necessary.

I can envision an era when UGA will not play Tech. For purely monetary reasons. And FYI … the only reason Auburn plays Alabama is because the State Legislature made it law.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, because traveling from Atlanta to Dallas is that much worse than Gainseville to Columbia,MO or Fayettville
To put this in context, you’re comparing the most extreme SEC travel with the average ACC travel. GT in Atlanta is centrally located but event the. you could be traveling to Dallas one week and Boston the next and NorCal the following week.

If the California teams are gonna play all their home games in Dallas thars also a disaster because suddenly these top notch teams you added to your conference have no home games. How long will Stanford remain a top notch team when its recruits realize they have to travel for every game.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
This performance based payout now in the ACC and pushed by FSU / Clemson, is just a smaller version of what they are complaining about with the SEC payout difference. It does nothing but gives advantage to the top teams to keep them on top. Makes it a lot harder for bottom half teams to get into the top. At least the NFL tries to give bottom teams a chance to move up. I will not be sorry to see FSU leave.
The difference is that the NFL is a single league. The NFC East is significantly more valuable than any other division but they spread their money out to the rest of the divisions (except a grandfathered clause that allows Dallas to keep certain earnings only to themselves which no other team in the league is allowed).

FSU in the ACC gets no benefit from Florida in the SEC or Iowa in the B1G doing any better financially.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
To put this in context, you’re comparing the most extreme SEC travel with the average ACC travel. GT in Atlanta is centrally located but event the. you could be traveling to Dallas one week and Boston the next and NorCal the following week.
I think Norman is farther than Fayetteville or Columbia.

Also I don't think it's likely that anyone is playing 3 straight road games back to back like that, there is probably a scheduling rule to prevent that. Syracuse is the only ACC team I see playing three road games in a row this season, but they have a bye week between the 2nd and 3rd of those games.

Last edited:

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
If the California teams are gonna play all their home games in Dallas thars also a disaster because suddenly these top notch teams you added to your conference have no home games. How long will Stanford remain a top notch team when its recruits realize they have to travel for every game.
The Dallas hub agreement does not apply to football or basketball. I'm sure that they recruit for the other sports, but I'm not sure how the hub agreement would affect that.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
The difference is that the NFL is a single league. The NFC East is significantly more valuable than any other division but they spread their money out to the rest of the divisions (except a grandfathered clause that allows Dallas to keep certain earnings only to themselves which no other team in the league is allowed).

FSU in the ACC gets no benefit from Florida in the SEC or Iowa in the B1G doing any better financially.
Since the issue now is money (and not the actual games), I wonder if this will change in the future.

I also wonder how schools who are not part of the big boy league will feel about having no opportunity for promotion.

Sunderland 'Til I Die.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

One thing that irks me about this article (I know it's not the point, but still) - since when is North Carolina one of the ACC's "four historic football powers"?

Their most recent ACC Championship was 1980. Hell, since the inception of the ACC Championship Game they've only made 1 appearance, compared to GT's 4 and Virginia Tech's 6. Even Pitt. Wake Forest, and Boston College have more appearances than them.

And I count 0 national championships in their history.

I always thought of Duke and North Carolina as almost guaranteed wins in football. Amazing how the SportsCenter & GameDay anchors can simply push a different narrative and the rest of the press picks it up and runs with it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
One thing that irks me about this article (I know it's not the point, but still) - since when is North Carolina one of the ACC's "four historic football powers"?

Their most recent ACC Championship was 1980. Hell, since the inception of the ACC Championship Game they've only made 1 appearance, compared to GT's 4 and Virginia Tech's 6. Even Pitt. Wake Forest, and Boston College have more appearances than them.

And I count 0 national championships in their history.

I always thought of Duke and North Carolina as almost guaranteed wins in football. Amazing how the SportsCenter & GameDay anchors can simply push a different narrative and the rest of the press picks it up and runs with it.
Alternative facts. Yeah, Lawrence Taylor played there the last time UNC won the ACC. He's been in the NFL Hall of Fame since the end of the 20th century.

Last edited: