Conference Realignment

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If tey don't join us, just threaten to void our "other" sport arrangment. Surely that's worth some $ to them.

This would be the single biggest way to tank the ACC and leave our teams in financial distress until 2036. The ESPN contract was written knowing that 5 of their televised games would have ND as an opponent. The money we get is partially due to NDs presence on our schedules. If we were to renege on ND, then ESPN would be well within their rights to lessen the amount of money they send our way. This would basically be cutting our noses off to spite our face.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How did you come up with the 1-14 rankings or order? Something you made up or is this actual viewership rankings? I ask because when I go into medium.com and look at their numbers it shows for instance that Louisville has viewership along with Pitt, UM higher than GT.
i got it off a website - not sure of accuracy but here is the link - i can't say to its accuracy.
BTW I ran the numbers ssuming 50 max 27 low and it looked better

1​
clemson
50​
2​
fsu
50​
3​
ncst
33​
4​
unc
32​
5​
syracuse
31​
6​
gt
31​
7​
pitt
27​
8​
um
27​
9​
wake
27​
10​
louisville
27​
11​
bc
27​
12​
vt
27​
13​
uva
27​
14​
duke
27​
444​

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I really hope you don’t think we would have been fine playing in the Metro . We only played basketball in the Metro and we’re not that good. We wanted back in the SEC but could not get the vote. So yes the ACC did help Tech.
I didn't say it didn't. What I said was that the ACC did not throw Tech a lifeline as if we were the only one to gain a benefit. The ACC BENEFITTED financially by adding Tech and it made sense to do so. Especially considering that it had lost South Carolina and schools in those days relied more on gate receipts than TV revenue.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This would be the single biggest way to tank the ACC and leave our teams in financial distress until 2036. The ESPN contract was written knowing that 5 of their televised games would have ND as an opponent. The money we get is partially due to NDs presence on our schedules. If we were to renege on ND, then ESPN would be well within their rights to lessen the amount of money they send our way. This would basically be cutting our noses off to spite our face.
Not to mention, in doing so, we would have to release them from GOR. Not that there is any way we could get all schools to sign off on that right now, but we also would not want to set any precedent that released someone from GOR without a huge settlement payment.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
ND's admission into the conference would be the one thing that would solidify the ACC. But if they sign a contract anywhere near the ballpark figures reportedly considered, the ACC will be hard pressed to compete, unfortunately:

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/football/notre-dame-football-and-the-pursuit-of-its-next-tv-contract-stires
"Sources have recently indicated to Irish Breakdown that the $60 million figure is a realistic number to expect from the new deal."
Well, that would mainly be up to ESPN. It remains to be seen if NBC is willing to put up that much cash. I did read on an ND fan site this morning that they feel NBC has disrespected them by assigning less than top tier broadcast talent to their games.

I wonder tho' - all these schools pushing for uneven distribution; how would they feel about paying ND more than one share to get them into full membership? I'm guessing the tune would change...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, that would mainly be up to ESPN. It remains to be seen if NBC is willing to put up that much cash. I did read on an ND fan site this morning that they feel NBC has disrespected them by assigning less than top tier broadcast talent to their games.

I wonder tho' - all these schools pushing for uneven distribution; how would they feel about paying ND more than one share to get them into full membership? I'm guessing the tune would change...
Paying ND extra $$ in the short to mid-term would make a helluvalot more sense than giving extra $$ to FSU. One would save our conference, and the other would destroy it.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Some of you that have issues with the Atlantic Coast Conference including Stanford, Cal or SMU are going to be stunned to learn where Louisville and Pittsburgh are not located.

The Big 12 and Big Ten have blown right past 12 and 10 members respectively and the SEC (which maybe ought to just be “SC” since it’s not “South Eastern Conference”) is in the southwest and Midwest.
It seems that the only “traditions” we cling to are the ones that make the least sense. :D
The PAC 10 is the only one with enough self awareness to change to PAC 12.... and look where that got them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Here is some data to chew on.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Dang, that’s over $10 million per home game. I don’t see how that could make NBC any money
Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame’s AD is retiring and will be replaced by Pete Bevacqua, chairman of NBC Sports. I'm sure he will have a plan in place to negotiate a media deal. But ... he has no other experience as an AD. Zero.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Some of you that have issues with the Atlantic Coast Conference including Stanford, Cal or SMU are going to be stunned to learn where Louisville and Pittsburgh are not located.
It's an easy hide, nobody goes to those places intentionally....
confused disney animation GIF

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't say it didn't. What I said was that the ACC did not throw Tech a lifeline as if we were the only one to gain a benefit. The ACC BENEFITTED financially by adding Tech and it made sen to the se to do so. Especially considering that it had lost South Carolina and schools in those days relied more on gate receipts than TV revenue.

I can't say how much joining the ACC or the hiring of Homer Rice helped GT the most, but I know the program was in terrible shape in 1980. I talked to Larry Travis after a football
picture day who told me that the GTAA was almost broke. During the 16-year period from 1964 to 1980 we had gone from #3 in total wins in the SEC (only behind Alabama and Tenn}
to the situation described in Homer's book, "Lessons for Leaders". See attachment. I do think we should be thankful to the ACC for having a place for GT when we fell on hard times.

Attachments

• Lessons for Leaders.pdf
    594.1 KB · Views: 25

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Paying ND extra $$ in the short to mid-term would make a helluvalot more sense than giving extra $$ to FSU. One would save our conference, and the other would destroy it.
Absolutely. Give ND 2 shares if we must. It would make ACC equal to sec and big. Make the term in years to NBC contract

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Accordi g to this, Stanford may be willing to join for free. This is turning into a dumpster fire. I never took any geography courses, but I guess the Atlantic Coast can extend to California?
... It might depend on how the Pacific Ocean chooses to identify itself on game days, maybe it wants to be called Atlantic... (I should not have, but did...)