Conference Realignment

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
I love how VT and UVA are in this so called magnificent 7. I really don’t see the draw of either of them? Especially VT.
UVA has the highest athletic revenues in the ACC (it’s very close to Clemson and FSU, so the actual ranks may fluctuate year to year).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I believe Stanford ends up in the B1G eventually...just as I thought Oregon and Washington would eventually would end up in the B1G. Oregon and Washington got pushed into the B1G a LOT sooner than the B1G wanted due to some tectonic shifts of the Big 12 expansion (and most likely the threat of Oregon and Washington being tied to the Big 12 for a long period), and FOX coming to the table to make it happen. Some didn't think Oregon and Washington would be invited to the B1G, but if you have national aspirations (like the B1G does), you don't leave those kinds of teams and those markets on the table. Oregon and Washington were willing to take a smaller distribution now knowing they'll get full distribution later (next media contract...similar to what happened with Maryland and Rutgers), and to be part of THE pre-eminent academic and athletic conference. Washington and Oregon are two of the most well funded programs in college sports, so taking a smaller distribution until the next contract isn't as disadvantageous as some are making it out to be. There's a LOT of tech and VC money that supports Washington and Oregon (Phil Knight!!!). Had it been a school like GT it would have been more of an issue.

If you don't get it yet, it's FOX and ESPN are pulling the strings here. B1G and SEC/Big12 is ultimately a proxy war between FOX and ESPN. FOX/B1G did not want ESPN (and Big 12) to tie up Oregon and Washington to the detriment of the overall national plans. Washington and Oregon had no other viable options than the Big12 until Fox and the B1G stepped up.

I would take the word of conference commissioners with a grain of salt. Remember when the B1G said they were "done" with expansion months ago? Well Oregon and Washington just happened. SEC commissioner just said they were done...that's more a function of availability than honesty. Outside of the ACC schools (untenable due to ACC's GOR), who's left to take? None of the remaining PAC12 schools fit in the SEC and wouldn't be additive to the SEC's distribution. Once the ACC GOR has expired or a school figures out a legal loophole, the B1G and SEC commissioners will both climb over each other to pick off ACC schools.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
So, who are the dissenting votes?

An interesting question.

Meme Think GIF

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Let’s make something up.

I bet there are some good guesses out there that, if not true, ought to be.
I know of three for sure…

FSU is holding out any vote for release from the GOR… Duh.

I’m hearing that the Jesuits strenuously object to including the Methodists.

I also heard the Louisville president state that the Cardinals feel that THE CARDINAL is not very inclusive, and they won’t tolerate it.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree with that. ND is saying we need to add Cal and Stanford, but they aren't fully invested in the ACC. Make them put their money where their mouth is.
I don’t trust ND. Their new AD is Pete Bevacqua, former NBC Sports Group chief. How easy is it to tell the ACC, “Add our favorite rivals and watch us renegotiate our deal with NBC.”

This is now no more than a battle for programming content. In the end, ESPN, Fox or NBC will tell Tech and the ACC how they should organize. It is clearly NOT in the interests of schools. It’s a race for money.