Conference Realignment

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about adding teams to the ACC The AD's vote no but the presidents vote yes which vote rules
Just making light of the fact that the AD's at some schools seem to have more say in athletic matters than the presidents. I think in many cases the AD directs the presidents vote.
When UNC got caught in their fake AFAM classes, the president at UNC at the time admitted that he did not have time for running the athletic decisions and left it to the AD. It cost him his job. We are fortunate that Cabrera is involved with both academics and athletics. When I had a chance a few weeks ago to talk with Cabrera he mentioned he had just voted with the other presidents on revenue apportionment. The presidents do the actual voting.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
They had a vote in the payout apportionment vote. Not sure why they are given special treatment. They are their own football conference of one team.
ACC:
1691683684006.gif

ESPN:
1691683725891.gif

ND:
1691683764593.gif

ESPN / ACC:
1691683812942.gif

ND to ACC:
1691683846698.gif

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
If only the ACC would have just grabbed UCLA/USC with Stanford, Oregon, and Washington before the B1G to get more ACC Network money out west............ now we have to look at Cal and SMU and other nonsense. None of this matters unless Notre Dame joins full time.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Got bored, did some rough math on what streaming prices would need to look like to replace cable TV money.

Let's say 16 teams in a conference. Subscribing annually (if you do it monthly it gets more complicated since so many people would quit over the spring and summer). Let's say 20M people who will sign up for this annual plan. You want to disburse 50M to each of the 16 teams = $800,000,000 total a year. That would be $40 a year for a subscription, for 20M subscribers for a single conference. If you can make up a big chunk with advertising too it can get cheaper and/or more lucrative.

That sounds... doable? On average each team only needs to be pulling in a bit over a million subscribers a year? Wonder if you can figure out a way to make it part of a tax deductible donation to a school's AA?

Oversimplified of course... long term the user would want more teams/games for not a lot more money, whereas some conferences and teams are gonna want big slices...

GeorgiaTex

Georgia Tech Fan
If only the ACC would have just grabbed UCLA/USC with Stanford, Oregon, and Washington before the B1G to get more ACC Network money out west............ now we have to look at Cal and SMU and other nonsense. None of this matters unless Notre Dame joins full time.
Agree, time for the Irish to put up or shut up.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wrote about conferences going direct to consumers years ago. This is the future for the B1G Network and the SEC network.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting comment regarding ESPN.

I've said it a few times, networks not "willing" to pay is more a function of consolidating costs than not wanting to pay for sports content. ESPN will have the PAC12 off the books in 2024, a reduced Big 12 media deal, and a more powerful SEC brand with Texas and OU in the conference. They're saving themselves BILLIONS of dollars, but still getting coast to coast content that fills all 4 times slots across the US. Networks like ESPN/FOX/NBC are still going to broadcast the same rotations of teams...now the concentration of teams that are actually pulling in eyeballs are in fewer conferences, and networks don't have to spread their money across multiple conferences to gain different sets of eyeballs in different time zones.

Sports is one of the most lucrative ad revenue generators, and has the most loyal "customers" in sports fans. That money isn't going anywhere. However, if you a smaller conference (or the ACC), the clock is ticking for you. The networks that were bidding up media contracts of smaller conferences to get content to fill up their time slots will disappear the next time around. All that money will get consolidated to fewer conferences. The rich (B1G and SEC) will get MUCH richer, while the poor (everyone else) will get a LOT poorer or cease to exist (Hi, PAC12).

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting comment regarding ESPN.

I've said it a few times, networks not "willing" to pay is more a function of consolidating costs than not wanting to pay for sports content. ESPN will have the PAC12 off the books in 2024, a reduced Big 12 media deal, and a more powerful SEC brand with Texas and OU in the conference. They're saving themselves BILLIONS of dollars, but still getting coast to coast content that fills all 4 times slots across the US. Networks like ESPN/FOX/NBC are still going to broadcast the same rotations of teams...now the concentration of teams that are actually pulling in eyeballs are in fewer conferences, and networks don't have to spread their money across multiple conferences to gain different sets of eyeballs in different time zones.

Sports is one of the most lucrative ad revenue generators, and has the most loyal "customers" in sports fans. That money isn't going anywhere. However, if you a smaller conference (or the ACC), the clock is ticking for you. The networks that were bidding up media contracts of smaller conferences to get content to fill up their time slots will disappear the next time around. All that money will get consolidated to fewer conferences. The rich (B1G and SEC) will get MUCH richer, while the poor (everyone else) will get a LOT poorer or cease to exist (Hi, PAC12).

10%?
Inflation?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
LHN had a lot to do with why A&M left though, right? Texas forcing stuff down people’s throats? Can’t see the SEC wanting to have that going on.

Looks like it’s going away.

And Nebraska, and Colorado.

Texas has been a cancer in whatever conference it finds itself. It has an overinflated view of itself, and doesn't care if it screws over the other teams in its conference. When I saw they were going to the SEC, I thought "Oh, this will be fun." Texas is still gonna Texas - but they may lay low for a few years before they start pulling their sh!t again.

Come to think of it, this recent situation with Free Shoes U kinda reminds me of the way I saw the whole Texas thing play out. A school with a wildly inflated view of itself, trying to throw its weight around. Problem being, as with Texas, the media may support them on it (as so many in the media continually go on about how good FSU is - even for the past 5-6 years, the pre-season pundits have always favored them. I guess if you say it enough, it's true?) Texas got its own network - no telling what FSU will get. (Aside from the ability to block any vote to expand the ACC and make it more stable, if they don't extort something egregious for it.)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just making light of the fact that the AD's at some schools seem to have more say in athletic matters than the presidents. I think in many cases the AD directs the presidents vote.
When UNC got caught in their fake AFAM classes, the president at UNC at the time admitted that he did not have time for running the athletic decisions and left it to the AD. It cost him his job. We are fortunate that Cabrera is involved with both academics and athletics. When I had a chance a few weeks ago to talk with Cabrera he mentioned he had just voted with the other presidents on revenue apportionment. The presidents do the actual voting.
Bud Peterson famously said, his ONLY responsibility to GT athletics was to hire the AD.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sure there are lots of back door negotiations going on between NBC, ACC, and ESPN. NBC has a vested interest in ND‘s schedule, ESPN wants the Bay Area and Dallas/Ft Worth, and the ACC wants more money. I personally don’t see the sky falling. We’re the only conference with a long term contract. And if somehow this gets us ND, win, win.

This is surely the most reasonable and sane statement I’ve heard today (amid complete insanity in the office). As if Tech would completely implode receiving >only< $35M or $40M on a TV deal while other conference get $50M.

(that said.. would greatly prefer B1G)

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bud Peterson famously said, his ONLY responsibility to GT athletics was to hire the AD.
did he really say that? His other responsibility was to assure ethical behavior of his senior staffers - he didn't do that. I blame him for some of our current issues. I think the new President is doing a good job.