Conference Realignment

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I Saw David Teel's suggestion on the ACC network yesterday which sounded logical: Add NAVY, Stanford, and Cal which would add two of Notre Dame's "must have" opponents.

This would move ND to 7 ACC games (5 current contracted games plus Navy and Stanford). Use the 7 games as leverage to bring ND into league as the 18th member. ND would only be one game short of the current 8 game ACC schedule.

Of course, we might need to go to 9 conference games if we have 18 teams. ND would still only be two games short of a full ACC schedule.

slugboy

Staff member
For the life if me, I cannot fathom why N C State and UNC would object to Cal & Stanford. Unless they are in FSU's camp for uneven revenue distribution and this is payback for not getting their way.

Seems childish to me.
Possibly they don’t want their soccer and lacrosse teams to deal with cross country travel.

Stanford has a ton of sports. They may make more in sports revenue than any of our schools. They also spend more.

ETA: Adding Stanford and Cal should help stabilize the league. It’s not absolute, but no league’s stability is. It buys time for everyone. Four teams are destabilizing their own conference.
My big question is, why is NCST one of them?

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Until we hear something from one of the four about their reasons for opposing expansion, it's just speculation. My guess, and that's all it is, UNC and NC State still kinda think the conference as their baby. We all resist letting go of our children. UNC could also think Stanford would steal the Tarheel dominance in non-revenue sports.

FSU and Clemson are probably just grumpy they are not perceived as being special by the SEC. And the GOR road block keeps them from demonstrating their specialness.

I have a gut feeling some back room negotiating is happening this weekend. This may be the last chance to add quality programs to the conference. Maybe it could even temp ND.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Adding more schools with (currently, at least) demonstrably nowhere else to go would make a future blow-it-all-up vote harder for an FSU or Clemson, so that’s my guess for them. Even if that’s a five, ten year from now thing.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
For the life if me, I cannot fathom why N C State and UNC would object to Cal & Stanford. Unless they are in FSU's camp for uneven revenue distribution and this is payback for not getting their way.

Seems childish to me.
UNC gets Public Ivy status revoked for rejecting Cal and Stanford IMO.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
However this finally ends up, there will be major work for whatever PR firm has to spin this into a spectacular success that improves the ACC product / teams.

Both the B1G and the SEC had a much easier narrative when they came out of their conference shakeups.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
However this finally ends up, there will be major work for whatever PR firm has to spin this into a spectacular success that improves the ACC product / teams.

Both the B1G and the SEC had a much easier narrative when they came out of their conference shakeups.
There are always people who resist change. Even when it's needed most. They will grumble and whine for a while no matter what happens. The ACC can weather the storm. Good PR can help, but quality sports competition among the members is the answer.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are always people who resist change. Even when it's needed most. They will grumble and whine for a while no matter what happens. The ACC can weather the storm. Good PR can help, but quality sports competition among the members is the answer.
I’m just talking about the PR rollout when the smoke clears. If that is done well, the damage will be minimal, talking-head takes and publicity will be more positive, recruiting will not be impacted, and programs can be stabilized.

If it is not done well, the narrative of the ACC being unstable will be reinforced and the climb back to respectability will be steeper.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

If the ACC adds teams, the move will be judged on one thing - did the additions include Notre Dame? If so, it was a successful move. And if not, we're just spinning our wheels.

As for FSU, they're not going anywhere.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Is the "8 teams vote to dissolve the GOR & ACC" say just 8, or does it say half the conference plus 1? If 8, by adding more teams it would make overriding the GOR easier.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC adds teams, the move will be judged on one thing - did the additions include Notre Dame? If so, it was a successful move. And if not, we're just spinning our wheels.

As for FSU, they're not going anywhere.
Yeah, Notre Dame joining a conference, if and when that happens, will be historic. In terms of the end of an era, or the end of a tradition, it will be on par with the dismantling / restructuring of the PAC conference.

That would take very little spin and the story would sell itself.

Anything less would require some heavy lifting to control the narrative.

People may think I’m being hysterical. This is not an emotional response on my part. NIL is based heavily on perception of worth. Even when buying stocks there is big element of worth being related to perceptions carried by a majority of investors. Investments related to NIL have far less technical data to go on and are based in large part on public image and perception.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Is the "8 teams vote to dissolve the GOR & ACC" say just 8, or does it say half the conference plus 1? If 8, by adding more teams it would make overriding the GOR easier.
We need 12 votes (that we can’t get) to add a member but only 8 to blow up the conference?
That’s all internet fantasy from FSU fans.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
People may think I’m being hysterical. This is not an emotional response on my part. NIL is based heavily on perception of worth. Investments related to NIL have far less technical data to go on and are based in large part on public image and perception.
I’ve long concluded that NIL has nothing to do with the kid — if thats where your head — but rather association with the institution/school. And perhaps a do-anything-to-win thinking. To your point.. it’s still about perception of value — and these big NIL people might value then win more than a return on investment — but an investment/partnership with the school is a good strategy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I Saw David Teel's suggestion on the ACC network yesterday which sounded logical: Add NAVY, Stanford, and Cal which would add two of Notre Dame's "must have" opponents.

This would move ND to 7 ACC games (5 current contracted games plus Navy and Stanford). Use the 7 games as leverage to bring ND into league as the 18th member. ND would only be one game short of the current 8 game ACC schedule.

Of course, we might need to go to 9 conference games if we have 18 teams. ND would still only be two games short of a full ACC schedule.

I've been saying we needed to add Navy for years. Makes a ton of sense in luring Notre Dame in.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t why B1G doesn’t just take Stanford, Cal and the others. At this point they could expect to negotiate a lower revenue share, then they’ll have a full Western division, those schools can still play each other for most of their games + 2 against tradition B1G schools. Same with other sports to have more west coast teams to play.