Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why would FSU and Clemson go to the Big-12? Their presence in the Big-12 would bring the Big-12s revenue to roughly where the ACCs is now. Why would FSU sue to leave a conference where it isn't able to keep up financially and join another conference where they would be in the same financial hole?
At this point, I think FSU wanting to leave is about more than the money. I agree though, I doubt they will settle on the Big 12 unless there is a financial windfall attached.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm confident that there are look-ins, if things get far askew, that the ACC can appeal to for renegotiation. sEcSPN does, after all, have to keep the reservation somewhat happy - within reason. That may be an unintended consequence of Fox and others moving strongly into the CFB market.
If that were true it would have already happened. It appears the "look ins" are all on ESPNs side.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If that were true it would have already happened. It appears the "look ins" are all on ESPNs side.
I am not so sure. A contractual partner can always request a look-in. They may get laughed at or they may get action. I would be shocked if a contract executed for *20 years* in the volatile media right arena did not have bi-directional look-ins. That would be foolish indeed. Perhaps the ACC is that foolish, but if so, then so are all the teams that approved it

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point, I think FSU wanting to leave is about more than the money. I agree though, I doubt they will settle on the Big 12 unless there is a financial windfall attached.
I think it has mostly if not all to do about money. Everything FSU talked about is falling behind the B10 and SEC. They had none of those complaints until the last round of TV contracts. I think this was based on two (at this point) questionable assumptions. One they would be able to blowup the GOR from a legal perspective and second that one of the Big 2 wants them. Maybe they got some assurance on that front but based on what I have heard lately (ok all rumors), that appears to be highly questionable. If they go independent, Notre Dame is expected to get 50MM from their next football contract and 17MM from the ACC. FSU would obviously not have the luxury of any ACC money and I don't think they would get 50MM since they don't have the same national presence.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
FSU and Clemson's absolute best bet is to stay in the ACC as configured now and push for an uneven playoff revenue split, i.e., teams that make the CFB Playoff from the ACC should keep a sizably larger share of the revenue generated by their appearance. Their road to the playoffs gets a lot harder in the SEC/B1G than it is currently in the ACC.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And this is why people have been so amazed at the sheer stupidity of the FSU lawsuit.
Calling it sheer stupidity would assume a much higher level of knowledge around all aspects of the lawsuit and FSU and Clemson's current situation than any of us are privy to. Maybe one day we will have more knowledge of everything going on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Calling it sheer stupidity would assume a much higher level of knowledge around all aspects of the lawsuit and FSU and Clemson's current situation than any of us are privy to. Maybe one day we will have more knowledge of everything going on.

Nah. It's sheer stupidity. Even if they win in court, which remains highly doubtful, they have burnt bridges and there are already indications that other conferences are taking notice of this fact. They aren't exactly painting themselves as ideal conference mates.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think it has mostly if not all to do about money. Everything FSU talked about is falling behind the B10 and SEC. They had none of those complaints until the last round of TV contracts. I think this was based on two (at this point) questionable assumptions. One they would be able to blowup the GOR from a legal perspective and second that one of the Big 2 wants them. Maybe they got some assurance on that front but based on what I have heard lately (ok all rumors), that appears to be highly questionable. If they go independent, Notre Dame is expected to get 50MM from their next football contract and 17MM from the ACC. FSU would obviously not have the luxury of any ACC money and I don't think they would get 50MM since they don't have the same national presence.
FSU isn't going independent. I still believe that they already have some idea where they will end up, and have had plenty of conversations with those entities. Money is certainly the biggest part of their desire to leave but access to the playoff, better TV access, and general discontent with the ACC in general play a part as well.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There was already a look in adjustment to add Cal and Stanford. If there’s a justifiable reason and the money works, it’ll happen.
That wasn't a look in. There is a pro rata clause in the ACC/ESPN deal when new members are added which gives the ACC a full Tier 1 share (~24 million) for each new member.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Nah. It's sheer stupidity. Even if they win in court, which remains highly doubtful, they have burnt bridges and there are already indications that other conferences are taking notice of this fact. They aren't exactly painting themselves as ideal conference mates.
Nobody actually cares about how they will be as conference mates. If they add value to a conference they will be added to that conference. This is a money game, not a feelings game. Otherwise, Texas would be independent.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Would be negligent for a school to not make moves to increase brand awareness in the marketing / recruiting territory of their new conference. That’s the whole point and it should theoretically make more money for all of us. We should be more annoyed if they weren’t showing signs of life as a contributor to the conference.
I dont feel any heartburn. Just may as well try to start something with them for fun.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
LT do you have an AJC subscription? That may be the issue with others opening the article.
I have a subscription.

Bradley says college football is changing. Maybe it’s not for the better.

Two dozen FSU players opted out from their bowl game. The PAC 12 is no more as a power conference. The NCAA is apathetic.

That’s really the gist of the column