Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If there’s truly six schools already wanting out if I’m NCST and UVA and UL and Pitt I’m getting the Big 12 on the phone ASAP.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Idle thought: even if we get to a post-cable world where people subscribe to the Big10 directly, I think the Atlanta area has a lot of value to the conference just because it’s big and has a lot of alums.

Maybe GT isn’t the biggest fanbase to add, but the further any fan is from their school, the more likely they probably are to lose interest. So having some local games for the conference every year is probably a great way to keep those folks plugged in.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
For me it just seems clear that the BIG wants media mkts and Miami/Palm/Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/Sarasota (S. FL) are media mkts they want along with Atlanta (GT) and the state of NC. Given the choice of SEC or BIG, UNC definitely goes BIG and I'm not sure whether UVA is desirable for the BIG or not given they already have MD in the Baltimore/DC/North VA media mkt but I sort of think they do. FSU and Clemson end up in the SEC and I think SEC ends up taking VT and NCST. SEC would rather have those states than the Big 12 having them because that is where those two would end up if not in the SEC IMO. Some of the remaining end up in the Big 12, which ones I'm not sure but probably Pitt and Louisville for sure. That's 10 of the 14 ACC schools that end up in better financial situations than presently. Seems the big 12 schools get 44 mil/school and pretty quickly get to 50 mil I read somewhere recently. Do all the ACC schools get placed somewhere in a behind the scenes negotiations? I sort of think they do and maybe that is going on now. Obviously speculation on my part. ESPN also has $ tied up in this( ACC network and TV contract) and is in the middle of all this if it is going on.
If it is not going on we (conference schools) have a really big problem going forward for 13 years which is not news to any on here. It all gets down to the money as it always does.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This. If the $ec and BIG do this, the ACC is over and the remains will be Big12 or AAC
Thats what I think as well, if the desirable schools start locking up and announcing landing spots everyone left is going to be scrambling like hell and the dominos will fall quickly.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In my opinion, all it takes is one 8 or 9 win season and all of a sudden, GT to B1G doesn’t sound so crazy. We have a great history but the three 3 win seasons being so recent makes us seem weaker than we really are. String a couple good seasons together and people will forget the CGC era.

That's why the ultimate decision is up to the B1G university presidents and NOT fans. B1G is looking to the next 25-50+ years, not what's going to happen the next season. GT has a good football history. No, we're not UGA/'Bama/Ohio State/Clemson recently, but our body of work is consistent winning seasons with a special season every 4-5 years. If you put GT's winning percentage the 30 or so years up against all teams currently in the B1G and SEC, I'd be shocked if GT wasn't in the top half of both leagues. Let's not forget, 'Bama was struggling before Saban. Ohio State wasn't the juggernaut it is now before it hired Urban Meyer. Michigan was struggling before Harbaugh, and even a little bit with Harbaugh. Clemson'ing for a reason. UGA was a good program, but not an elite program before Smart.

Take sports out of it, and GT is EXACTLY what the B1G is looking for. A potentially HUGE growth market for the B1G, and an elite academic institution that shares the same DNA as their current members.

Personally, I think Key will get us to at minimum 6-8 wins every season. If you're not impressed with what he did last season, then you should really study corporate takeovers and see how hard it is to come in after someone is fired and turn the ship around. Key had to do it in an abbreviated amount of time. If Key gets us that 6-8 win season with the GT special season every 4-5 years of the next 5-10 years, NO ONE will question why the B1G is taking GT.

airspace

Georgia Tech Fan
That's why the ultimate decision is up to the B1G university presidents and NOT fans. B1G is looking to the next 25-50+ years, not what's going to happen the next season. GT has a good football history. No, we're not UGA/'Bama/Ohio State/Clemson recently, but our body of work is consistent winning seasons with a special season every 4-5 years. If you put GT's winning percentage the 30 or so years up against all teams currently in the B1G and SEC, I'd be shocked if GT wasn't in the top half of both leagues. Let's not forget, 'Bama was struggling before Saban. Ohio State wasn't the juggernaut it is now before it hired Urban Meyer. Michigan was struggling before Harbaugh, and even a little bit with Harbaugh. Clemson'ing for a reason. UGA was a good program, but not an elite program before Smart.

Take sports out of it, and GT is EXACTLY what the B1G is looking for. A potentially HUGE growth market for the B1G, and an elite academic institution that shares the same DNA as their current members.

Personally, I think Key will get us to at minimum 6-8 wins every season. If you're not impressed with what he did last season, then you should really study corporate takeovers and see how hard it is to come in after someone is fired and turn the ship around. Key had to do it in an abbreviated amount of time. If Key gets us that 6-8 win season with the GT special season every 4-5 years of the next 5-10 years, NO ONE will question why the B1G is taking GT.ied to do. Not ever
Techster, I agree will everything you said but the last part.

Having followed the Big Ten pretty much my entire life (50+ years - now 66). The Big Ten looks at what NOT you have done but what have you tried to do. Everything you may do, does not always works out (best laid plans).

I will give you 2 examples. Indiana is a basketball school. But back in the day, the Big Ten asked what Indiana was going to do about football. They were terrible (worse than what they have been over the last 40 years). They had a stadium that seated 20,000 people. They made a commitment and replaced the stadium with the current structure in 1960 (52,000 people). They were playing Ohio State and Michigan on the road more than at home. The Big Ten asked how IF they were going to make a commitment or not. Make an effort, and by 1967 they were playing USC in the Rose Bowl.

Another example is Northwestern. A founding member of the Big Ten. I recall in the 70's how they were an annual member of the Bottom 10 (College's worst teams). Over the years, Northwestern has had some good years where they have won the Big Ten west. They have been competitive most years. They have put the effort to improve themselves on the field and in facilities.

Over the years, the Big Ten has NEVER asked a member to leave. They have never kicked anyone out (except Michigan in the teens - another story). They just ask that their members make a commitment to compete. Look no further than Rutgers. Are you making the effort in coaches, facilities, student athletes, etc..

When the Big Ten reviews (vets) a program, they look at the entire university (athletics & academics). Are they a match, do they reflect the values the Big Ten cherishes. Would they be an asset, do they fit?

End of the day, I believe Georgia Tech fits. The key is, are they making the effort? Again, I would tell you, look no further than the efforts of Miami and FSU to improve their academics to make themselves more attractive to the Big Ten.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Techster, I agree will everything you said but the last part.

Having followed the Big Ten pretty much my entire life (50+ years - now 66). The Big Ten looks at what NOT you have done but what have you tried to do. Everything you may do, does not always works out (best laid plans).

I will give you 2 examples. Indiana is a basketball school. But back in the day, the Big Ten asked what Indiana was going to do about football. They were terrible (worse than what they have been over the last 40 years). They had a stadium that seated 20,000 people. They made a commitment and replaced the stadium with the current structure in 1960 (52,000 people). They were playing Ohio State and Michigan on the road more than at home. The Big Ten asked how IF they were going to make a commitment or not. Make an effort, and by 1967 they were playing USC in the Rose Bowl.

Another example is Northwestern. A founding member of the Big Ten. I recall in the 70's how they were an annual member of the Bottom 10 (College's worst teams). Over the years, Northwestern has had some good years where they have won the Big Ten west. They have been competitive most years. They have put the effort to improve themselves on the field and in facilities.

Over the years, the Big Ten has NEVER asked a member to leave. They have never kicked anyone out (except Michigan in the teens - another story). They just ask that their members make a commitment to compete. Look no further than Rutgers. Are you making the effort in coaches, facilities, student athletes, etc..

When the Big Ten reviews (vets) a program, they look at the entire university (athletics & academics). Are they a match, do they reflect the values the Big Ten cherishes. Would they be an asset, do they fit?

End of the day, I believe Georgia Tech fits. The key is, are they making the effort? Again, I would tell you, look no further than the efforts of Miami and FSU to improve their academics to make themselves more attractive to the Big Ten.

I agree with you 100%. It was kind of inherent to my statement that "I think Key will get us to at minimum 6-8 wins every season" that GT leadership is making moves to not only compete, but become a program that according Cabrera competes on an elite level to our academics. I also think that Batt and Cabrera cleaning the GTAA house, and replacing coaches of our flagship programs (FB and BB) in the same year speaks to the commitment the new leadership wants for GT Athletics.

The leadership now is what GT has been lacking for a long time. I have ZERO doubts if Cabrera and Batt were in charge a decade ago when the B1G invite was given to GT, GT would be in the B1G right now.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

Personally, I think Key will get us to at minimum 6-8 wins every season. If you're not impressed with what he did last season, then you should really study corporate takeovers and see how hard it is to come in after someone is fired and turn the ship around. Key had to do it in an abbreviated amount of time. If Key gets us that 6-8 win season with the GT special season every 4-5 years of the next 5-10 years, NO ONE will question why the B1G is taking GT.
I like this thinking as well as the fact that none of these big programs can fly direct on major carriers from (enter big 10 towns) to Tallahassee, Clemson, Durham, Chapel hill, Raleigh, Blacksburg, without flying through another major airport. When you play Georgia Tech you can potentially fly straight from Columbus, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Madison DIRECTLY into ATL. That’s a major plus for GT going forward. Costs of private direct flights will be astronomical.

Not to mention the transplant alumni bases. We love to crap on ourselves/fan base but we are poised to be a winner if we make the correct decisions.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If I'm reading some of the above correctly, IMO the biggest positive to happen to GTFB since the retirement of Dodd was the GT administration making a commitment to do whatever it takes to get GTFB to winning at the highest level. It takes leadership and maybe we finally have it in place.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If I'm reading some of the above correctly, IMO the biggest positive to happen to GTFB since the retirement of Dodd was the GT administration making a commitment to do whatever it takes to get GTFB to winning at the highest level. It takes leadership and maybe we finally have it in place.
Tech has everything the B1G wants except the winning and the fan base that comes with it. Imagine how much the B1G + Tech talk would heat up if the Jackets were to win the ACC this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I read the article below as to what has the Big Ten brought Rutgers after ten years. This stood out:

"Most of the outside focus on Rutgers joining the Big Ten centered on the costs associated with the move and the struggles most of its sports teams faced to compete initially, not on the ancillary benefits. Rutgers continues lose money on athletics — with no end in sight — and the high-profile football team has struggled mightily."

Rutgers maintains that the academic benefits of joining the Big Ten FAR outweigh just the athletics. But I wonder how many GT alumni interested in sports will support a conference that benefits the school and *may not* benefit athletics?

I have no opinion and don't really care if GT joins the Big or not. I don't think it will be a panacea for the sports teams, hence my interest in comparing how others have done since joining.

I like that Rutgers has lower donations and ticket sales than gt.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
For me it just seems clear that the BIG wants media mkts and Miami/Palm/Ft. Lauderdale and Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater/Sarasota (S. FL) are media mkts they want along with Atlanta (GT) and the state of NC. Given the choice of SEC or BIG, UNC definitely goes BIG and I'm not sure whether UVA is desirable for the BIG or not given they already have MD in the Baltimore/DC/North VA media mkt but I sort of think they do. FSU and Clemson end up in the SEC and I think SEC ends up taking VT and NCST. SEC would rather have those states than the Big 12 having them because that is where those two would end up if not in the SEC IMO. Some of the remaining end up in the Big 12, which ones I'm not sure but probably Pitt and Louisville for sure. That's 10 of the 14 ACC schools that end up in better financial situations than presently. Seems the big 12 schools get 44 mil/school and pretty quickly get to 50 mil I read somewhere recently. Do all the ACC schools get placed somewhere in a behind the scenes negotiations? I sort of think they do and maybe that is going on now. Obviously speculation on my part. ESPN also has $ tied up in this( ACC network and TV contract) and is in the middle of all this if it is going on.
If it is not going on we (conference schools) have a really big problem going forward for 13 years which is not news to any on here. It all gets down to the money as it always does.
Your Big12 numbers are accurate but misleading. The Big12’s numbers currently include Texas and Oklahoma. Next year’s numbers also include Texas and Oklahoma revenue without having to pay Texas and Oklahoma. Their new TV deal without Texas and Oklahoma is projected to be around $31M. Big12 numbers will be much less than ACC numbers. Just trying to keep things real.

slugboy

Staff member
Your Big12 numbers are accurate but misleading. The Big12’s numbers currently include Texas and Oklahoma. Next year’s numbers also include Texas and Oklahoma revenue without having to pay Texas and Oklahoma. Their new TV deal without Texas and Oklahoma is projected to be around $31M. Big12 numbers will be much less than ACC numbers. Just trying to keep things real.
This has the $31MM/year without TX and OK, but it’s bullish towards $50MM/year in two years

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tech has everything the B1G wants except the winning and the fan base that comes with it. Imagine how much the B1G + Tech talk would heat up if the Jackets were to win the ACC this year.

This. It's something I've been talking about for years in regards to GT in the B1G. GT fans, for all of our faults, will show up for "brand" names. How many "brand" names are there in the ACC? Clemson, FSU, and arguably UNC in football. VT was a popular ticket when they were good. When Notre Dame is here, BDS is full. Miami is a shell of its former self, and you can make an argument that so is FSU. Our ACC football attendance is predicated on how good a team is.

In the B1G, there's Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa...and now there's USC and UCLA. I'd argue that it doesn't really matter how good those teams are, fans will show up to watch those teams play. They're "brand names" which draw watchers on their history and name. Of course, when they're good, even more fans show up. The other thing is Atlanta is home to a HUGE population of B1G alums. It's one time a year that will probably not only draw a big alumni crowd in the state, but surrounding states.

Now imagine if GT is good to very good. Playing those teams, and winning, catapaults GT's brand higher on a national level than it would if we were beating NC State/Duke/Wake Forest/Syracuse/BC/whatever mediocre ACC team is on our schedule. It's a rising tide lifts all boats situation that made the SEC what it is today.

GT stands to gain A LOT from the move to the B1G.