Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe soccer would be a good add for both men and women. Where would they train?

UNC has what looks like 4 full soccer fields directly in front of Carmichael. Lighted. I cannot imagine GT carving out something like that for a new program. There is precious little green space on campus now. Maybe they gobble up the rest of Home Park.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Maybe soccer would be a good add for both men and women. Where would they train?

UNC has what looks like 4 full soccer fields directly in front of Carmichael. Lighted. I cannot imagine GT carving out something like that for a new program. There is precious little green space on campus now. Maybe they gobble up the rest of Home Park.
BDS@HGF.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I could see each sport having to stand on it's own as the years move along. I do not see the NFL supporting other sports and I think CFB is headed to something similar. If you do not have successful FB program you could be removed from a conference which means you better do what it takes to be successful.. Already seeing signs of that coming, the U and S. FL building stadiums in order to get into the BIG it appears. The Vandys and MO of the CFB world could be eliminated from their conferences in the future., believe that is coming for some schools eventually. It will be survival of the fittest. Looks to me like the rural schools could be the most vulnerable, Ole Miss, Miss St, Ark, Clemson, FSU. OK, VT. just to name a few potential candidates. Many of those same schools could also be headed for down sizing or elimination as academic institutions. Education is headed for big change IMO.

slugboy

Staff member
Peter’s Park ;)

Unless we knock down some buildings, there’s not a lot of unallocated green space near campus. But there’s a Trap Music Museum and Jimmy Jam’s Kale Wrap restaurant. It would need some creativity.

IMG_0294.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Peter’s Park ;)

Unless we knock down some buildings, there’s not a lot of unallocated green space near campus. But there’s a Trap Music Museum and Jimmy Jam’s Kale Wrap restaurant. It would need some creativity.

View attachment 14423

My initial thought is reconfigure Burger Bowl or Stamps Field for soccer practice fields, and use Grant Field for just games.

Either those two or GT will just have to buy the Mercedes Benz Stadium from Blank.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On the subject of soccer (football) would a Tech team have to play on campus? Or could they use another pitch on another campus until they build an off campus sight. I’m speaking of within the city limits, not becoming like the Cobb County Braves.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
That field is generally in use during the soccer season.
Only one day a week is football required to be on the field with football lines painted. The turf is easily painted, washed, and repainted. That would be cheaper than buying/renting new land and transportation there and back. All the facilities for food, merch and call of nature are in place.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd hope we'd add wrestling as that is probably the 4th most popular sport in the BIG. Penn St revenue example

1686839314039.png

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
If Georgia Tech got a soccer or Wrestling program, all we would need to do is recruit the Atlanta Metro, and we would have top 15 programs.

The top 4 regions for developing soccer players are South Cal, Dallas, Atlant and Washington DC region.

But there are logistical programs, space issues as well as funding. But when I make my couple of billion dollars, I'll fund the soccer program.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
If Georgia Tech got a soccer or Wrestling program, all we would need to do is recruit the Atlanta Metro, and we would have top 15 programs.

The top 4 regions for developing soccer players are South Cal, Dallas, Atlant and Washington DC region.

But there are logistical programs, space issues as well as funding. But when I make my couple of billion dollars, I'll fund the soccer program.
Plz fix football first…

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Engineers - carve out
Deal makers - form a group say - Ga St, Emory, Gt , and Pro soceer team to share facikities.
Maybe approach ATL as a group to fund a joint use ATL soceer center.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's also not real grass. They would need to build a stadium in the Burger Bowl more than likely.
Who says it has to be on campus? As I recall, UT's golf program is 45 minutes from campus and many (if not all) of the students there never actually set foot on the main campus in Austin. Does Tech no longer have it's Savannah campus?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Who says it has to be on campus? As I recall, UT's golf program is 45 minutes from campus and many (if not all) of the students there never actually set foot on the main campus in Austin. Does Tech no longer have it's Savannah campus?

Atlanta United practice fields are 15-20 minutes up I-75 in Marietta. They're usually empty by the afternoon. I'm sure GT and Atlanta United could work something out for practices.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

You do realize there is a Title IX challenge adding any mens sport that has scholarships. Both soccer and wrestling have 9.9 scholarships per sport. To be competitive it takes a lot of money for sports that don’t generate revenue.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
You do realize there is a Title IX challenge adding any mens sport that has scholarships. Both soccer and wrestling have 9.9 scholarships per sport. To be competitive it takes a lot of money for sports that don’t generate revenue.

Such a good indication of our fan base, 33 minutes until somebody says it can't be done. Well done Tech fan. yes, title 9 is an obstacle, and yes I know our finance problems at Tech, my quote wasn't in anyway talking about the realistic feasibility of adding those programs, just the ease of which we could have quality if we did.

My post was about the quality of athletes in and around the Atlanta area.

You can go back to being negative now.