Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That’s why it’s all about the matchups. If we played Colorado last season instead of BC, how many people would have watched that game?
We cannot avoid the conference schedule, but our OOC opponents have to be important enough to get our games on a rated network, or we have start kicking a$$ when we have the upper hand. That will get the higher ratings we want.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That was all Deion. Everyone wanted to see the train wreck. If he's moderately successful, the interest in watching games will wane. If he's not successful, he'll be gone and no one will be watching Colorado. If he's wildly successful, Colorado will be like all other successful big state schools.
Sometimes I watch games hoping to see a certain team lose rather than the actual match up. I will usually stop watching if the opposite starts happening.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Pretty much what most of us have thought: FSU ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and when they do go, it's going to cost them a couple of limbs:

Wait, I thought I had learned in this thread that facts and the law don't really mean anything. I thought I had learned that lawsuits are resolved by feelings and innuendo instead of the law. ;)

slugboy

Staff member
Pretty much what most of us have thought: FSU ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and when they do go, it's going to cost them a couple of limbs:

And the ACC has at least partially cited the statute of limitations, which either hit in 2019 (North Carolina) or 2021 (Florida). FSU’s case didn’t need to be heard before then, but they needed to file before then, and they filed years later.

It’s hard to tell how hard the ACC is pushing some of their claims from the reporting.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Okay, the title is kinda click-baity, but stick with me a minute or two.

I can't help but feel more than a little pessimistic about the direction that college football is headed and the implications for Georgia Tech. My read is that the a few dozen big universities will dominate the landscape because they have the money to pay their players and coaches, etc. extremely well. Unless there is a big stash of gold under the east stands that we haven't found or been told about, we can't compete dollar for dollar.

So, as the landscape shifts from five power conferences to two, what is the realistic (ie, most likely) outcome for Tech 10-15 years from now?

Did we get a program-saving offer from the Big10? Or is is more likely that we've wound up in a second-tier league with other schools of comparable size and money?

If the latter, how do we feel about our place in the football universe of 2036 and beyond?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
My two cents is that we will either end up back in the SEC or we will be relegated to football purgatory in a conference like the AAC. The survival question may come down to the number of teams in the "P2", 20 or 24 teams. Scheduling wise 24 is easier than 20. Four 6 team divisions, you play the other 5 in your division and one from each of the other divisions. 20 in each conference is going to be a huge problem for us as there are only 2 seats left in the Big 10 and 4 in the SEC. You have to figure that ND, as they should, will have 1 of those 6 seats.

If this thing turns unto the hunger games and the Big10 and SEC also throw a couple of teams out, that would benefit us immensely.

Finally, a potential merger between the Big12 and the ACC to create a third "power" conference is possible. For one I have no interest in it but it may be the only lifeboat available for the Jackets.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
B1G and SEC exerting more of their power. Everyone knows how this is going to end, right? LOL at anyone who thought the SEC and B1G were being altruistic in forming an advisory group to straighten out the NCAA and college sports mess. At the end of the day, conferences are about making money. Powerful companies (see: SEC and B1G) want to maximize making money, and if they can bend and dictate rules to maximize revenue for themselves, they will. It's not a difficult concept to grasp.

How revenue is distributed will be at the heart of discussions for the future of the CFP. The new-look SEC and Big Ten will encompass most of college football’s powerhouse programs.

Most are expecting the two leagues to want more in revenue distribution as well as more weighted voting rights on key issues. They may get it, too. Starting in 2026, format and revenue matters do not need unanimous consent among the 11 commissioners and their corresponding 11 presidents.

Man, if you didn't see this coming when the SEC and B1G decided they were forming their own commission for the good of college sports (<-- sarcasm), then you don't understand the power dynamics between the "haves" and the "have nots" in all walks of life. This is just the beginning of the P2 squeezing more and more out of all revenue streams for themselves.

Aside from the format, officials need to agree on a new revenue-distribution model and voting structure — two concepts that the SEC and Big Ten are expected to significantly shape. The two leagues are expected to receive more revenue and more power in governance decisions.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think is going to be a giant pendulum swing back the other way at some point. The TV money is going to collapse for most schools and the programs will revert back to mostly just scholarship kids. These are going to be the kids that go Pro in something other than football after graduation. There may be some minor NIL stuff, but that will tend to be a random outlier. True NIL (non-booster support) will be the norm. There will be a set of schools that are at a different level. This WILL happen, or, the Olympic sports programs will go away at schools.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
ESPN holds all the cards to the ACC's future, as it stands in todays CFB. It just feels like something major is going to happen soon that ends up effecting ACC FB. We'll see.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
ESPN holds all the cards to the ACC's future, as it stands in todays CFB. It just feels like something major is going to happen soon that ends up effecting ACC FB. We'll see.
TV in general holds all the cards for College Football, period. Until folks stop caring about money (in other words, never) the TV folks will dictate what the shape of college sports is.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This 14-team model should be VERY alarming to ND. With only three at large teams their chances at the CFP as an independent shrink dramatically. But, as a member of the ACC, especially if they announce it soon, the ACC suddenly looks much better when compared to the SEC.
I posted this in the other thread about the playoffs, looking back over the prior fourteen seasons:
How does this impact Notre Dame?: ND would have qualified for a 14-team playoff 6 times by ranking - a bit over 40% of the time. Had they been in the ACC, they would have picked up one extra playoff spot in 2019 as the second auto-qualifier. I thought the proposed format might be an inducement for them to join the conference, but history doesn’t offer a compelling reason.