Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You're right! So my proposal would help to mitigate the "too many games for college teams" problem! Thanks for the correction.
Why do you want to mitigate games? I hope we expand to a 16 game regular season and 32 team playoff. Players are now getting paid and there is an endless supply of players so let’s play from mid August to mid December and then use January for the playoffs. We sure don’t worry about mitigation when it comes to 3-4 baseball games a week all over the country or 3 hoops games a week. Same for volleyball. If a player gets injured, roll him off the field and put in the next guy. Football players are mercenaries at this point with NIL and the portal so let’s give them what they want. I know that sounds harsh, but seriously now, players have proven that commitments and loyalty are words used as toilet paper these days so I say let’s play more games. All this talk of the regular season becoming meaningless with a playoff is just silly. We have a playoff now and it sure seemed like we all cared about the game last Saturday.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Why do you want to mitigate games? I hope we expand to a 16 game regular season and 32 team playoff. Players are now getting paid and there is an endless supply of players so let’s play from mid August to mid December and then use January for the playoffs. We sure don’t worry about mitigation when it comes to 3-4 baseball games a week all over the country or 3 hoops games a week. Same for volleyball. If a player gets injured, roll him off the field and put in the next guy. Football players are mercenaries at this point with NIL and the portal so let’s give them what they want. I know that sounds harsh, but seriously now, players have proven that commitments and loyalty are words used as toilet paper these days so I say let’s play more games. All this talk of the regular season becoming meaningless with a playoff is just silly. We have a playoff now and it sure seemed like we all cared about the game last Saturday.
Didn't say I wanted to to limit games. There have been some complaints about the extra games, I think from some coaches.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know. Just bustin chops. I would absolutely expect coaches to want to limit games. If I were a coach I’d want to play one game against directional U yet get my full salary. My overall point is that everyone excepts the fans are getting what they want. Players now getting Benjamins over the table, the coaches getting multi millions of dollars with buyouts and ability to disappear in the dark of night if they want, and TV getting content from 11am to midnight. So, as a fan, I want more games to watch my uniforms. I don’t really care about players anymore because they come and go and I sure don’t give any attention to academics anymore since no one takes academics into account on signing day. I’d love to see a hat ceremony that involved a SAT score.

slugboy

Staff member
Clemson has spent $1,001,124.53 in legal fees so far. Who knows how much FSU and the conference have spent.

Most of it seems to be funded by IPTAY

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
They also don't, as far as we know, disqualify teams that will not be good for TV viewership. By its size it is very inclusive, while the CFP is quite exclusive (except for two particular conferences). That is the basis for my statement that it is still unfair and bad for long-term competitiveness, and thus, broken. Bigger, but broken.
I liked this but I would differ slightly. Rather than “bigger, but broken,” I would say, “better, and not quite as broken, but still broken.”

It’s interesting that the justification for being an exclusive playoff in which committees decide who plays and under what handicaps, is that it’s about creating the best show. But if the playoff is not about determining a national champion then can a school (like Georgia last year) call themselves a national champion even though they didn’t win the playoff? That’s rhetorical but you get the point. It’s still a broken system if it’s just about money and nothing else.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Hard to envision a perfect system that crowns a "true" champion for a sport with 134 teams and only 12 regular-season games. Anyone want to propose something better? I maintain that the 12-team playoff is better than than a bunch of sportswriters voting on a champ.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
With week 1 wrapping up, ACC teams overall didn’t do much to help shape conference perceptions. Its obviously early but I struggle to see a scenario where more than one ACC team makes the playoffs.

Miami destroyed UF, a game where the odds of winning were roughly 50/50 but the narrative is that UF / Napier are dead men walking.

Clemson played u(sic)ga well in the first half but never looked like a threat to win. And didn’t look like they belong on the same field by the time the game was over.

ACC dark horses VT and NCST were embarrassing. VT losing to a perennial bottom feeding SEC team and NCST had to mount a 4th quarter comeback to top an FCS team they were expected to beat by nearly 5 TDs.

ND was a big week 1 winner and is likely to secure one of the 7 at large playoff spots.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame could knock a second team from the ACC getting into the playoff. They play Louisville and FSU as part of their ACC teams. If either don't win the conference and ND beats them, they could miss out with 2 losses because ND is not an ACC member in FB. I was hoping TAM would beat them.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Perceptions? Those are set and won’t change until the ACC wins for years. The ACC will get 1 team in the playoff because that is what the powers have already shown with actions. The ACC could have gone undefeated yesterday and it would have zero meaning in late October and into November when the polls will be manipulated.

As for finding a perfect system, it doesn’t exist in any sport. Just read what fans in the other major sports say. Baseball - they say Division winners don’t matter because the wildcards negate 162 games. In the NFL you have bad division winners getting in while better 3rd place teams get left out. There is no perfect system but the more teams that get in the college football playoff the fewer teams who can say they got hosed.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame could knock a second team from the ACC getting into the playoff. They play Louisville and FSU as part of their ACC teams. If either don't win the conference and ND beats them, they could miss out with 2 losses because ND is not an ACC member in FB. I was hoping TAM would beat them.
I can't bring myself to ever root for ND, but their winning helps the rest of the ACC's SoS. They play 5 ACC games including us. For a hypothetical example, if ND wins all their regular season games except against us, we look better.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can't bring myself to ever root for ND, but their winning helps the rest of the ACC's SoS. They play 5 ACC games including us. For a hypothetical example, if ND wins all their regular season games except against us, we look better.
Reality is they are not an ACC team in football but they can negatively affect the teams in the league that are. So what if they are top 10 ranking but have knocked out good ACC teams from better bowls or an at large berth in the playoffs by adding a loss.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Reality is they are not an ACC team in football but they can negatively affect the teams in the league that are. So what if they are top 10 ranking but have knocked out good ACC teams from better bowls or an at large berth in the playoffs by adding a loss.
That is a valid point, but would you rather have ND lose all their non-ACC games but beat good ACC teams?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Still a long ways to go. Looks like there is only 12-15 really good teams this year.
Last year three losses knocked you out of the top 12. Two or more ACC teams could make it with two losses or less.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Did strength of schedule help FSU last year? They will use any reason or no reason to not give anyone outside the BIG or SEC a bid. Strength of schedule won’t matter one bit so feel free to root against them if you want. They may say it for cover but don’t listen to words, look at action. We have years of data available to see how they will execute their plan. It’s exactly why the SEC put up some big numbers yesterday (Bama, Ole Miss, UGA). We are back to a beauty contest for slots 7-11 so get ready to hear a bunch of new criteria we haven’t heard before just like we heard “injury” for the first time last year.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did strength of schedule help FSU last year?
Having a weak SoS was literally one of the primary reasons the committee gave for leaving FSU out. ESPN had their schedule ranked 36th. UW was #1, Bama #2, Michigan #7, Texas #12, UGA #23.

Warren Nolan had Bama #1, UW #2, Texas #5, UGA #8, Michigan #12, FSU #40

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Hard to envision a perfect system that crowns a "true" champion for a sport with 134 teams and only 12 regular-season games. Anyone want to propose something better? I maintain that the 12-team playoff is better than than a bunch of sportswriters voting on a champ.
Read my proposal from earlier. It is IMO a perfect 8 conference system (after you dismantle all the current conferences and distribute the teams and money equally across the 8 new conferences) Participation in the tournament is based solely on game results. Win your conference championship, you are in. Lose your conference championship, you are out. No subjective analyses and no committees.