Conference Realignment

yoshiki2

Jolly Good Fellow
Root, it won’t let me reply but I disagree with all points, lol.

Regarding Notre Dame, I don’t care what conference they’re in for other sports. The ACC was dumb to accept a partial membership. I’m very skeptical of multiple ACC teams consistently making the playoffs so conference wins against them are meaningless. Let them go find FCS and G5 schools for scraps of scheduling…

Virginia Tech was consistent last season. Consistent at being mediocre, defeating teams they should defeat and losing to teams better than them. Their schedule is easy this season but that should never be grounds to rate them high in ACC preseason polls.
They validate the ACCs strength of schedule. ACC decides who plays ND, besides playing ND provides good TV ratings, which are needed. It'd up to ACC teams to rise up to the challenge..

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Teams currently suing their conference are 0-3 this year.
As much as everyone is enjoying dunking on FSU right now, it isn't very helpful to the ACC that the only two top 15 teams coming into the season are 0-3. It's only week 2 and i'm not sure there is a big game left on the ACC schedule this year. Maybe Miami against Louisville?

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as everyone is enjoying dunking on FSU right now, it isn't very helpful to the ACC that the only two top 15 teams coming into the season are 0-3. It's only week 2 and i'm not sure there is a big game left on the ACC schedule this year. Maybe Miami against Louisville?
If the trend continues, Miami against Georgia Tech seems like a pretty big game right now.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I’m positive the ACC will have a few contenders emerge that we didn’t expect(like Louisville last year). Not to mention the mutts will do what they did to Clemson to a lot of SEC teams, so Clemson is probably still a top 15-20 team. Ultimately though, we just got to take care of business and that conference ‘chip gets us an auto bid, ACC be damned.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m positive the ACC will have a few contenders emerge that we didn’t expect(like Louisville last year). Not to mention the mutts will do what they did to Clemson to a lot of SEC teams, so Clemson is probably still a top 15-20 team. Ultimately though, we just got to take care of business and that conference ‘chip gets us an auto bid, ACC be damned.
Exactly.
What the ACC needs far more than FSU and Clemson is for another team to emerge as a contender. That’s been our biggest issue. We’ve been perceived as a one team league. When Clem and FSU stumble, there is a vacuum. That has to change.
(I really hope it’s us and not Miami)
IMG_0159.gif

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.
What the ACC needs far more than FSU and Clemson is for another team to emerge as a contender. That’s been our biggest issue. We’ve been perceived as a one team league. When Clem and FSU stumble, there is a vacuum. That has to change.
View attachment 16767
I would love to see us win the Conference and get a bye and have Miami, BC and Louisville make the playoffs. Wishful thinking but the ACC would be back to prominence then.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see us win the Conference and get a bye and have Miami, BC and Louisville make the playoffs. Wishful thinking but the ACC would be back to prominence then.

I think ACC’s best case scenario for getting multiple teams in the playoff this year is for Miami to go 12-0 and then lose in the ACC championship game. I think they are the only team outside of FSU and Clemson with a big enough brand to get in as an at large bid. I’m not confident any two loss ACC team gets in, unfortunately, which Clemson would be in this scenario(losing to ugag and ACC Championship).

Personally, I’m not rooting for that as we are on Miami’s schedule, though if we were 13-0 and Miami was 11-2 with two losses to us…maybe they’d get in.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think ACC’s best case scenario for getting multiple teams in the playoff this year is for Miami to go 12-0 or 11-1 and then lose in the ACC championship game. I think they are the only team outside of FSU and Clemson with a big enough brand to get in as an at large bid. I’m not confident any two loss ACC team gets in, unfortunately.
This is the only scenario for the ACC being a multi-bid league.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I think ACC’s best case scenario for getting multiple teams in the playoff this year is for Miami to go 12-0 and then lose in the ACC championship game. I think they are the only team outside of FSU and Clemson with a big enough brand to get in as an at large bid. I’m not confident any two loss ACC team gets in, unfortunately, which Clemson would be in this scenario(losing to ugag and ACC Championship).

Personally, I’m not rooting for that as we are on Miami’s schedule, though if we were 13-0 and Miami was 11-2 with two losses to us…maybe they’d get in.
I think if GT goes 11-1 and loses in the ACC Championship we'll still get in. Our schedule is legitimate. I think Georgia State will contend for the Sunbelt and with ND & uga as OOC, we will be respected.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.
View attachment 16767
Miami is the only other team that can fill that void right now. Part of it is past success but part of it is also recruiting. The ACC had three top 12 recruiting classes in 2024. Miami, FSU, and Clemson. Nobody is going to be convinced of the other ACC programs until they win very consistently over several years and start recruiting consistently in the top 15. Even if a Louisville or GT is a one loss team late in the season they will be looked at more as a pretender than a contender. We saw that last year with Louisville.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Miami is the only other team that can fill that void right now. Part of it is past success but part of it is also recruiting. The ACC had three top 12 recruiting classes in 2024. Miami, FSU, and Clemson. Nobody is going to be convinced of the other ACC programs until they win very consistently over several years and start recruiting consistently in the top 15. Even if a Louisville or GT is a one loss team late in the season they will be looked at more as a pretender than a contender. We saw that last year with Louisville.

They did themselves and us no favors by losing to Kentucky.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
In terms of non-conference winners, I believe the following logic will generally apply in this order…

P2 - 10-2 / 10-3 is likely good enough
ND - 10-2 is good enough
ACC / Big 12 - 11-1 / 11-2 may be enough

With all that stated, if there was a bet on the over/under of ACC teams in the playoffs, I’d take under 1.5 all day.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer

I’ll take a regular season loss to Miami and a win over them in the ACCCG ;)

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think if GT goes 11-1 and loses in the ACC Championship we'll still get in. Our schedule is legitimate. I think Georgia State will contend for the Sunbelt and with ND & uga as OOC, we will be respected.

I suppose us sitting at 12-1 with a win the week before in Athens plus a win against ND would probably give us a good a chance at an at large bid. Especially if we lost to a Miami team in the conference championship that we beat earlier in the season… fun scenarios to think about.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yeah… I disagree… I don’t think it will take “years” of winning and I don’t think that only Miami is capable.
@yeti92 dead on with the assessment of Lville. They were pretty highly regarded until they laid an egg against Kentucky. They were a one loss team that had soundly beaten a good ND team and people were buying in. UK result was a disaster and even further diminished FSU’s accomplishment.
But regardless, the “second” team doesn’t need to be perennial. Just put together a complete season once in a while.