Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is an interesting look. Here's the 2023 media viewership:

Atlantic Coast Conference
Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02.

Southeastern Conference
Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Big 12
Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09.

Big Ten
Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Pac-12
Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

The SEC has 48.18 million viewers per year (2023) vs. 24.67 for the ACC. This, along with subscriber fees, is what college football is all about: Programming content.
What does this look like historically? (last 3-5 years)

What to the totals for ACC v. B1G?

slugboy

Staff member
This is an interesting look. Here's the 2023 media viewership:

Atlantic Coast Conference
Florida State 4.16, Clemson 2.90, Miami 2.65, Duke 2.63, Louisville 2.37, North Carolina 1.93, Georgia Tech 1.83, Boston College 1.48, Pitt 1.37, Syracuse 1.20, NC State 1.13, Virginia Tech 1.02.

Southeastern Conference
Alabama 7.12, Georgia 5.90, Tennessee 4.57, LSU 3.79, Auburn 3.55, Missouri 3.25, Florida 3.17, Ole Miss 2.93, Texas A&M 2.74, South Carolina 2.69, Vanderbilt 2.46, Kentucky 2.07, Mississippi State 2.01, Arkansas 1.93.

Big 12
Texas 4.26, Oklahoma 2.61, Oklahoma State 1.96, TCU 1.70, Kansas 1.48, West Virginia 1.45, Iowa State 1.37, BYU 1.31, Kansas State 1.30, Texas Tech 1.30, Baylor 1.09.

Big Ten
Ohio State 6.05, Michigan 5.61, Penn State 3.66, Iowa 2.68, Nebraska 2.63, Michigan State 1.65, Wisconsin 1.61, Maryland 1.55, Minnesota 1.44, Indiana 1.26, Rutgers 1.14.

Pac-12
Colorado 6.00, Oregon 4.43, Washington 4.14, USC 3.77, Utah 2.61, Oregon State 2.44, Washington State 2.15, UCLA 1.67, Stanford 1.64, Arizona 1.30, Arizona State 1.20, Cal 1.08.

The SEC has 48.18 million viewers per year (2023) vs. 24.67 for the ACC. This, along with subscriber fees, is what college football is all about: Programming content.
I am not used to seeing us as higher-rated than Michigan State, Wisconsin, UCLA, and some others. Maybe there is a P2 spot for us if we play good football and basketball again.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
PST late game never draw much audience on the east coast, so that is part of the problem. SMU being a G5 team is also a factor.
Hopefully we don’t go later than 5:00 kicks on our trips to the left coast.
I sometimes find myself watching west coast football after midnight, but that’s not appointment TV.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It has become programming content. When you understand that, you understand everything else.

I do enjoy it. I just recognize that it is a media product now.
Exactly. Apparently, you like that. Fine. I don’t.

IMPO, it has destroyed competitive balance between what has become the elite and the paupers. The elite became the elite not because of intrinsic program strength, but because they mastered the money (or perhaps they were given special consideration).

The money has created the two classes of top-level CFB, it has rendered well more than half of CFB to be afterthoughts, and it has made the money chase the most important factor.

I understand it quite well. I despise what it has done to the sport. The elites cannot create their own league soon enough for me.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
They played Clemson, ND, FSU … yeah.
oriental and others have confirmed it's excluding games depending on where they were broadcast. Clemson, FSU, ND, UL, and Wake are the only games I see that would be counted towards their rating, so their rating has far more to do with who their opponents were for the bigger broadcasts than anything Duke itself brings to the table.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
oriental and others have confirmed it's excluding games depending on where they were broadcast. Clemson, FSU, ND, UL, and Wake are the only games I see that would be counted towards their rating, so their rating has far more to do with who their opponents were for the bigger broadcasts than anything Duke itself brings to the table.
I am convinced all the ratings are at least partially impacted by the opponent. The ND-tOSU game was the highest rated ND game for a reason.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
Football is about competition on the field, not money. Geeze.

That's only one aspect. It's also been about money for a long long long time. Why did Dodd refuse to play the Mississippi schools? Why did Clemson & Auburn come to Grant Field every year? Yep. Money.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
NB: The second highest viewership of the bunch: Colorado… a dreadfully bad team. They show that network hype works. There ia absolutely no way that CO ahould be within spitting distance of Clemson, and double virtually the rest of the ACC/B12.
That was all Deion. Everyone wanted to see the train wreck. If he's moderately successful, the interest in watching games will wane. If he's not successful, he'll be gone and no one will be watching Colorado. If he's wildly successful, Colorado will be like all other successful big state schools.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That was all Deion. Everyone wanted to see the train wreck. If he's moderately successful, the interest in watching games will wane. If he's not successful, he'll be gone and no one will be watching Colorado. If he's wildly successful, Colorado will be like all other successful big state schools.
Yes, but the point was that he gained viewership via hype, just like some conferences do.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Tech’s numbers are surprisingly good.

Also, we didn’t really add much in the way of viewers when Cal, Stanford and SMU joined the ACC.
Don't really know but those 3 being brought in seemed more about politics and future voting, at least to me it seemed that way.

If CBK and company bring GT back into the CFB picture again I've always thought we could carry our weight very well. The tough part is now while we're getting started, it always is in most things. Somewhere I believe our program gains momentum and then we need to do what we need to do to maintain the big mo. I'm tired of the short period of success to then go back to the bottom and then climb to another short period of success pattern we've been in for a long, long time.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't really know but those 3 being brought in seemed more about politics and future voting, at least to me it seemed that way.

If CBK and company bring GT back into the CFB picture again I've always thought we could carry our weight very well. The tough part is now while we're getting started, it always is in most things. Somewhere I believe our program gains momentum and then we need to do what we need to do to maintain the big mo. I'm tired of the short period of success to then go back to the bottom and then climb to another short period of success pattern we've been in for a long, long time.
Given time (and he will have time), I believe Brent will build a foundation that will be solid, one that will sustain consistent success - something we haven't seen here for 60 years.
Our star has just peeked over the horizon, and it is rising.