Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anyone who doesn't think the college post season is better now that it has ever been. And, it's not a lateral move of changing a flawed system to a newer, but equally flawed systems. The new post season is significantly better. Your position seems to be if it's not perfect, than it's 100% broke. It's OK if it's not perfect. We're not talking about Boeing's Starliner.
Again, nothing piled high is still nothing. The broken part is the goal is not to determine a champion, it is to make money. That broken, and it remains so. To unbreak it you need to value the conference CG as the entry round into the playoff. All P4 champs get in with maybe the top three G5 champs getting in, plus the top independent (or maybe the top 2 G5 with the top 2 independents or at-large). Eight teams, no conference duplicates, no conference favored, regular season matters, no byes, money is what it is. Play it off.

It cannot work when one or two conferences are allowed to game the system and reap the bulk of the financial benefit year after year. It becomes a tool to enrich those conferences to the disadvantage of the rest. That is inequity at its core, and that is broken, IMPO.

You are welcome to think as you prefer.

Last edited:

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Again, nothing piled high is still nothing. The broken part is the goal is not to determine a champion, it is to make money. That broken, and it remains so. To unbreak it you need to value the conference CG as the entry round into the playoff. All P4 champs get in with maybe the top three G5 champs getting in, plus the top independent (or maybe the top 2 G5 with the top 2 independents or at-large). Eight teams, no conference duplicates, no conference favored, regular season matters, no byes, money is what it is. Play it off.
I would do something even more extreme than that. I would blow up all the existing conferences and create 8 conferences of 16- 20 teams each. Only the conference champ gets into the playoff. No selection committees, no beauty pageants, just on field results. Everyone else can play in a bowl game or whatever....but they are not playing in the National Championship tournament.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would do something even more extreme than that. I would blow up all the existing conferences and create 8 conferences of 16- 20 teams each. Only the conference champ gets into the playoff. No selection committees, no beauty pageants, just on field results. Everyone else can play in a bowl game or whatever....but they are not playing in the National Championship tournament.
I like what had been suggested before. Go to 16 teams (would be the same number of weeks of playoffs). Power 4 get 2 teams each plus one Group of 5 guaranteed. That still leaves 7 wildcards. I know the SEC and Big Ten will not agree with this but I think it is a way to give the ACC and Big 12 a better chance of having additional teams but not reduce the number of wildcards. If I was the Big 12 and ACC, I wouldn't agree with anything else if the push is to get the playoffs to 16 teams in a few years. Not sure what the Group of 5 Conferences viewpoint would be on this approach.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
My ideal playoff hasn't changed since they started talking about going to a playoff from the BCS. It should be 8 teams with all Power conference champions, one highest ranked G5 conference champion, and 3 at large (was 2 at large before this year). I would even be okay expanding it to 12 teams to include all G5 champions.

The main way in is through the conference championship (basically the first round of the playoffs). The teams for the conference championships should also be decided upon by distinct rules based off on the field results (no polling influence) that are set at the start of the season. This way the path to the national championship is entirely based on how you play each game.

For any independent teams they have to be ranked high enough (by scheduling and beating good teams) to get one of the few at large bids, and if they don't like it, they can join a conference.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My ideal playoff hasn't changed since they started talking about going to a playoff from the BCS. It should be 8 teams with all Power conference champions, one highest ranked G5 conference champion, and 3 at large (was 2 at large before this year). I would even be okay expanding it to 12 teams to include all G5 champions.

The main way in is through the conference championship (basically the first round of the playoffs). The teams for the conference championships should also be decided upon by distinct rules based off on the field results (no polling influence) that are set at the start of the season. This way the path to the national championship is entirely based on how you play each game.

For any independent teams they have to be ranked high enough (by scheduling and beating good teams) to get one of the few at large bids, and if they don't like it, they can join a conference.
The problem I have with this is that it discounts the possibility that one conference may actually have the two best teams. Should one of them be eliminated in the 1st round? Also, why have a unique rule for Notre Dame. Why not just tell them the playoffs are for conference champions? That's what you would be telling everyone else.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The problem I have with this is that it discounts the possibility that one conference may actually have the two best teams. Should one of them be eliminated in the 1st round? Also, why have a unique rule for Notre Dame. Why not just tell them the playoffs are for conference champions? That's what you would be telling everyone else.
The at-large bids would take care of that. Does the NFL exclude the AFC South from the playoffs simply because the AFC North is much stronger? No, the division champions get in automatically. There are wild card spots for good teams in deep divisions.

I also don't think that is a separate rule for ND. It would just mean that ND has no way of getting an automatic bid. They would have to be ranked high enough to get an at large bid.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm perfectly okay with only conference champions, but technically there are a few independents in the league so to account for them having a chance we have the 3 at large bids. Also, if the two best teams are in the same conference than the better team will come out on top and keep playing so I don't have a problem with that. Plus if the one that lost is that good, then they would likely be ranked high enough to grab one of the at large spots and have a second chance.

Edited: @RonJohn added a great comparison to the NFL.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This is where you and I disagree. I want a tourney based solely on game results, where someone's opinions are irrelevant. That is why I want to blow up the existing conferences and spread the teams around. Blow up the entire thing; SEC doesn't exist, Big 10 doesn't exist; ACC doesn't exist. TV money distributed equally to eight (8) new conferences. It would be glorious chaos as teams scramble to join a conference that they think will give them the best chance to win and advance (not the best chance to make more money even if they lose). ESPN/FOX would be doing everything in their power to distribute the power teams evenly amongst the conferences. Imagine; eight new conferences sending their best team (based solely on conference championship game results, not a committee) to a tournament to determine a national champion. It would be beautiful....but no chance on this earth that it would happen.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm perfectly okay with only conference champions, but technically there are a few independents in the league so to account for them having a chance we have the 3 at large bids. Also, if the two best teams are in the same conference than the better team will come out on top and keep playing so I don't have a problem with that. Plquus if the one that lost is that good, then they would likely be ranked high enough to grab one of the at large spots and have a second chance.

I am also old enough to remember when NCAA Basketball only took tournament champions. The MD team in 1974 (or 1975) was one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country and lost to NC State. You can debate whether 68 teams are too many but only having conference champions is too high a burden. I think football playoffs need to be a mix of automatic qualifiers and at large teams.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I am also old enough to remember when NCAA Basketball only took tournament champions. The MD team in 1974 (or 1975) was one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the country and lost to NC State. You can debate whether 68 teams are too many but only having conference champions is too high a burden. I think football playoffs need to be a mix of automatic qualifiers and at large teams.
Winning a national championship should be a high burden. The champion should be able to prove they can win when it matters. To me a "better" team losing in a conference championship is no different than a "better" team losing in the first round of the playoffs. Either way they had their shot and lost when it mattered.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Although the obvious purpose of the playoff is to generate boatloads of media money, the underlying purpose should be to crown the overall best team as the national champion.

It’s ok to give auto-bids to some of the conference champions, as chances are they are among the handful of best teams in the country. But there’s also a chance that the ultimate winner could have made it to their conference championship, but didn’t win a close contest due to extenuating circumstances. These teams should have an opportunity to show just how good they can be. (Our 2014 team – looking at you)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Only three active coaches have won a National Championship. And realistically, very few teams have a shot year after year to the National Championship. Having more teams means more games. This actually gives the big boys with deeper rosters and home field advantage a better chance to win the title.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Although the obvious purpose of the playoff is to generate boatloads of media money, the underlying purpose should be to crown the overall best team as the national champion.

It’s ok to give auto-bids to some of the conference champions, as chances are they are among the handful of best teams in the country. But there’s also a chance that the ultimate winner could have made it to their conference championship, but didn’t win a close contest due to extenuating circumstances. These teams should have an opportunity to show just how good they can be. (Our 2014 team – looking at you)
What extenuating circumstances prevent you from winning a football game? Both teams are on the field at the same time in the same weather conditions. They both play all the snaps. You make the plays to win the game, or you don't.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

Following the same logic, if one of the "best" teams is in a playoff or national championship game and loses a close one "due to extenuating circumstances", then they should also have a second chance.

I am not trying to be condescending, but just stating that to me there is no difference in the two situations. It is simple, win and you are in. The results on the field have to matter wether it is the conference championship or playoffs.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
What extenuating circumstances prevent you from winning a football game? Both teams are on the field at the same time in the same weather conditions. They both play all the snaps. You make the plays to win the game, or you don't.
Following the same logic, if one of the "best" teams is in a playoff or national championship game and loses a close one "due to extenuating circumstances", then they should also have a second chance.

I am not trying to be condescending, but just stating that to me there is no difference in the two situations. It is simple, win and you are in. The results on the field have to matter wether it is the conference championship or playoffs.
"Extenuating" wasn't the best choice of words on my part. Sometimes close games are fluky, and the best-performing team does not win. What if Colorado's 5th-down game had been their conference championship? I'm not suggesting that losing a playoff game should grant you a second chance (although some types of tournaments allow that), but with the small number of regular-season games and the limited amount of inter-conference play, a conference championship should not be the only qualifier. The CFP seems to think that as well.

There have already been cases where a team failed to win their conference but went on to win the CFP. Should we deny them that chance?

Last edited:

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Agreed, all the games need to matter for everyone.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

The purpose should not be to crown the best team or have the best teams in the playoffs. That concept is and has always been pure nonsense. There is a reason that no other major sport tries to crown their champion this way.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I'm perfectly okay with only conference champions, but technically there are a few independents in the league so to account for them having a chance we have the 3 at large bids. Also, if the two best teams are in the same conference than the better team will come out on top and keep playing so I don't have a problem with that. Plus if the one that lost is that good, then they would likely be ranked high enough to grab one of the at large spots and have a second chance.

why do we have to account for them? They can join a damn conference.