Conference Realignment

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Sources described ACC members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Louisville as among the most vocal in advocating for the Cardinal and Golden Bears to join the league. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has been leading the discussion, presenting financial and scheduling scenarios to the league members.
Wouldn't it be funny to see the Big10 come out and say after the GOR they are going to add: ND, Pitt, GT, and Louisville

oh and go eat Sh*t FSU, Clemson. NC, and NC state.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don’t why B1G doesn’t just take Stanford, Cal and the others. At this point they could expect to negotiate a lower revenue share, then they’ll have a full Western division, those schools can still play each other for most of their games + 2 against tradition B1G schools. Same with other sports to have more west coast teams to play.
I wish our western division was not so far west. NOW we have some long North South flights. If we added 2 good football schools ( Uof H and SMU to gt, FSU, Vt, WF, clemson , travel about the same and we get very good TV ratings great recruiting.and lots of gt alumni

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been saying we needed to add Navy for years. Makes a ton of sense in luring Notre Dame in.

Definitely agree. Plus, I believe Jim Phillips should make a very public trip to the University of South Florida and discuss possible membership. USF has a large undergraduate population.

Plus, they are pretty Big in Research. Also, they are AAU which FSU is not! 1500 acre campus in Tampa. I believe the USF Football program would grow if they joined the ACC.

Obviously, they have a stadium they can grow in. Media attraction should be good in Tampa--Sarasota--Orlando.

Any objections from FSU. Vote right over them.

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Definitely agree. Plus, I believe Jim Phillips should make a very public trip to South Florida University and discuss possible membership. SFU has a large undergraduate population.

Plus, they are pretty Big in Research. Also, they are AAU which FSU is not! 1500 acre campus in Tampa. I believe the SFU Football program would grow if they joined the ACC.

Obviously, they have a stadium they can grow in. Media attraction should be good in Tampa--Sarasota--Orlando.

Any objections from FSU. Vote right over them.

You mean USF?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I Saw David Teel's suggestion on the ACC network yesterday which sounded logical: Add NAVY, Stanford, and Cal which would add two of Notre Dame's "must have" opponents.

This would move ND to 7 ACC games (5 current contracted games plus Navy and Stanford). Use the 7 games as leverage to bring ND into league as the 18th member. ND would only be one game short of the current 8 game ACC schedule.

Of course, we might need to go to 9 conference games if we have 18 teams. ND would still only be two games short of a full ACC schedule.
I like that plan.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Good article, and addresses an issue that seems to be lost in all the furor about which schools the ACC will add, which ones will leave, etc. If we become a conference that covers 4 time zones, and if I’m a talented high school baseball or volleyball player — for example — for whom a college education is also important, then the ACC is less attractive to me. I can go to an SEC school where the travel is manageable and doesn’t force me to miss classes or sleep.

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes, he really said that. He also said in a university enrollment of 20,000 undergraduates, he wasn’t going to spend much, if any, time on the special needs of just 400-ish athletes.

(It was not part of how he was measured by the BOR nor how his compensation was determined.)
The weirdest part about all of that was that he played football at one of the Kansas schools.
Remember when people hoped that fact would mean that he would "get it"?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I've been saying we needed to add Navy for years. Makes a ton of sense in luring Notre Dame in.
Only downside is Notre Dame could then actually decrease the number of games they play against other ACC teams since Navy would then count as one of their 5 obligatory games (same with Stanford).

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Only downside is Notre Dame could then actually decrease the number of games they play against other ACC teams since Navy would then count as one of their 5 obligatory games (same with Stanford).

You may very well may be right, but I believe the ACC has some leverage.

Since ND strongly advocates for Stanford and Cal, ACC should say to ND as follows:

1. We will bring Cal, Sanford, and Navy into league. If you join the ACC as the 4th addition, these teams will be your 3 permanent opponents in the rotating schedule.
OR
2. We will bring Cal and Stanford into league. As you have contractually committed to 5 games on a rotating basis with the current members, you can play Cal and Stanford every 4 years.
on a rotating Basis. No taking 3 teams as rotators and picking only 2 to play every year. This would be totally unfair to all the other ACC teams and probably against the contract.

Just my opinion. None of this is likely to happen!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Long Term TV may evaluate

We been looking at travel to west schools.- cal and stanford. Both are long flight but near major airport and nesr giant market = LA and SF. But lots of pro sports and outdoor recreational opportunities.

Looking at WF, Duke, NCSt. In one hour driving u get to all three.

To me this very close proximity is a fatal flaw for at least one or 2 of these schools.
The nearest major airport is 2.5 hr drive to Charolette.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

We been looking at travel to west schools.- cal and stanford. Both are long flight but near major airport and nesr giant market = LA and SF. But lots of pro sports and outdoor recreational opportunities.

To me this very close proximity is a fatal flaw for at least one or 2 of these schools.
Both are in the Bay Area.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Stanford would be a San Jose flight. Still a big market.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Saw one of the alignment talking heads say the two most desirable schools for the acquirer's are UNC and ND, think I have to believe that also. Next tier IMO would be GT and Miami for the BIG, not sure for the SEC. It seems to me that VT and NC State are more desirable to the SEC than either Clemson or FSU, that would be new eyes the SEC doesn't presently have. They already have FL and SC. This is a little bit of a switch for me, I previously thought the SEC would want all 4 of Clemson, FSU, NC ST., VT. For the ACC to continue on is just slow death IMO.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Saw one of the alignment talking heads say the two most desirable schools for the acquirer's are UNC and ND, think I have to believe that also. Next tier IMO would be GT and Miami for the BIG, not sure for the SEC. It seems to me that VT and NC State are more desirable to the SEC than either Clemson or FSU, that would be new eyes the SEC doesn't presently have. They already have FL and SC. This is a little bit of a switch for me, I previously thought the SEC would want all 4 of Clemson, FSU, NC ST., VT. For the ACC to continue on is just slow death IMO.
Meh.

The patient is alive and well. Vital signs are stable. Rumors of imminent death are greatly exaggerated.

Texas hasn’t even played in the SEC and there is already talk of them going independent. Other than money, will UNC get anything out of moving? NC State? I doubt it. They will trade power and influence for … anonymity. Ask Maryland.

I‘m inclined to wait. The absolute best thing Tech can do is win games, pay down debt, and see what shakes out.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I've no clue who this person is, but I'm pretty sure that most university athletic departments are incorporated separately from the school. I'm not sure how he thinks that this will allow F$U to squirm out of the GOR...

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
They will trade power and influence for … anonymity. Ask Maryland.
Penguin What GIF by Pudgy Penguins

I've never watched another Maryland event since they left. Props for the crabcakes still though.