Conference Realignment

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. Give ND 2 shares if we must. It would make ACC equal to sec and big. Make the term in years to NBC contract
I would think something could be worked out between the ACC, NBC, and ESPN.
Possibly a left coast time slot every Saturday night, ESPN gets all the ND away games and maybe an ACC game every year at the Benz. Lots of creative stuff could be done.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, Pennsylvania is about 25 miles up the Delaware River from the Delaware Bay, which is part of the Atlantic Ocean...Pennsylvania's about 20 miles up the Susquehanna River from the Chesapeake Bay, which is part of the Atlantic Ocean. I could squint and see a connection. Kentucky...not so much.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but the ACC is the chards left of the Southern Conference after a bunch of teams split to form the SEC. Perhaps the ACC should rebrand?

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe this has already been discussed and I missed it, but who are the 4 schools voting against adding these 3 schools. I have been keeping up with most of the pros and cons of expanding west, but it seems to me the ACC has to expand and those 3 seem like very good choices. If travel is a main concern, it seems like it will be much harder on the west coasters than for the existing members in all cases. It looks to me like we expand now or begin to shrivel up quite soon.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here is some data to chew on.

I've looked at this before and it is really helpful.

The biggest takeaway from this is your viewership numbers are highly correlated to what time slot and what network you are on.
For example. FSU has the 2 highest rated regular season games in the ACC, but one is a 7:30 pm ABC game against Florida for Rivals week and the other is a 7:30 PM game against LSU in Week One where there is no other game on. Games in Wk 1 and Wk 13 draw naturally higher shares than other weeks.

The more instructive comparison may be the Clemson-FSU game in WK 7 that was a 7:30 pm ABC game that drew 3.38M viewers. Compare that to a 7:30 pm ABC game in Wk 5 between Clemson and NCST that draw 4.96M viewers. Heck a Clemson-Syracuse game in WK 8 that was a 12 pm game on ABC drew 4.75M viewers. All those games suggest that a significant portion of FSU's numbers are driven not by FSU, but by their opponent.

If you have a game that is in a 3:30 to 7:30 slot on either a network or ESPN - you are going to draw a much larger audience than if you are in a 12 pm slot or late night slot on a non-linear channel.

It's a little of a chicken vs an egg argument. Is FSU getting higher ratings because it is in better slots or is it in those slots because it generates higher ratings? If FSU was given the same slots as GT how much more viewership would it get? I think it would get more, but not near what it gets because of the slot differences. FWIW, that sort of plays for GT to. GT has a WK 1 game that is generally its highest watched game of the year (and was really high this year because it was Clemson) and its game against UGA is usually its second highest game. Without those 2 games GT's numbers would look very different.

I'll also add that Stanford pulls in pretty decent numbers given it is often in a 10:30 or 11 pm slot on ESPN or FS1. Three times it pulled in more than a million viewers in that slot. Purely my opinion but I think it would consistently rank in the top 1/2 of ACC teams in terms of viewership if it played in a better time slot.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
I've looked at this before and it is really helpful.

The biggest takeaway from this is your viewership numbers are highly correlated to what time slot and what network you are on.
For example. FSU has the 2 highest rated regular season games in the ACC, but one is a 7:30 pm ABC game against Florida for Rivals week and the other is a 7:30 PM game against LSU in Week One where there is no other game on. Games in Wk 1 and Wk 13 draw naturally higher shares than other weeks.

The more instructive comparison may be the Clemson-FSU game in WK 7 that was a 7:30 pm ABC game that drew 3.38M viewers. Compare that to a 7:30 pm ABC game in Wk 5 between Clemson and NCST that draw 4.96M viewers. Heck a Clemson-Syracuse game in WK 8 that was a 12 pm game on ABC drew 4.75M viewers. All those games suggest that a significant portion of FSU's numbers are driven not by FSU, but by their opponent.

If you have a game that is in a 3:30 to 7:30 slot on either a network or ESPN - you are going to draw a much larger audience than if you are in a 12 pm slot or late night slot on a non-linear channel.

It's a little of a chicken vs an egg argument. Is FSU getting higher ratings because it is in better slots or is it in those slots because it generates higher ratings? If FSU was given the same slots as GT how much more viewership would it get? I think it would get more, but not near what it gets because of the slot differences. FWIW, that sort of plays for GT to. GT has a WK 1 game that is generally its highest watched game of the year (and was really high this year because it was Clemson) and its game against UGA is usually its second highest game. Without those 2 games GT's numbers would look very different.

I'll also add that Stanford pulls in pretty decent numbers given it is often in a 10:30 or 11 pm slot on ESPN or FS1. Three times it pulled in more than a million viewers in that slot. Purely my opinion but I think it would consistently rank in the top 1/2 of ACC teams in terms of viewership if it played in a better time slot.
I am surprised how large the audiences were for national noon games.