Conference Realignment

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good post Techster. I agree with most of your thoughts. For us old farts 2036 is meaningless since we won't be here. LOL Let's talk 5-10 years. LOL

Well, we already have a deal that you will be in the stands when GT makes it to the playoffs. You won't have to wait 10 years for it.

I have a feeling you'll be around longer than you think, and long enough to see GT win a LOT of big games. Cheers, my friend! We are at the first days of so many better days...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They can have the “the bottom of our conference can beat the bottom of yours” argument all they like.
Everyone needs to make it our personal mission to punish VT for that crap so they actually remain the bottom

Yeah, what VT did was the equivalent of one of our secret tree house club members showing a girl where we hang out and letting her hold our secret decoder rings. That member should be black balled and reduced to a sniveling puddle as each member takes turns pummeling them.

The Law GIF by MOODMAN

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, what VT did was the equivalent of one of our secret tree house club members showing a girl where we hang out and letting her hold our secret decoder rings. That member should be black balled and reduced to a sniveling puddle as each member takes turns pummeling them.

The Law GIF by MOODMAN
Can they still be a member after the pummeling?

CLHarperJackt

Georgia Tech Fan
Odds are close to zero that the ACC exist in its current form past 2036.

In its current form, ACC still has FSU. Zero percent chance FSU is still in the ACC after 2036. To be honest, the ACC itself may not want FSU in this conference after 2036. I've held the opinion that FSU doesn't make it to 2030 in the ACC, and I'll stand by it.

Clemson is actively exploring ways out, but they're doing it differently from FSU. They are treading lightly. My caveat with Clemson is they are not B1G material, and it will be interesting to see if the SEC values the Clemson brand as "additive" since they already have a school in SC...which is not a big state. Do they have something up their sleeve to even explore trying to get out of the GOR?

UNC has already made noise that the ACC basically needs to become more economically competitive with the P2, or else. UNC is getting substantial financial support from the state of NC to remain in the ACC due to NC hosting many NCAA and ACC sporting events, but the trajectory of the P2 payouts versus what the state of NC can pay may be a bridge too far to keep UNC in the ACC. SEC and B1G have been trying to add UNC for decades, and UNC is really the #1 school left on the expansion board.

GT is going to the B1G if we get an invite...which I'm almost certain we will. Cabrera wants the prestige and academic partnership of an AAU League, AND he wants GT to compete with "the big boys". Cabrera isn't Peterson...he understands where college sports is going, and the ACC will be a distant 3rd/4th "power" league by 2036. Also, unlike before, there's now healthy support among big donors to leave the ACC if the B1G comes calling again. No one has confidence the ACC can compete with the P2 once the revenue gap becomes chasm. This isn't just a sports thing for Cabrera and GT, it's also viewed as an academic improvement as many expect some of the ACC's most prestigious schools (see: UNC, UVA, GT, new member Stanford) to leave the ACC and dilute the academic banner the league has always prided itself on. The one caveat I'll place here is if Cabrera moves on to somewhere else. Cabrera already has suiters, and will have many more before 2036 rolls around. Can GT hold onto him, and if we can't, will the next President have the same ambitions for GT?

UVA and Miami will also be factors in the B1G expansion. UVA has always been highly coveted by the B1G, but the SEC has also come sniffing around UVA. UVA admins just don't want anything to do with the SEC with their win at all cost philosophy among conference members. Miami has been setting up for the B1G for years. They recently attained AAU, and brought in Radakovich who spearheaded GT's invite to the B1G. Miami is also a market that the B1G covets.

Cal and Stanford reside in a mega media market (top 10 media market) and their academics is top tier among world universities. Given the B1G's expansion model, it's hard not to see them wanting one of the schools to complete their "Pro Sports" market expansion.

You also have to look at the rise of the Big 12. What will the Big 12 be by 2036? Will it have surpassed the ACC? If so, then you look at schools like BC, Pitt, NC State, Duke who are either a major brand in a top 2 sport, or in a major media market. Will the ACC losing members cause our media value to decrease and give the Big 12 a chance to poach members?

That's a LOT of schools and a lot of variables the ACC has to fight to keep the current membership past 2036. IMO, the conference will lose at least 3-6 members once the GOR expires or someone finds an early out.
Even though the B1G is already in Pennsylvania, I would think that Pitt and Duke, would at least be eventually looked at too. Both are also members of the AAU. Pitt would give Penn State a fantastic in state rival and could easily develop rivalries with nearby Ohio State, Michigan, Rutgers and Maryland. Duke has a national basketball following and would provide national interest matchups with other traditional basketball powers such UCLA, Mich. State, Michigan, Maryland, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois along with the UNC. Why couldn't the B1G eventually take every AAU member of the ACC and call it done?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

The Law GIF by MOODMAN
Some things you just don’t do…!
Shaq No GIF

I criticized a ref at an Upward Basketball game once. My buddy with me was saying, “Don’t do it. Don’t do it….” I paid dearly for that mistake.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Still don’t understand the preseason VT love. They went 7-6 last year against a schedule of mostly ACC bottom feeders and a couple of G5s. They lost to the only 2 ranked teams they played, as well as Purdue, Rutgers, and Marshall. Sure, they beat Tulane in their bowl, but after Tulane’s coach left. 247 ranks their talent at 52nd. Yet they are very close to breaking into the top 25. Makes no sense to me.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

The Law GIF by MOODMAN
Agreed. They are no longer members in good standing of the He Man SEC Haters Club.
Dropping openers to FCS is embarrassing, but this will not be tolerated.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’ll never understand why so many GT fans love Notre Dame. Notre Dame’s scheduling and appeal practically guarantees them an at-large bid in the new format. And I doubt it’ll be at the expense of a P2 team.Reasons. 1, ND is in the ACC for all but football. 2. ND plays about 5 ACC teams annually. Beating a good ND team really helps teams like GT in National recognition. 3. When ND plays at ACC stadiums the home team draws a larger than usual crowd. Not quite the same impact as when ND joined the ACC for all but football but still significant.
Still don’t understand the preseason VT love. They went 7-6 last year against a schedule of mostly ACC bottom feeders and a couple of G5s. They lost to the only 2 ranked teams they played, as well as Purdue, Rutgers, and Marshall. Sure, they beat Tulane in their bowl, but after Tulane’s coach left. 247 ranks their talent at 52nd. Yet they are very close to breaking into the top 25. Makes no sense to me.
They returned 20 of 22 starters from a team that went 5-3 in Conference with conference losses to FSU, Louisville and NCST. No bad conference losses. Like us they beat Wake, Cuse and UVA. They also beat BC unlike us. Their5th conference win wasPitt. Started1-3 ended 7-6 same as GT. Easier schedule (on paper) than GT this year.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Root, it won’t let me reply but I disagree with all points, lol.

Regarding Notre Dame, I don’t care what conference they’re in for other sports. The ACC was dumb to accept a partial membership. I’m very skeptical of multiple ACC teams consistently making the playoffs so conference wins against them are meaningless. Let them go find FCS and G5 schools for scraps of scheduling…

Virginia Tech was consistent last season. Consistent at being mediocre, defeating teams they should defeat and losing to teams better than them. Their schedule is easy this season but that should never be grounds to rate them high in ACC preseason polls.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Root, it won’t let me reply but I disagree with all points, lol.

Regarding Notre Dame, I don’t care what conference they’re in for other sports. The ACC was dumb to accept a partial membership. I’m very skeptical of multiple ACC teams consistently making the playoffs so conference wins against them are meaningless. Let them go find FCS and G5 schools for scraps of scheduling…

Virginia Tech was consistent last season. Consistent at being mediocre, defeating teams they should defeat and losing to teams better than them. Their schedule is easy this season but that should never be grounds to rate them high in ACC preseason polls.
Ok so they had a very similar conference schedule to GT last year and had the same conference record. Check. They return 20 starters from a5-3 /7-6 team. Check. Preseason it appeared they had 2 hard Conference games Miami and Clemson. Check.

Easy to see why people would view them as a dark horse ACC Contender.

Most VT fans around me in NOVA, my son is a VT Grad, don’t think Pry is the guy to take them back to their glory days of the early 2000s.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I still think ND has a better path to the playoffs as a conference member than an independent. As of today they would be the odds on favorite to win the conference. A conference champ with 2-3 losses gets in. I doubt a 3 loss at large makes it.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
VT’s schedule is almost certainly not why they received votes in the poll and GT didn’t. The polls aren’t future looking SOS based, but recent snapshot performance. And I doubt most people spent time digging into VT’s or GT’s schedule when tossing a handful of votes VT’s way.

Both teams returned a lot from similar records. GT had higher ceiling wins, if an even more baffling loss (not that Marshall is good). VT got shut down and blown out by Louisville. Both teams had good bowl wins. Basically everything you can say to second-guess 2024 GT’s outlook can be applied to them too.

How that adds up to about a ~20 spot difference in a lot of the preseasons rankings is explained solely by VT getting more benefit of the doubt than GT recently. Probably not gonna last that much longer though.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
VT’s schedule is almost certainly not why they received votes in the poll and GT didn’t. The polls aren’t future looking SOS based, but recent snapshot performance. And I doubt most people spent time digging into VT’s or GT’s schedule when tossing a handful of votes VT’s way.

Both teams returned a lot from similar records. GT had higher ceiling wins, if an even more baffling loss (not that Marshall is good). VT got shut down and blown out by Louisville. Both teams had good bowl wins. Basically everything you can say to second-guess 2024 GT’s outlook can be applied to them too.

How that adds up to about a ~20 spot difference in a lot of the preseasons rankings is explained solely by VT getting more benefit of the doubt than GT recently. Probably not gonna last that much longer though.
You are incorrect on looking at the 2924 record as a factor. All offseason GT has been noted to have one of the top 10 or harder 2024 schedules. Most pundits expected a 6 win ceiling due to the schedule. VT was projected to have 8-9 wins based on schedule. Vandy was a projected win!

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
You are incorrect on looking at the 2924 record as a factor. All offseason GT has been noted to have one of the top 10 or harder 2024 schedules. Most pundits expected a 6 win ceiling due to the schedule. VT was projected to have 8-9 wins based on schedule. Vandy was a projected win!
Somehow SEC teams with tough schedules still get plenty of votes. The expectation is that the lower ranked of them will go, say, 7-5 or 8-4 against the hard schedule and end up around number 23 still. SOS results in outcomes being adjusted.

GT wasn’t expected to be good enough to finish with a winning record against that schedule to be ranked. In part because of 3-9 over and over and over. Compare to under Chan when GT teams with tough schedules would get put in that 20-25 spot for being expected to go 7-5 against a tough schedule that included Auburn or ND plus UGA Miami and VT.

So GT has lost the benefit of the doubt. Understandable enough.

But why the heck does VT still have the benefit of the doubt?

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I still think ND has a better path to the playoffs as a conference member than an independent. As of today they would be the odds on favorite to win the conference. A conference champ with 2-3 losses gets in. I doubt a 3 loss at large makes it.

But as a conference member, they’d need to play an occasional elite team and get exposed. Or a conference championship game and get exposed.

They have the easiest strength of schedule of any top 10 team by a mile. They’re not dumb… they don’t really have any truly elite teams on their schedule in years. 10-2 is very doable and easily puts them in around a 10 seed. They get an extra home game and associated revenue before ****ting the bed in a subsequent playoff round.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll never understand why so many GT fans love Notre Dame. Notre Dame’s scheduling and appeal practically guarantees them an at-large bid in the new format. And I doubt it’ll be at the expense of a P2 team.
If ND is ranked in the top 10, they deserve to be in the CFP. Why would anyone have a problem with that.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If you’re trying to decide who the best team is so you can give them a trophy then you’re just wasting time on something that doesn’t matter. Sports have playoffs and sometimes the worse team wins. But they won their games, and that’s really why we watch isn’t it? If the favorite won every game why would anyone pay attention? Same with the championship arguments. Arguing who is five is the same thing as arguing as who is two. If you’re not one why does it matter? Well it matters because you have to go play a game and win. If you can do that you get the trophy. I’m not sure why anyone wants to discount a conference champion. If you’re better than them you should beat them. Same with whoever you face afterwards. If you argue that you might lose then you’ve already discounted your argument that they don’t belong.

It’s all pretty childish actually. Just let the conference champions play and fill in the rest with at large teams. Those teams can account for the best of the rest.