Conference Realignment

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's fairly aligned to my thoughts on them from before. Their features are usually good, but I find it frustrating that they continually push a "team-focused" app experience, then don't give much attention to my team.

Still, with the NY Times disbanding their sports section and moving all content to the Athletic, I'm hopeful they'll start broadening their coverage when given a few more resources.
In my opinion, we need to start winning and making some noise as at least a conference contender before I expect to see more coverage.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm kinda shocked that The Athletic is doing anything that features Tech. I canceled my subscription a year+ ago when they removed the dedicated GT writer, and all I could find on our team were offhand mentions in other teams' writeups.

Has it gotten any better, aside from this one series?

IMO, there's a huge gap between the REALLY good articles that focuses on reporting, and the everyday coverage.

It all depends if you want the Athletic for just GT or overall sports news.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
$$$ > keeping historical rivalries. I don't expect SEC will want GT back as we add no value to any media contract due to UGA already in the market, but these are definitely interesting words from SEC commissioner:

Interesting in the way he presented it and also interesting that he called up GT twice... Clemson mentioned once and FSU was absent.
HOWEVER, I think the overarching commentary was that the SEC was accommodating to scheduling out of conference rivalries and would continue to do so. In that context, the most obvious example of an out of conference rivalry was (and will continue to be) GT. Thats probably why we came to mind so readily.

Also good lip service for their mind boggling decision to stay at 8 conference games... being so accommodating to out of conference rivalries makes that decision a little less mind boggling.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know. But I’m sure they wouldn’t like it. The B1G is a powerhouse conference that the SEC would probably like to keep out of the neighborhood.
The B1G smack in the heart of the SEC would be a perpetual nuisance.
If Tech had a choice, which would it be? The AAU-rich B1G or rekindling the old SEC rivalries? I'd have to go with the SEC, warts and all. But I would be happy with either.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I go with the BIG, that's where the long term future lays IMO. I would love having USC, MI, WI, OSU, UCLA, possibly Stanford, OR, WA, ND etc. playing at BDS at Hyundai Field from time to time. Long term I see SEC having problems, obviously not in the next few years. I'm an old SEC guy, I understand how some feel about that, especially the older folk like myself.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I will be shocked to see us get an invite from the SEC, but keeping the Big Ten out of Atlanta may be what it takes. I would prefer that to joining schools with which we have no rivalries.
Stats for you. 5 teams in B1G we have never played and another 6 we’ve only played 1 time. So 11 out of 14 we have played 1 or 0 times. The other 3 teams are Michigan St which we own a 3-0 record, Maryland 15-6 record and Penn St at 3-4 record.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Stats for you. 5 teams in B1G we have never played and another 6 we’ve only played 1 time. So 11 out of 14 we have played 1 or 0 times. The other 3 teams are Michigan St which we own a 3-0 record, Maryland 15-6 record and Penn St at 3-4 record.
If we add PAC teams (both rumored and confirmed), USC is a 2-2 tie. Wash, Oregon, and UCLA have never played GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the SEC is a choice, but if it were, I would still go with the B1G. The B1G's vision is national, and if you look at the tea leaves, their future plans look to dwarf the SEC's aspirations. The SEC wants to maintain a regional stranglehold on the South and Southwest. That's fine, but one day the SEC won't be the "SEC" any longer. All things are cyclical, and the SEC will eventually lose it's place on the pedastal of college football. The SEC also has tied themselves to ESPN...and if you're paying attention, ESPN's footing looks to be shifting. Disney is looking to offload parts of ESPN...which there's a REALLY high probability that ESPN will be dismantled pretty soon to investors. That means cost cutting, spinning off/selling of divisions, etc. Good luck to the SEC if that's the case. Overleveraging to obtain media assets is what got Diamond/Bally into trouble.

I read somewhere that the ACC contract is actually more profitable for ESPN than the SEC. The SEC brings in more revenue, but the profit margin is much smaller than the ACC. That's not a situation I want GT to be a part of.

Some of our older Yellow Jackets family may be nostalgic to return to the SEC, but that would be a BAD move. Not only in terms of $$$, or the scenario outlined above, but the SEC has shown they're OK with members cannibalizing each other. In the end, the SEC will turn out to be its own worst enemy. The B1G has high standards in the classroom and on the field, and IMO, that's is in line with why Dodd left the SEC in the first place.

I believe in time, if GT joins the B1G, GT will return to a "Southern powerhouse" like back in Dodd and Heisman's era. When B1G teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, USC, UCLA, etc. come to BDS, we will again play in front of a packed stadium. When, not if, we start winning against those teams, elite athletes will want to stay home to play for GT against those teams as well.

Thomas Wolf wrote "You Can't Go Home Again." The themes in that book ring true for GT...GT would be wise to leave the SEC in the past and move onto to bigger and better things.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@Techster Also take into account that the university president is heavily involved in the decisions now. If there were a choice between the two conferences, both bring in a lot more money and both bring in a lot of athletic competition. Would Cabrera rather be in a conference that fans dry hump each others legs in bars discussing how great their teams are and shouting the name of the conference in a chant, or in a conference that shares athletic resources and pools together to gain an advantage in research? It appears to me that from an academic and research standpoint, the Big10 is at a much higher level than the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
@Techster Also take into account that the university president is heavily involved in the decisions now. If there were a choice between the two conferences, both bring in a lot more money and both bring in a lot of athletic competition. Would Cabrera rather be in a conference that fans dry hump each others legs in bars discussing how great their teams are and shouting the name of the conference in a chant, or in a conference that shares athletic resources and pools together to gain an advantage in research? It appears to me that from an academic and research standpoint, the Big10 is at a much higher level than the SEC.

You're 100% on the nose.

In the end conference affiliation goes beyond just sports for those who actually will make this decision. If you read between the lines with former President Peterson's AJC interview, academic relationships played a big role with GT not pursuing the B1G invite. Given that Cabrera wants the best of both worlds (elite academics AND elite athletics) I would wager that the B1G is the eventual target and not the SEC.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
All true. But in college football the SEC is not going anywhere because a much higher percentage of high level players come from the southern region and want the easiest academic route to the NFL. So, all this talk of the SEC eventually fading away and the BIG having some sort of plan to overtake them on the field is laughable. Research dollars do nothing for the product on the field as GT fans all know. The only way that happens is if some body puts in academic minimums/standards that are actually enforced. However we know in todays society that would never be allowed. Hence, the SEC in most low income communities is seen as the path to the NFL. As hard as Ohio State, Penn State (and you know Franklin is begging) and a few others try to convince a 5 star to come a thousand miles away in the cold they aren’t coming in sufficient numbers to overtake the southern teams. And the west coast nuts will eventually get football banned in their region anyway which is why Cali’s studs all leave the state. But I agree if academics are ever mixed back into college football then GT will be in a great position whether in the BIG or SEC.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing the "hill" would prefer the BIG, if for nothing else but the research $ that will be shared amongst the BIG schools. They will have a say I'm guessing. I as a fan want them behind our athletic program, I've watched and listened way too long their trashing the athletes and athletic program.