Conference Realignment

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Do we know how much of an increase we would get from ESPN for adding Notre Dame to the conference? Does that get us to $50m per member?
I doubt it. The current deal is ~ $40 million per school. ND would have to add ~ $150 million or more to the pot in order to increase the payout to $50 million per school.
But they're the only school available that could improve the ACC's situation, if everybody gets an even share.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Posted for the sheer entertainment value.

The replies are great entertainment. Thank you.

1692403707621.png

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Makes me remember in 1964 when we all said GT would be the Notre Dame of the South! My excuse is I was a Naive Sophomore.
Parents ,both U Ala grads , were aghast when i chose Gt in 65 I was on campus for a year before i realized we were not in SEC.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My UNC neighbor told me yesterday that the ACC presidents and ADs are meeting this weekend (maybe today) and will take a real vote (not a straw poll) about Stanford and Cal. He does not know if SMU is included, but thinks not. His opinion is that the meeting and vote are not required unless UNC or NC State have decided to vote with the majority.

Another factoid he shared: NC law requires UNC and NC State to be in the same conference. I did not know that. Unless there is wiggle room, that pretty much eliminates the B1G for UNC. And, maybe the SEC as well.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
My UNC neighbor told me yesterday that the ACC presidents and ADs are meeting this weekend (maybe today) and will take a real vote (not a straw poll) about Stanford and Cal. He does not know if SMU is included, but thinks not. His opinion is that the meeting and vote are not required unless UNC or NC State have decided to vote with the majority.

Another factoid he shared: NC law requires UNC and NC State to be in the same conference. I did not know that. Unless there is wiggle room, that pretty much eliminates the B1G for UNC. And, maybe the SEC as well.

Stanford and SMU are both offering to give up what would be their share back to the conference to be let in, Cal is not. From what I understand, Cal's athletic department is saddled with hundreds of millions in debt, so they can't afford to take a partial share. If that is the case, I would take SMU and Stanford at this point, and leave Cal. I don't see any benefit to the conference with them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Stanford and SMU are both offering to give up what would be their share back to the conference to be let in, Cal is not. From what I understand, Cal's athletic department is saddled with hundreds of millions in debt, so they can't afford to take a partial share. If that is the case, I would take SMU and Stanford at this point, and leave Cal. I don't see any benefit to the conference with them.
The problem for Cal is the PAC-4 is dead after this season unless they can add 4 schools. That seems to be a stretch right now due to the lack of a TV deal and the exit fees MWC and AAC teams would have to pay to join the PAC-n. Joining the MWC is not much better in the short term than joining the ACC for zero. Cal has to be thinking out beyond the the next 4-5 years. But, debt can make for strange decisions.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I have a hypothetical question using Cal as an example. Say Cal is left without a conference and TV money. They play a home game against a B1G team. Would Cal receive money from the B1G television network?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a hypothetical question using Cal as an example. Say Cal is left without a conference and TV money. They play a home game against a B1G team. Would Cal receive money from the B1G television network?
The B1G TV contract pays for TV rights to conference games and home games against non-conference opponents. It does not cover non-conference games played at opposing teams stadiums. So, if Cal hosted tOSU they would not get any money from the B1G TV contract. Furthermore, unless they had a side deal in the contract, they would get nothing from the B1G TV contract even if the game was played at tOSU.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I believe the game would not be televised in that situation, unless Cal worked out a deal with a network to cover the game.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The B1G TV contract pays for TV rights to conference games and home games against non-conference opponents. It does not cover non-conference games played at opposing teams stadiums. So, if Cal hosted tOSU they would not get any money from the B1G TV contract. Furthermore, unless they had a side deal in the contract, they would get nothing from the B1G TV contract even if the game was played at tOSU.
So if Mich were to invite App State to return for a do over, the only incentive for ASU is the check Mich writes.