Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know of three for sure…

FSU is holding out any vote for release from the GOR… Duh.

I’m hearing that the Jesuits strenuously object to including the Methodists.

I also heard the Louisville president state that the Cardinals feel that THE CARDINAL is not very inclusive, and they won’t tolerate it.
Yeah, these definitely ought to be true.

Hope others will keep this going.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have now discovered the fourth. In a statement, Syracuse president stated that they find the nickname Golden Bears offensive toward bears of other colors. They would recommend Cal for inclusion if they change their nickname to “The Golden.”
Miami says they will still stand in the way of Cal admission due to not fitting in -unconfirmed reports, something about Miami’s cocaine and uppers culture vs Cal’s weed and mescaline culture.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don’t trust ND. Their new AD is Pete Bevacqua, former NBC Sports Group chief. How easy is it to tell the ACC, “Add our favorite rivals and watch us renegotiate our deal with NBC.”

This is now no more than a battle for programming content. In the end, ESPN, Fox or NBC will tell Tech and the ACC how they should organize. It is clearly NOT in the interests of schools. It’s a race for money.

If ND is dictating ACC's membership, then the ACC has bigger issues.

slugboy

Staff member
IMO, that encapsulates why the ACC is doomed. Leadership is slow to react, and when they do react, it's for outdated reasons.

Can't wait for the "How the once mighty ACC died" 30 for 30 on ESPN in 2037.
30 for 30 costs money to produce. It’ll be gone way before 2037.

Stanford, Cal, and SMU either are smart moves for the conference or they aren’t. Write up the pros and cons and vote.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

1691674130113.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
30 for 30 costs money to produce. It’ll be gone way before 2037.

Stanford, Cal, and SMU either are smart moves for the conference or they aren’t. Write up the pros and cons and vote.

PAC12 is off of ESPN's books in 2024! Some of that money will go toward the demise of the ACC 30 for 30.

I'm kidding...kinda...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was talking about adding teams to the ACC The AD's vote no but the presidents vote yes which vote rules

I believe the university presidents have the ultimate say.

I've read and heard multiple people say Radakovich pushed REALLY hard for GT to leave for the B1G in 2012/13, but was overruled by Bud Peterson (and some big donors).

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
ND acts moralistic and charitable but what is first on their mind is Cal and Stanford are regularly on their schedule. If the caliber of the football at Cal and Stanford drop than the ratings for ND schedule drops. Hence their negotiation position with NBC drops.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure there are lots of back door negotiations going on between NBC, ACC, and ESPN. NBC has a vested interest in ND‘s schedule, ESPN wants the Bay Area and Dallas/Ft Worth, and the ACC wants more money. I personally don’t see the sky falling. We’re the only conference with a long term contract. And if somehow this gets us ND, win, win.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
ND should commit to be a full ACC member if we add Cal and Stanford. Anything less is a bad deal for the ACC.
Completely agree. I wonder if the issue with ND is exposure (having their own network deal), money (assuming they get NBC or whomever to pony up money more in line with SEC and Big Ten) or scheduling. If the ACC took in Cal and Stanford and assuming some number of permanent opponents (3 now) exist, ND could have Cal, Stanford and maybe Boston College? So let them keep their network deal, give them a much smaller pct. of ACC dollars (for other sports) and make them become a member of the ACC. I realize TX and the Longhorn Network caused all kind of issues. But in today's crazy climate, getting ND into the fold could solidify the ACC for the future.