Conference Realignment

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Cal’s posters on their forum referring to Atlanta as “Bear Territory” are just doing what fans do on their forum. No surprise there, and as insults go, it’s pretty lame.
The billboard thanks us and states We’ll Make You Proud”. What exactly is the issue here?
So at the ESPN and president's dinner
1. Cal is the guy with the we will make you proud tee shirt and tells espn after pac collapse we will take whatever you offer.
2. .FSU is the guy turning chairs and saying we want a helluva lot more money.

3. GREED whispering in espn ear " if u take FSU to sec you would only need to sweeten their pot a few %. We could ADD INCENTIVES BONUSES to the remaining acc into pot paid out based on acc record and tv ratings. "THEY all will think they can win with FSU gone" and boy oh boy will the ratings for WF and BC be a stunner" .

i like that Cal is here and i like that FSU is saying we want more money. I want more tv money for gt. Espn and acc need to drop the of contracts term to say 5 years with ways get to renewal.

Q the engineers,who want a long court battle.

We are at 500 pages!!!

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We are at 500 pages!!!

Since I plan on locking this thread when we hit 999 pages, we can safely say this thread has hit the Bon Jovi Point...

Heavy Metal Singing GIF by TeaCosyFolk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Since I plan on locking this thread when we hit 999 pages, we can safely say this thread has hit the Bon Jovi Point...

Heavy Metal Singing GIF by TeaCosyFolk
499 bottles of beer on the wall.
We've got 499 bottles of beer on the wall.......

You should start a thread of shame for posting to this thread during the game.

We had a thread on uniform colors that was equally obtuse but it had rapid fire short posts burning many pages day.

Last edited:

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Cal’s posters on their forum referring to Atlanta as “Bear Territory” are just doing what fans do on their forum. No surprise there, and as insults go, it’s pretty lame.
The billboard thanks us and states We’ll Make You Proud”. What exactly is the issue here?
Agreed with this and a lot of the other sentiment on here. I'm actually very impressed with them putting things together and making this happen. The campaign is smart. It's respectful. It recognizes the context ("We're new, so we're not going to come at this like we're God's gift to the conference"). Overall, it's great marketing for them - and good marketing for the ACC. It reminds everyone in Atlanta that the ACC is a national football conference, with a large footprint. And it reminds them that they'll be seeing a lot more of Cal.

I'm glad they did it. I hope we'll see some Tech fans/alums think outside the box and come up with some of these sorts of things in the future.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Florida attorney General withdraws suit against ACC without prejudice, per Tampa Bay Times. Behind a paywall...so I have no details.
See below for article. Not much info however.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
See below for article. Not much info however.

My opinion is that the Florida AG was only involved solely for political reasons. According to lawyers that I read and saw, the type of hearing she was asking for had no chance of being successful. They reached an agreement that allowed her to save face and claim she won, while still not revealing much at all in the contract. ESPN and the ACC released a copy of the contract so heavily redacted that it doesn't give away much if any information. Typical politics. She dropped everything for something of no consequence, and the ACC/ESPN was able to get rid of a hassle for something of no consequence. Everybody can claim a "victory".

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My opinion is that the Florida AG was only involved solely for political reasons. According to lawyers that I read and saw, the type of hearing she was asking for had no chance of being successful. They reached an agreement that allowed her to save face and claim she won, while still not revealing much at all in the contract. ESPN and the ACC released a copy of the contract so heavily redacted that it doesn't give away much if any information. Typical politics. She dropped everything for something of no consequence, and the ACC/ESPN was able to get rid of a hassle for something of no consequence. Everybody can claim a "victory".
So what year is discovery begin? Do they get to discover the private records of the acc commissioner's as it may pertain to his memo with espn? Do discoveries lead to more discovery? For a
50 million errors,and ommossion law suit on the Alliance Pipeline,it took 3 years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So what year is discovery begin? Do they get to discover the private records of the acc commissioner's as it may pertain to his memo with espn? Do discoveries lead to more discovery? For a
50 million errors,and ommossion law suit on the Alliance Pipeline,it took 3 years.
It will be settled long before discovery would start.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Off course, justice always prevails.
Take it till the end and thru several appeals.

Of course for a while acc, fsu and espn play the Alpha card.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Why would the ACC settle? The GOR is either valid or it isn't. Why would FSU settle? If they agree that they have to buy back their media rights, they have lost the case.
The same reason most things are settled. To avoid several years in court and to move on with their lives. I don't think FSU, Clemson, the ACC, and ESPN are going to want to fight this tooth and nail for several years. Especially when FSU, Clemson, and others are going to leave not too long after that anyways.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The same reason most things are settled. To avoid several years in court and to move on with their lives. I don't think FSU, Clemson, the ACC, and ESPN are going to want to fight this tooth and nail for several years. Especially when FSU, Clemson, and others are going to leave not too long after that anyways.
We're closing in on a year since the initial lawsuit was filed in NC and three difference appeals courts have pre-trial motions to consider. No one thinks either side will accept whatever ruling results, so we will be waiting, at some point, for higher courts to rule. The sovereign immunity motions could go all the way to the SCOTUS. The ACC is happy to let this play out in court for years because the status quo is their desired end result. And the status quo remains while the courts sit on these cases.