Conference Realignment

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
All it takes is for the rest of the CFB world to stop enabling the elites. They’ll make plenty of money along the way.
Yep, expect the powers that be are very conscience about not pissing off the fans in such a way that they lose them but continue to move us closer to one major conference for all of major CFB. I try and keep in mind that we are probably headed into a major, major downsizing of higher education institutions, possibly half or less than what we have today I've heard-- believe this is playing into all this behind the scenes and is creating pressure points on the decision makers in the institutions. Because of AAU the Big10 is the gorilla in the room and why the major networks lined up behind them over ESPN, not the whole reason I'm guessing. IMO we don't immediately get to one major CFB conference, we move to the big 2 with a third (Big12) providing some future teams towards the one big conference along the way possibly. From there I don't know whether we get to just two before we get to one or at some point we skip that and jump straight into the one major CFB conference. I'm sure someone knows that answer, but that is way above my paygrade as they say.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If the new proposal passes the SEC will have 3 auto bids, so yes it is extremely likely at least one 3 loss SEC team will be in every year after 2025.
Yeah, last year LSU (9-3) would have squeaked in at #13. Similarly, in 2022, FSU (9-3) would have gotten in. But FSU would have gotten an auto-bid anyway. Interestingly, that year there were a couple of non-SEC teams (Utah and K-State) that had 3 losses, yet were ranked in the top 10. Kind of goes against the narrative of SEC polling bias, but whatever.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Zero pushback? Were you in a coma there for a bit?
In what world are you living in where you saw pushback? Unless your definition of pushback is a couple of stories on ESPN followed by puff pieces on Bama and Harbaugh. Maybe you consider a worthless tweet by a commissioner as pushback. The ACC got rolled and cemented 2nd tier status. That’s the reality.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
In what world are you living in where you saw pushback? Unless your definition of pushback is a couple of stories on ESPN followed by puff pieces on Bama and Harbaugh. Maybe you consider a worthless tweet by a commissioner as pushback. The ACC got rolled and cemented 2nd tier status. That’s the reality.

This world. The one that people not wearing tinfoil hats dwell in. There was so much outrage and pushback over it that the CFP had to shut down their contact page.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, last year LSU (9-3) would have squeaked in at #13. Similarly, in 2022, FSU (9-3) would have gotten in. But FSU would have gotten an auto-bid anyway. Interestingly, that year there were a couple of non-SEC teams (Utah and K-State) that had 3 losses, yet were ranked in the top 10. Kind of goes against the narrative of SEC polling bias, but whatever.
There was no need to suppress those teams at that time because it didn’t matter. Now that it matters you’ll see if you pay attention. I can’t wait to see the whining when you guys see it in action.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
that year there were a couple of non-SEC teams (Utah and K-State) that had 3 losses, yet were ranked in the top 10. Kind of goes against the narrative of SEC polling bias, but whatever.

You are 100% correct of course. But there are a few who are definitely going to die on the "It's All ESPN Bias" hill. 🤣
They conveniently ignore the ACC's on-field performance (lack thereof) for the vast majority of the last seven decades.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This world. The one that people not wearing tinfoil hats dwell in. There was so much outrage and pushback over it that the CFP had to shut down their contact page.

Yeah, I remember when the ACC came together and had a press conference with all the AD’s. And then of course who could forget the boycott of bowl games. A contact page? That’s outrage? That’s a joke.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah, I remember when the ACC came together and had a press conference with all the AD’s. And then of course who could forget the boycott of bowl games. A contact page? That’s outrage? That’s a joke.

You're missing the point. There was so much traffic complaining about it that the CFP was forced to shut down a contact page. Now, did it change anything? Of course not, but don't mistake that a majority of college football fans were not happy with what happened.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not really. Look at where they were ranked at the beginning of the season. The issue isn’t as the season progresses, the the inherent bias at the start of the season.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You are 100% correct of course. But there are a few who are definitely going to die on the "It's All ESPN Bias" hill. 🤣
They conveniently ignore the ACC's on-field performance (lack thereof) for the vast majority of the last seven decades.

This. By the way, this was the makeup of the selection committee and their affiliations. Only one SEC guy on it. Two B1G connected members.

CFP MemberAffiliation
Chris Ault, retired Nevada Wolf Pack athletic director and football coachG5
Mitch Barnhart, Kentucky athletic directorSEC
Boo Corrigan, NC State athletic directorACC
Chet Gladchuck, U.S. Naval Academy athletic directorG5
Jim Grobe, retired football coach at Wake Forest, Baylor, and OhioACC/B12
Mark Harlan, Utah athletic directorPac/Big
Warde Manuel, Michigan athletic directorB1G
David Sayler, Miami (Ohio) athletic directorG5
Will Shields, former NFL player and Nebraska All-AmericanB1G
Gene Taylor, Kansas State athletic directorBig 12
Joe Taylor, former Virginia Union head coach and current athletic directorG5
Rod West, former Sugar Bowl president and current trustee at Notre DameND
Kelly Whiteside, former college football reporter for Newsday, Sports Illustrated, and USA TodayMedia

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Not really. Look at where they were ranked at the beginning of the season. The issue isn’t as the season progresses, the the inherent bias at the start of the season.
I'll concede Utah (#7 preseason), but K-State wasn't even ranked until week 6. Their top-ten finish was earned on the field.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'll concede Utah (#7 preseason), but K-State wasn't even ranked until week 6. Their top-ten finish was earned on the field.
You 180 degree'd my thought when you read it. The SEC bias starts with the preseason polls. There are always 5-6 teams in the Preseason Top25; half of those end up around .500 and aren't in the polls at the end of the season. These teams are slow to fall, while other teams have to claw and scratch to get there. K-State is the outlier that is the exception.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
You 180 degree'd my thought when you read it. The SEC bias starts with the preseason polls. There are always 5-6 teams in the Preseason Top25; half of those end up around .500 and aren't in the polls at the end of the season. These teams are slow to fall, while other teams have to claw and scratch to get there. K-State is the outlier that is the exception.
Agree that SEC bias starts in the preseason. I believe it often continues through the season as well (why stop with preseason, since an SEC loss is usually a "good" loss?). That was largely my point about the 2022 exception(s) - having non-SEC teams ranked in the top ten with 3 losses. This was in response to a poster stating that a 14-team playoff would likely include 3-loss SEC teams.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
unc and miami are routinely ranked high preseason (maybe not top 10, but in the low teens) and then fizzle out. If they didn't fizzle out, they would finish the season ranked high too. FSU and Clemson are always ranked pretty high.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This. By the way, this was the makeup of the selection committee and their affiliations. Only one SEC guy on it. Two B1G connected members.

CFP MemberAffiliation
Kelly Whiteside, former college football reporter for Newsday, Sports Illustrated, and USA TodayMedia

All these comments about the CFP being controlled by ESPN are really tiring. When you look at the makeup of the CFP selection committee and try to think through the arguments, it just gets sillier.

Just one example. If ESPN controlled the CFP, FSU would have been included. It would strengthen the ESPN audience for future ACC games and not actually had any impact of the SEC. FSU was undefeated and the hype about Travis would have enhanced the pregame talk show ratings.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All these comments about the CFP being controlled by ESPN are really tiring. When you look at the makeup of the CFP selection committee and try to think through the arguments, it just gets sillier.

Just one example. If ESPN controlled the CFP, FSU would have been included. It would strengthen the ESPN audience for future ACC games and not actually had any impact of the SEC. FSU was undefeated and the hype about Travis would have enhanced the pregame talk show ratings.

It's far easier to allege conspiracy than to deal with reality.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

CFP MemberAffiliation
The committee is stacked with 3 G5 reps, a journalist, a ND admin, and an SEChump, who just want the most money possible. Equity is not even among their goals. That will never happen for the G5 reps. The rest or that group don’t care. They will sidle up to the teat and get all they can.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The SEC and B1G are baked in to the current CFP until 2026. If either is looking to expand, I do not think it will be for football competition. It will be for revenue to the schools. They have almost too much competition for the top slots now. Why would the SEC invite Clemson, who might swell up again and take a CFP slot away from Texas or LSU or Ole Miss? The same could be said for FSU and the B1G.