Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Well good luck with that. FSU isn't making a lot of progress on that front.

But go ahead. Spend $100 million.
What do you think the odds are of the ACC existing in close to its current form in 2037?

I think the ACC could be much more aggressive at pushing a better message to increase those odds.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The acc will reduce the term from 2036, get more espn money based improved total school support like Gt. Likely time it to end a time similar to other conferences so all tv deals are negotiating at one time.

Now
The lawyer for both teams are doing thier thing.

Howvever, Gt football is focused on getting better at doing thier thing. We just stoned the "we are so elite we are leaving the acc" in a straight up well played game. Also, got our first 5 star recruit beating out them and Ohio State. After game 4 Star UGA DT decommited to GT. Prez is leading from front. Student section sold out, accn at Sat night game, white out...... . Maybe we have the YELLOW... JACKETS cheer.

Gt having a great year could not come at a better time. Could permantly shift the narrative so UNC, Duke , Wake , NCSt can't give us the shank. ( 4 teams in NC w 10 million. Three are 60 miles apart - give me a break about media and recruiting footprint. . Next go-round UNC will give them the shank

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What do you think the odds are of the ACC existing in close to its current form in 2037?

I think the ACC could be much more aggressive at pushing a better message to increase those odds.
I’ll answer - no way the ACC exists in its current form in 13 years. Look back 13 years (2011) and tell me if it’s the same? And 13 years ago we didn’t have teams intentionally trying to leave.

Now, if the ACC were to change management and get their version of Sankey or JBatt then negotiations could take place and perhaps this conference, with or without its current members, could build a real foundation. But, until that happens we will continue to be part of a conference going thru a prolonged divorce instead of focusing on being a better business.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I place the odds at 100%. Notre Dame has no path to the playoffs without the ACC. And tbh, the ACC suits most of the members just fine. Rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I place the odds at 100%. Notre Dame has no path to the playoffs without the ACC. And tbh, the ACC suits most of the members just fine. Rumors of its death are greatly exaggerated.
Really? You don’t see a change over a 13 year time period? You could ask me if the NFL, MLB, and NBA would be the same in 13 years and I’d say no way as well. 13 years is a long time in the world of big business. Who would have thought we’d have major sports in Vegas or a team named the Commanders 13 years ago? The one constant is change when money is involved. I’ll hopefully be here so we can revisit this thread then.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Really? You don’t see a change over a 13 year time period?
I think the ACC will still exist and it will still be a Power 3 conference. Might it add a team? Maybe. Lose a team? Maybe.

Durham and McClain shared, “Man, you look at the new markets that we’re going to be in now. Dallas has been feasting for college football primetime. Every time that we go there, you’re talking to hundreds of people that are around programs or fans that see us. We did a launch show, and there was 2500 people at this bar that we’re doing a show from. They’re ecstatic and the only reason it was 2500 is we ran out of room. The fire marshal’s hanging out, saying, ‘No, nobody else is allowed in.’ I think the excitement level there is through the roof.”

We haven’t even had one season with 3 new schools yet. Let’s digest it and see how it evolves. I think the ACC will be fine. It won’t be the SEC or B1G, but so what?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So at the ESPN and president's dinner
1. Cal is the guy with the we will make you proud tee shirt and tells espn after pac collapse we will take whatever you offer.
2. .FSU is the guy turning chairs and saying we want a helluva lot more money.

3. GREED whispering in espn ear " if u take FSU to sec you would only need to sweeten their pot a few %. We could ADD INCENTIVES BONUSES to the remaining acc into pot paid out based on acc record and tv ratings. "THEY all will think they can win with FSU gone" and boy oh boy will the ratings for WF and BC be a stunner" .

i like that Cal is here and i like that FSU is saying we want more money. I want more tv money for gt. Espn and acc need to drop the of contracts term to say 5 years with ways get to renewal.

Q the engineers,who want a long court battle.

We are at 500 pages!!!
On August 7 we were at page 500. Now we are at 518 which is 480 to go. .

Mods promised to shut this thread down at 1000.

In about 20 days we have gotten 18 pages and beaten fsu. That's 9 pages every 10 days or 30 pages per month or 360 per year. if we work a little harder.
So, by next year legal discovery will be underway and we will be down to 120 pages to go!

Just think next year we could be highly rated, playing uga at bds with a real chance of winning.

But none of that will matter as this thread will be closed.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I’ll answer - no way the ACC exists in its current form in 13 years. Look back 13 years (2011) and tell me if it’s the same? And 13 years ago we didn’t have teams intentionally trying to leave.

Now, if the ACC were to change management and get their version of Sankey or JBatt then negotiations could take place and perhaps this conference, with or without its current members, could build a real foundation. But, until that happens we will continue to be part of a conference going thru a prolonged divorce instead of focusing on being a better business.
I don’t think we need to change management. However, I think Jim needs an Assist Commissioner to be the attack dog. He’s not going to go Sankey on anyone. That’s not his style. He needs a mouthpiece who will walk that line.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
The system is 100% broken. Period.
It's amazing how differently we look at this. The college Post Season is 100x better now than it's ever been. Sure, 1 team might have a gripe, but the vast majority of the teams are all legit. I have no desire to go back to the days were the top teams had no chance of playing against each other during bowl season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we need to change management. However, I think Jim needs an Assist Commissioner to be the attack dog. He’s not going to go Sankey on anyone. That’s not his style. He needs a mouthpiece who will walk that line.
I can totally agree. But my point is he hasn’t done it. I think you are waiting for a horse to become a unicorn at this point. It’s just not gonna happen. The ACC had a very good year last year in head to head play and yet no one knows except the deep divers like us. i just watched him give a pretty good interview on the ACCN before the NC State game. Where was this on Saturday when everyone was watching ESPN? He’s the ACC commish and had Gameday etc for his schools and I didn’t hear what he just said then. Maybe, I missed it on Saturday. I trust you that he’s a good person and good business man. That's fine, but this is a cut throat business and we are just seeing year after year pass by while Sankey and Pettiti continue to run the sport. Can we agree that if the ACC gets 1 team in the playoff that serious changes are needed? Or will we just take it in stride like always.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It's amazing how differently we look at this. The college Post Season is 100x better now than it's ever been. Sure, 1 team might have a gripe, but the vast majority of the teams are all legit. I have no desire to go back to the days were the top teams had no chance of playing against each other during bowl season.
Totally agree. And just wait until it expands into the 20’s or low 30’s in the next 6-8 years. Then it will be even better.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
As a good friend once told me; “Nothing piled high is still nothing.” Applied here let me say. “Broke piled high is still broke.”

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I can totally agree. But my point is he hasn’t done it. I think you are waiting for a horse to become a unicorn at this point. It’s just not gonna happen. The ACC had a very good year last year in head to head play and yet no one knows except the deep divers like us. i just watched him give a pretty good interview on the ACCN before the NC State game. Where was this on Saturday when everyone was watching ESPN? He’s the ACC commish and had Gameday etc for his schools and I didn’t hear what he just said then. Maybe, I missed it on Saturday. I trust you that he’s a good person and good business man. That's fine, but this is a cut throat business and we are just seeing year after year pass by while Sankey and Pettiti continue to run the sport. Can we agree that if the ACC gets 1 team in the playoff that serious changes are needed? Or will we just take it in stride like always.
Yeah, Phillips missed a golden opportunity to plug the ACC on the major week zero kickoff-the-season game with 5M viewers. Was he even there? If not, that says a lot.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
As a good friend once told me; “Nothing piled high is still nothing.” Applied here let me say. “Broke piled high is still broke.”
I don't know anyone who doesn't think the college post season is better now that it has ever been. And, it's not a lateral move of changing a flawed system to a newer, but equally flawed systems. The new post season is significantly better. Your position seems to be if it's not perfect, than it's 100% broke. It's OK if it's not perfect. We're not talking about Boeing's Starliner.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure where to put this, put since it pertains to GT and the B1G, I figured I'd drop it here.

I watched a replay of the UM-OSU game last night and it struck me how much better Fox's presentation is to ESPN's. The graphs, the announcers, and the display is just miles and away better than anything that ESPN has come up with. The picture was so clear, and the quality made me feel like I was there. I compared that to ESPN's presentation of our week 0 game and the difference is very noticeable. IF we get to go to the B1G, the one thing I know we can count on is a much better presentation of our games.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't know anyone who doesn't think the college post season is better now that it has ever been. And, it's not a lateral move of changing a flawed system to a newer, but equally flawed systems. The new post season is significantly better. Your position seems to be if it's not perfect, than it's 100% broke. It's OK if it's not perfect. We're not talking about Boeing's Starliner.
There was a significant defect in the previous Top 4 playoff version in that, by the end of September, most of college football was eliminated with 2 losses. That is no longer the case. More teams will remain competitive longer. What differentiates teams now is both the schedule and the injuries/depth as teams have more games to play and i/d will matter a great deal.

It's incremental progress but it's a helluva lot better than when you had the AP and UPI trying to pick champs.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The CFP TV audience doesn't think it's nothing. CFP TV deal is significantly larger than any single conference's, including the B1G and the SEC's.