Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
did he really say that? His other responsibility was to assure ethical behavior of his senior staffers - he didn't do that. I blame him for some of our current issues. I think the new President is doing a good job.
Yes, he really said that. He also said in a university enrollment of 20,000 undergraduates, he wasn’t going to spend much, if any, time on the special needs of just 400-ish athletes.

(It was not part of how he was measured by the BOR nor how his compensation was determined.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Very likely.It won't be tomorrow but we will be 2nd tier in money ---and therefore status.
And in second tier since we will loose many millions in tv money and since we have a debt ( 12 mill interest and say 12 mill in principal) that the rest of conference doesn't have , we will be bottom feeders due to lack of resources.

TF prez knew these numbers.
TF great football school is in Patriot Conference.
Alumni Homecoming fund raising will drop.

Last edited:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m sure there are lots of back door negotiations going on between NBC, ACC, and ESPN. NBC has a vested interest in ND‘s schedule, ESPN wants the Bay Area and Dallas/Ft Worth, and the ACC wants more money. I personally don’t see the sky falling. We’re the only conference with a long term contract. And if somehow this gets us ND, win, win.
My feelings exactly Oldgold.....

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
One of their big problems is their 7PM Pacific Time games were not realistic for 70%+ of the US market because of time differences. That means less eyeballs and lower ad rates.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have a STRONG suspicion that FSU and Clemson told the ACC to pound sand unless the GOR gets worked out so they can leave...if not tomorrow, then a LOT sooner than 2036.

The two members of the disintegrating Pac-12 need 12 of the 15 members of the ACC to support their move. Four schools stood opposed when the issue was discussed Wednesday night, sources say: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State. Lacking the requisite numbers, sources say it is unlikely that the potential expansion of the league will be put to a formal vote.

Sources described ACC members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Louisville as among the most vocal in advocating for the Cardinal and Golden Bears to join the league. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has been leading the discussion, presenting financial and scheduling scenarios to the league members.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a STRONG suspicion that FSU and Clemson told the ACC to pound sand unless the GOR gets worked out so they can leave...if not tomorrow, then a LOT sooner than 2036.

The two members of the disintegrating Pac-12 need 12 of the 15 members of the ACC to support their move. Four schools stood opposed when the issue was discussed Wednesday night, sources say: Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and North Carolina State. Lacking the requisite numbers, sources say it is unlikely that the potential expansion of the league will be put to a formal vote.

Sources described ACC members Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech and Louisville as among the most vocal in advocating for the Cardinal and Golden Bears to join the league. ACC commissioner Jim Phillips has been leading the discussion, presenting financial and scheduling scenarios to the league members.

One article quoted Mountain West Commissioner as saying that if Stanford and Cal were to go independent, MW would take their Olympic sports. What if they joined the ACC in Football only, would MW still make that deal. This would say the distance problem for all the Olympic Sports. I suppose we would like the Basketball as well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Asked for more way than they were worth and got left behind...
ESPN proposed for paying the conference up to $30 million per school and included all of its media rights, including the Pac-12 Network... membership, felt they could get more and advised commissioner George Kliavkoff to ask the network for $50 million per school. ESPN's response to that counter-offer? "Goodbye."
Apple offered $25M...

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

My question is that if it’s true that we are one of the ones pushing hard to have them added, does this mean that ADJB and Pres. Cabrera believe in the ACC’s viability long term? Are they not looking towards the B1G? Have they fully committed to sticking with the ACC?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My question is that if it’s true that we are one of the ones pushing hard to have them added, does this mean that ADJB and Pres. Cabrera believe in the ACC’s viability long term? Are they not looking towards the B1G? Have they fully committed to sticking with the ACC?
I don't know that any of the reports about who is doing what are actually true. Even if GT is pushing to add Stanford and Cal, it doesn't mean anything about GT's long term plans. It is very unlikely that anyone is getting out of the ACC for at least 6-8 years from now. Making a move to add some teams now won't have any impact on the ability or lack of ability to move in 8 years.

EDIT: However, there are going to be many people who use the non-confirmed reports as absolute proof of whatever they believe, whether it actually makes logical sense or not.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Asked for more way than they were worth and got left behind...
ESPN proposed for paying the conference up to $30 million per school and included all of its media rights, including the Pac-12 Network... membership, felt they could get more and advised commissioner George Kliavkoff to ask the network for $50 million per school. ESPN's response to that counter-offer? "Goodbye."
Apple offered $25M...

I pointed this out: ESPN will pay over $31+ Million to former PAC12 schools Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado in the Big 12. FOX will reportedly pay Washington and Oregon up to $40+ million in the B1G.

ESPN and Fox wouldn't pay the PAC12 $30 million for each team to keep the PAC12 together, BUT they'll pay more for each those teams in another conference? Let's think about the implications of that. Consolidation of conferences, and investing MORE in conferences with strategic value. PAC12 no longer had strategic value for FOX/ESPN/NBC/CBS/etc. At some point, networks realized conferences were just content, and the bigger conference across multiple time zones meant they could get the same content and NOT have to spread a lot of money across different conferences. Cue the B1G, SEC (kinda), and BIG12 who are all in at least 3 time zones.

This does not bode well for the Group of 5 conferences, and probably the ACC once the GOR expires.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I think Stanford/Cal and SMU add some kind of incremental value to the ACC's bottom line. There's a Yahoo write up about this...those teams aren't financial homerun adds, but the math according to market size and carriage fees they would bring to the ACC makes sense. IF anything, I think GT is trying to make the best of the situation while they're still locked in with the ACC's GOR. As opposed to FSU/Clemson/UNC who think of themselves as "national" level brands, who are all making the ACC's life REALLY hard so they can get out of the GOR. It's like being in a marriage with a rock solid prenup and one spouse is trying to get out. If you file for divorce, you lose according to the prenup. However, if you can make the other person's life miserable so they file for divorce, you stand to gain something. I think FSU/Clemson/UNC are probably going to try to make ACC life miserable any way they can until they get out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Just because Clemson and FSU voted “no” doesn’t necessarily mean that those voting “yes” have different outlook/ plans. Honestly, I would think that schools wanting a way out would benefit more from churning membership than the status quo.
I am sure there are schools holding votes they perceive can be used as a bargaining chip, but the fact of the matter is that we’re all here for 10 years +/- and if it makes sense now, I don’t see how it has much bearing on where everyone goes ultimately.
As a hedge, I certainly believe that GT would prefer to “rebuild” an ACC with partner schools like Stanford and Cal rather than move to the Big 12... just my gut.