Conference Realignment

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is the language you use. It sounds like SEC fanboy spin hype. "Nobody cares". That literally means that there is not a single person in the planet that cares about Army football. Just by definition that is patently false. If you had said that not as many people care fanatically about Army football as care fanatically about Ohio State football, that would likely be true, but it wouldn't have the same zing to it as saying that not a single person on the planet cares about Army football.

I would also like to point out that if you are looking for meaning, the Army-Navy game has more actual meaning to it than the CFP championship game. Depending on who you are, it might not have the same entertainment value. However it is an event that symbolizes the teamwork of groups of men and their classmates who are dedicating their lives, and possibly their deaths, to the service of our country. I can say this without any exaggeration: There is not a single game played by any team in the SEC that has actual meaning even close to what that game has.
I love watching the Army Navy game every year. I know I'm not seeing the best athletes, but the event represents something very special to me (as it does to many) and I always look forward to it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I love watching the Army Navy game every year. I know I'm not seeing the best athletes, but the event represents something very special to me (as it does to many) and I always look forward to it.
Do you watch it with the expectation that one of the two teams will be national champion? I don’t. I enjoy the nostalgia of it but we are in a very, very different sports environment than even 5 years ago. And it’s going to get worse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do you watch it with the expectation that one of the two teams will be national champion?
Do I really have to answer that? I watch it for far different reasons. Maybe the thing that makes it so special and even somewhat poignant is precisely because we are in a very different sports environment.
Yes, it's an anachronism that I appreciate now more than ever.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Do I really have to answer that? I watch it for far different reasons.
I do too. My point is that it’s irrelevant to CFB as we are coming to experience it today and in the future. Nostalgia is being cast aside as are traditionally rivalries.

I think I’m forcing folks to confront an unhappy part of CFB. I accept that. I don’t like it either. But IIWII.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I do too. My point is that it’s irrelevant to CFB as we are coming to experience it today and in the future. Nostalgia is being cast aside as are traditionally rivalries.

I think I’m forcing folks to confront an unhappy part of CFB. I accept that. I don’t like it either. But IIWII.
That's exactly right, and somewhat ironically, it's what makes the game so special today. It's a poignant reminder of what college football used to be, and what we're losing.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Most rational people know college sports, not just CFB, has entered into a new phase. Traditions have gone to the waste basket, and athlete loyalties can be bought. Dabo is fighting against a tsunami and he's going to lose his kingdom to tidal wave if he doesn't change.

But there's still a place for tradition and nostalgia. Maybe the networks won't pay for tradition and nostalgia, but fans will still turn up to fill the seats for their traditions and sacred rivalries.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm surprised that you all are surprised, this is what the media has been doing for years in most everything they touch, I don't waste my time listening to anything they say because it is absolutely worthless IMO, always full of deception, lies, misleads, why would I want to ever pay attention to any of it, but it appears I'm in a minority. If people would quit going there they would be forced to stop it, no advertisers. For me it took discipline, finding other things to do, occupy my mind, I had to make the conscience effort, changed my life noticeably after I dropped the habits. All I do is watch the sporting events themselves and doing less and less of that.
:D
Agree with everything you said!
I’m not surprised... just believe we ought to stick up for ourselves. It’s kind of crazy that ESPN would go out of their way to diminish an asset, but their position on the ACC doesn’t surprise. you are spot on.
FWIW, I would’ve never seen any of it if it had not landed on this site. This place is my only vice. ;)😇

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But that’s not the point. In D1, Army is not the premier program. It’s not even in the Top 50, financially. No one is clamoring to broadcast the Army Network on ESPNor Fox. But some think otherwise…

Money matters to those whose expenses have to be earned and not taxpayer paid.
All cadets at all the service academies are on scholarship. Army has an athletic association very similar to all colleges. The Army AA takes in about $50M per year. It spends money to support the 30 NCAA varsity sports Army participates in. I suspect taxpayer dollars are used to some extent for the facilities as they are part of the Military Post. Things like golf courses and bowling alleys on military bases are not supported with appropriated funds (tax dollars) rather what DoD calls non appropriated funds (from profits off the venues).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The 2 biggest factors in what determines viewership are what network the game is on and what time it is on. All you have to do to see this is to look at viewership numbers.

A game in the mid-afternoon on a broadcast network is almost always going to be the most highly rated game on TV, followed by a mid-afternoon game on ESPN. Prime time game on one of those networks will also gather similar numbers.
The third largest factor is what is the competition for viewers is like. For instance, the GT-Louisville game will likely be one of the 2 most watched GT games this season, possibly the most watched game - why - because it was on in primetime with no real competition for viewers. It had little to do with the fanbases for GT or L'ville.

Army does not have a large natural viewership, but the Army-Navy game is on a broadcast network in the middle of the afternoon with no competing games. It is also a big traditional rival game that alot of fans of neither program are going to watch. That is why is draws large numbers.

Actual fanbase size is probably around 4th in importance.

This is also why no money should be distributed based on TV numbers. They are so influenced by who is playing when and on what channel that they aren't a non-biased measure.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
All cadets at all the service academies are on scholarship. Army has an athletic association very similar to all colleges. The Army AA takes in about $50M per year. It spends money to support the 30 NCAA varsity sports Army participates in. I suspect taxpayer dollars are used to some extent for the facilities as they are part of the Military Post. Things like golf courses and bowling alleys on military bases are not supported with appropriated funds (tax dollars) rather what DoD calls non appropriated funds (from profits off the venues).
do you know what the sources of that $50 mil are?

Edit: NM.. I found this interesting link

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I only went to one game live and I have to say I wish all college games could be this exciting. The chanting, cheering, standing, singing and all the pageantry reminded me of the energy level of some European soccer matches, or, the way I remember all college games being 60 years ago.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Do you watch it with the expectation that one of the two teams will be national champion? I don’t. I enjoy the nostalgia of it but we are in a very, very different sports environment than even 5 years ago. And it’s going to get worse.
I think watching Tech the past few years has more to do with nostalgia than winning championships. Sadly.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I mean, 99% of college football games are watched where neither team has a chance to be national champions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I mean, 99% of college football games are watched where neither team has a chance to be national champions
Seriously? One viewer of Lower Slobodia vs Trotsky State is not the same as a 7 rating of UGA v Alabama for a natty.

This is the dichotomy in sports today. Viewers v viewers that matter. CFB is a business now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Seriously? One viewer of Lower Slobodia vs Trotsky State is not the same as a 7 rating of UGA v Alabama for a natty.

This is the dichotomy in sports today. Viewers v viewers that matter. CFB is a business now.
Are you saying that viewers will not watch Auburn play Ole Miss? Or that those viewers don't matter?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And it's been like that since the beginning of time.
I really want you to argue to ESPN why Boston College deserves $80M a year in media rights.

All animals are equal. Only some animals are more equal than others.
Are you saying that viewers will not watch Auburn play Ole Miss? Or that those viewers don't matter?
Silly. BOTH programs bring significantl fan bases who care.

Why not ask about Florida Atlantic vs Murray State?