Conference Realignment

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
It’s tough, though. Netflix, Hulu, etc already bundle with various levels of cell phone plans. I haven’t been in a position to see the numbers in a few year, but it was not a terribly big channel in the past. The plans that can afford to bundle are high-margin top-tier ones and those aren’t where the most cost-conscious subscribers go. And the ad take for one of those platforms for a month per user may not even clear ESPN’s traditional carriage charge

The underlying higher investment that demands carriage fees cuts against the need to replenish the eyeballs. Cost of customer acquisition is going up and the ad inventory gets harder to fill at the same rate since ad buyers want to target more narrowly on streaming platforms. ESPN currently is pretty godawful at inventory fill for their streaming stuff, as anyone who’s seen the same 4 commercials twenty times per game knows.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A while back we had acc commisioner standing up for our lawyers and claiming fsu and clemson are harming brand. He added we have good dialog with espn. Define WE - the acc as presently configured.
You guys that love this speculation should check out what Espn just said about extending the deal with acc as presently configured?

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
A while back we had acc commisioner standing up for our lawyers and claiming fsu and clemson are harming brand. He added we have good dialog with espn. Define WE - the acc as presently configured.
You guys that love this speculation should check out what Espn just said about extending the deal with acc as presently configured?
ESPN will absolutely not decline their option to extend the television partnership with the ACC beyond 2027, says David Hale of ESPN.

OK this is the source of this. He is a reporter. Not exactly a Decision Maker. He is basing this comment on talking to schools and the ACC. Not saying he is wrong but I don't see him really having an inside scoop (but obviously more than me since he reports on football and basketball).

CEB

Helluva Engineer
ESPN will absolutely not decline their option to extend the television partnership with the ACC beyond 2027, says David Hale of ESPN.

OK this is the source of this. He is a reporter. Not exactly a Decision Maker. He is basing this comment on talking to schools and the ACC. Not saying he is wrong but I don't see him really having an inside scoop (but obviously more than me since he reports on football and basketball).
To be fair, I don’t think we have seen any “decision makers” anywhere offer substantive commentary on this. That would be quite noteworthy indeed.

slugboy

Staff member
To be fair, I don’t think we have seen any “decision makers” anywhere offer substantive commentary on this. That would be quite noteworthy indeed.
ESPN is part of a publicly traded corporation. Decision makers will say nothing until the ACC network is renewed or not. Otherwise, they’re facing lawsuits, fines, and other financial impacts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So when it's decided , they will let us know. Yea, that matches my experiences.

But heard that FSU says former commissioner signed an un a authorized memo ...

All I know is Gt needs to put hammer down, win this year, and be seen as RISING IN ATLANTA AND NOT 100- 0.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. That one is placed in Charlotte, but the graphic is the same as Atlanta. Apparently, Cal Alumni want to get them placed in every ACC market. Here's more on it, with a post and photo of the Atlanta location:

After reading their forum about the Atlanta billboard, I want to beat the brakes off them in any and every sport every time. Then I want to buy an ad for a Berkeley billboard and gloat about it.... ON THEIR CAMPUS!!!!

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
???

I didn’t see many snarky comments…why the hate?
A couple more pictures from Atlanta. Particularly love the one with Georgia Tech in the background (credit To BearCam for spotting that). Atlanta is absolutely Bear Territory!
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/008/10/5d/105d6d41abd68d4f406cc757c9b1402696f8d5e4_188941_u2503.jpg

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/00...6277c0b527cedce6197e2c0d31c_5466769_u2503.jpg

Grabbed this from their forum which is what got me a little testy. Atlanta is not Bear Territory; it should be Tech territory (although it's more dwag territory than anything). You can make your mark in a new conference without crapping on an existing member that isn't publicly bashing its own conference. Oh well, life moves on I suppose.

Edit: Just thought of a different angle on this. What if they are attempting to create a rivalry between two schools who prioritize academics? I'm down.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the heartburn about the Cal sign. The sign basically says "thanks for including us in the ACC". Where else would you put that note except next to the stadii of your new conference mates? I don't see anything that is demeaning to GT. Sure, let's beat the snot out of them when we get the opportunity, but no reason to get all wrapped around the axle right now. Let's focus our hate on FSU in the short term and UGA always!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I don't get all the heartburn about the Cal sign. The sign basically says "thanks for including us in the ACC". Where else would you put that note except next to the stadii of your new conference mates? I don't see anything that is demeaning to GT. Sure, let's beat the snot out of them when we get the opportunity, but no reason to get all wrapped around the axle right now. Let's focus our hate on FSU in the short term and UGA always!

Agreed. Would be negligent for a school to not make moves to increase brand awareness in the marketing / recruiting territory of their new conference. That’s the whole point and it should theoretically make more money for all of us. We should be more annoyed if they weren’t showing signs of life as a contributor to the conference.

yoshiki2

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple more pictures from Atlanta. Particularly love the one with Georgia Tech in the background (credit To BearCam for spotting that). Atlanta is absolutely Bear Territory!
https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/008/10/5d/105d6d41abd68d4f406cc757c9b1402696f8d5e4_188941_u2503.jpg

https://f5s-img.s3.amazonaws.com/00...6277c0b527cedce6197e2c0d31c_5466769_u2503.jpg

Grabbed this from their forum which is what got me a little testy. Atlanta is not Bear Territory; it should be Tech territory (although it's more dwag territory than anything). You can make your mark in a new conference without crapping on an existing member that isn't publicly bashing its own conference. Oh well, life moves on I suppose.

Edit: Just thought of a different angle on this. What if they are attempting to create a rivalry between two schools who prioritize academics? I'm down.
Can you post other links? I’m unable to see them..

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Would be negligent for a school to not make moves to increase brand awareness in the marketing / recruiting territory of their new conference. That’s the whole point and it should theoretically make more money for all of us. We should be more annoyed if they weren’t showing signs of life as a contributor to the conference.
Cal’s posters on their forum referring to Atlanta as “Bear Territory” are just doing what fans do on their forum. No surprise there, and as insults go, it’s pretty lame.
The billboard thanks us and states We’ll Make You Proud”. What exactly is the issue here?