Conference Realignment

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What team in their right mind would schedule a "home" game at a professional stadium that was intentionally set up to the color scheme of their in-state rivals.... oh wait, never mind.

This. To add, I don't think that uga actually "needs" to play int ATL. They already own the market. We are, at best, the second most popular NCAAFB team in our own city, and likely not even second with the amount of SEC fans living in the city. I mean, until this year we have played in the shadow of a building that purposely advertised Go Dwags so that our home crowd could see who runs this state...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This. It's something I've been talking about for years in regards to GT in the B1G. GT fans, for all of our faults, will show up for "brand" names. How many "brand" names are there in the ACC? Clemson, FSU, and arguably UNC in football. VT was a popular ticket when they were good. When Notre Dame is here, BDS is full. Miami is a shell of its former self, and you can make an argument that so is FSU. Our ACC football attendance is predicated on how good a team is.

In the B1G, there's Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa...and now there's USC and UCLA. I'd argue that it doesn't really matter how good those teams are, fans will show up to watch those teams play. They're "brand names" which draw watchers on their history and name. Of course, when they're good, even more fans show up. The other thing is Atlanta is home to a HUGE population of B1G alums. It's one time a year that will probably not only draw a big alumni crowd in the state, but surrounding states.

Now imagine if GT is good to very good. Playing those teams, and winning, catapaults GT's brand higher on a national level than it would if we were beating NC State/Duke/Wake Forest/Syracuse/BC/whatever mediocre ACC team is on our schedule. It's a rising tide lifts all boats situation that made the SEC what it is today.

GT stands to gain A LOT from the move to the B1G.
Agree. I could easily see 4 or 5 sellout games every season if we joined the B1G.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This has the $31MM/year without TX and OK, but it’s bullish towards $50MM/year in two years
[URL
This has the $31MM/year without TX and OK, but it’s bullish towards $50MM/year in two years
this still only works out to 31MM to 32MM per team per year since the Big 12 will have 12 teams.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the Big might even play 10 conference games when the conference reaches something like say 24 teams, seems to me it would pay them to do so at that time. Where does that leave us regarding playing UGA? Seems like when the Big 10 was at 11 teams they played 10 conference games every year, anyone know if that is right?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if the Big might even play 10 conference games when the conference reaches something like say 24 teams, seems to me it would pay them to do so at that time. Where does that leave us regarding playing UGA? Seems like when the Big 10 was at 11 teams they played 10 conference games every year, anyone know if that is right?

I think at some point the super conferences (B1G and SEC) will start to operate outside of the NCAA and you'll start seeing an almost semi pro league from them. B1G hasn't hidden that they want to be in all of the largest media markets, and have modeled their expansion after professional leagues. We'll start getting 10-12 conference games, and quite possibly a different playoff system where only the biggest conferences populate playoffs. The notion that the "student athlete" needs more rest and time to study will eventually fade away. SAs, for all intents and purposes, have become one year "rentals" where you either renew, "release", or the SA decides to go elsewhere.

Fans will need to let go of the notion that the college game is sacred, and SAs should be honored to play at schools. This will be a strictly business decision for both schools and SAs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are about to get left out in the cold. We might have to start a nerd conference for schools with higher academic requirements (Vandy, Duke, Wake, etc.).
Will all of the 300,000,000 $ gtaa debt be paid by the first alumni to come to a game? I suppose the acc buy out could pay for some.

I think that after it shakes out there will still be a track for Student Athletics. There could be some accomdations by the new power.

slugboy

Staff member

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That we’re in the top 50 after the past several football seasons and some of the basketball seasons is amazing.

Some private schools are surely underrepresented

$50+/- Million away from the top 20 and $70+/- Million away from the top 10. Just an idea of the revenue GT will need to begin competing at those levels. Of course, some schools do more with less and have a better return with respect to on the field results.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Saw three things.

Virginia ranked way higher than I thought they would.

Clemson ranked lower than I thought.

SEC has been stockpiling schools with hefty revenue streams and will continue as they add Texas and Oklahoma.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
$50+/- Million away from the top 20 and $70+/- Million away from the top 10. Just an idea of the revenue GT will need to begin competing at those levels. Of course, some schools do more with less and have a better return with respect to on the field results.
Some schools also have much bigger programs, with more varsity sports and more facilities to manage than we do. Some of these are gymnastics, which is a pretty expensive Olympic sport. Don't forget those teams with hockey rinks too.

Texas 19
Ohio State 36
Alabama 21
uga 21
Michigan 29
LSU 21
Tx. A&M 20
Florida 20
Penn St. 31
Oklahoma 19
Auburn 19
Michigan St. 23
Indiana 24
UVa 27

FSU 20
Kentucky 22
Clemson 19
Tennessee 20
Oregon 18
Arkansas 19
Iowa 22
Wisconsin 23
Lousiville 21
Illinois 21

GT 17

A better metric would be to compare football and men's basketball budgets.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Some schools also have much bigger programs, with more varsity sports and more facilities to manage than we do. Some of these are gymnastics, which is a pretty expensive Olympic sport. Don't forget those teams with hockey rinks too.

Texas 19
Ohio State 36
Alabama 21
uga 21
Michigan 29
LSU 21
Tx. A&M 20
Florida 20
Penn St. 31
Oklahoma 19
Auburn 19
Michigan St. 23
Indiana 24
UVa 27

FSU 20
Kentucky 22
Clemson 19
Tennessee 20
Oregon 18
Arkansas 19
Iowa 22
Wisconsin 23
Lousiville 21
Illinois 21

GT 17

If we are in big 10 we need to add some programs - 17 forcus and low 20 s for big 10.
We need to find resources

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If we are in big 10 we need to add some programs - 17 forcus and low 20 s for big 10.
We need to find resources
While I agree with more varsity sports being awesome, that wasn't the point I was making. Comparing AA budgets isn't apples to apples because tOSU funds 36 varsity sports, while GT funds 17. It would be more interesting to compare individual team budgets. I'd posit the differences aren't as big as they seem to be.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
While I agree with more varsity sports being awesome, that wasn't the point I was making. Comparing AA budgets isn't apples to apples because tOSU funds 36 varsity sports, while GT funds 17. It would be more interesting to compare individual team budgets. I'd posit the differences aren't as big as they seem to be.
Another metric, though it would take a lot of work, would be to figure out spending per student athlete in each program.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its all available at Knight.

If we want to be an elite academic institute with limited class offering, we need to budget way more revenue than others.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Texas 19
Ohio State 36
Alabama 21
uga 21
Michigan 29
LSU 21
Tx. A&M 20
Florida 20
Penn St. 31
Oklahoma 19
Auburn 19
Michigan St. 23
Indiana 24
UVa 27

FSU 20
Kentucky 22
Clemson 19
Tennessee 20
Oregon 18
Arkansas 19
Iowa 22
Wisconsin 23
Lousiville 21
Illinois 21

GT 17

That's a good point. Hopefully GT adds men's and women's soccer soon...of course, there are some issues there if that happens.