Conference Realignment

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Nobody actually cares about how they will be as conference mates. If they add value to a conference they will be added to that conference. This is a money game, not a feelings game. Otherwise, Texas would be independent.
Wait...did he say...hang on...oh..."money game".

Gotta get stronger readers. 👓

Never mind.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I have a subscription.

Bradley says college football is changing. Maybe it’s not for the better.

Two dozen FSU players opted out from their bowl game. The PAC 12 is no more as a power conference. The NCAA is apathetic.

That’s really the gist of the column
10 of the 2 dozen were drafted.

Since pee wee ball the 24 have had a support group who tell them they are good enough for the league and its thier ability that makes thier current team special.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting AJC article on the sell out in Ireland. Let me know if this is readable for all. I tried a different approach on sharing this one. May not matter, but let me know.

Article by Chad Bishop says game sold 47K tickets, 25K from the USA. Notes that 3.5 million TV viewers are expected. ESPN game day will be present.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting AJC article on the sell out in Ireland. Let me know if this is readable for all. I tried a different approach on sharing this one. May not matter, but let me know.

Article by Chad Bishop says game sold 47K tickets, 25K from the USA. Notes that 3.5 million TV viewers are expected. ESPN game day will be present.

Thank you. Readable for me and I do not subscribe.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Nah. It's sheer stupidity. Even if they win in court, which remains highly doubtful, they have burnt bridges and there are already indications that other conferences are taking notice of this fact. They aren't exactly painting themselves as ideal conference mates.
I don’t think the “burned bridges” are irreparable. I look at it similarly to arbitration in baseball. You can have some ugly arbitrations with players who end-up signing long term contracts the following year. Granted, some players leave too. Everyone in these negotiations/litigations understands this is a business.

I think the push to uneven revenue sharing is a real end-goal that will be satisfactory to both FSU and Clemson. That’s not attractive to “fanboys” on websites, but with proper spinning, it would be acceptable (and perhaps even lauded).

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think the “burned bridges” are irreparable. I look at it similarly to arbitration in baseball. You can have some ugly arbitrations with players who end-up signing long term contracts the following year. Granted, some players leave too. Everyone in these negotiations/litigations understands this is a business.

I think the push to uneven revenue sharing is a real end-goal that will be satisfactory to both FSU and Clemson. That’s not attractive to “fanboys” on websites, but with proper spinning, it would be acceptable (and perhaps even lauded).
I'm one of those that thinks uneven revenue makes sense ...

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm one of those that thinks uneven revenue makes sense ...
Me too. I'm a little surprised it wasn't in place before.

Additionally, the term “uneven revenue distribution” is misleading in my opinion. At the beginning of the season, each team gets X dollars. They can get X+ dollars depending on performance. I think teams that appear in the playoffs or go to bigger bowl games (with bigger payoffs) should get most of those spoils.

“Uneven” in my mind means at the beginning of the season one team gets X dollars and the other team gets Y dollars - regardless of performance.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Additionally, the term “uneven revenue distribution” is misleading in my opinion. At the beginning of the season, each team gets X dollars. They can get X+ dollars depending on performance. I think teams that appear in the playoffs or go to bigger bowl games (with bigger payoffs) should get most of those spoils.

“Uneven” in my mind means at the beginning of the season one team gets X dollars and the other team gets Y dollars - regardless of performance.
It seems just like base pay + performance bonuses to me, and I have no issue with it. Same way CBK gets paid.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I think FSU wanting to leave is about more than the money. I agree though, I doubt they will settle on the Big 12 unless there is a financial windfall attached.
IMO, They want to run the conference. Never liked the tobacco road crowd being in charge. If they were to go to B12, they would likely demand a bigger cut of the payout. They got the ACC to agree to that for post season play.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Could someone please summarize the 500+ pages for me? And in a brief manner, as difficult that is for many of you. LOL. I hate to start at page 1.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Would guarantee no upward mobility by other teams. You want to dissolve a conference, that is the formula. Texas did that and TAM and Ark bolted to the SEC. It's the micro model of what the SEC is doing to the ACC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

That’s the important distinction, right?

If everyone gets X and there is a plus based upon “eating what you kill,” then I support it.

If we say before kick off, or tip off, or first pitch that one program gets more, I’m not easily on board with that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If we say before kick off, or tip off, or first pitch that one program gets more, I’m not easily on board with that.
It’s always been that way. Home game generates more for the home team than the visitor. Visiting teams negotiate different fees based on the draw. Nothing new about that.

Conferences, however, doing so simply concentrates value in a smaller group. It skews the results long-term.

My argument has always been, the NFC West does not negotiate a different media deal than the AFC East. On certain issues that lead to a competitive environment, everyone earns a standard amount.

There should be ONE media negotiating body for college athletics that ensures competitiveness. I find it interesting how conferences are eating each other.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
It’s always been that way. Home game generates more for the home team than the visitor. Visiting teams negotiate different fees based on the draw. Nothing new about that.

Conferences, however, doing so simply concentrates value in a smaller group. It skews the results long-term.

My argument has always been, the NFC West does not negotiate a different media deal than the AFC East. On certain issues that lead to a competitive environment, everyone earns a standard amount.

There should be ONE media negotiating body for college athletics that ensures competitiveness. I find it interesting how conferences are eating each other.
you can thank uga (and Oklahoma) for that not being the case.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Agree it would be optimim, but its kind of late to get all the college presidents to give out blanket authority to a non college prez type.

A decade ago TF Prez of GT was PREZ OF BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF NCAA.
Then couldn't the ncaa have imposed across the board strict terms and limits to ALL colleges so that sports for real students.
"Your pay to play is called a Ncaa approved scholarship. No players w o ncaa scholarship can particpate. Just add more terms and conditions ( transfer sits till one year in class, player leaves early or drops out - still counts against scholarship limit) to keep their student athletes from being a semi pro with no pay.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Aw c'mon @Augusta_Jacket, @Techster and @RonJohn have too much equity in this thread to deny them 1,000 pages. Give the people what they want! :LOL:

Come On Disney GIF by Marvel Studios

mlk1.jpg

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agree it would be optimim, but its kind of late to get all the college presidents to give out blanket authority to a non college prez type.

A decade ago TF Prez of GT was PREZ OF BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF NCAA.
Then couldn't the ncaa have imposed across the board strict terms and limits to ALL colleges so that sports for real students.
"Your pay to play is called a Ncaa approved scholarship. No players w o ncaa scholarship can particpate. Just add more terms and conditions ( transfer sits till one year in class, player leaves early or drops out - still counts against scholarship limit) to keep their student athletes from being a semi pro with no pay.
Agreed. And I really don’t have a problem with the top 30-40 TEAMS breaking away to form a new league. But the current arrangement is for two conferences to get supersized money at the expense of the others. That’s counterproductive.

A missed opportunity to make it better for everyone.