Conference Realignment

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a move in North Carolina to force UNC, NCSU to play at least one of these teams, ECU, App State, or UNCC, each year. Legislature is talking like they will force UNC and NCSU to be tied to the same conference regardless. Sorta like UVA and VT deal. May have already happened.
Conference realignment is getting state governments and the legal system more in control and more involved. NIL is another example of how the courts are changing college football.
This is a bill being considered in the legislature. It would force them to play these teams "regularly."

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
For those who are interested, I have a little more information on the ACC Annual Spring Meeting. Kelsey Riggs, David Hale, and Wes Durham had a short discussion about the Meeting on ACC PM. They said that the meeting will be next week at Amelia Island without giving dates. I am ASSUMING it will be 15th through 17th, the same as last year. However, I will continue to check.
This has been like trying to find a state secret. It is not shown on the ACC web site as far as I can tell and it is not on the normal internet sites.

The group discussed possible dissention during the meeting. Wes said there will be "Philosophical and Legal" differences between the members. Sounds like FSU and Clemson will be in attendance.

A meeting subject shown on the screen noted that "ADs and Coaches would discuss the future of the Conference".

Stanford, CAL, and SMU will attend and be welcomed to the conference.

There will be more discussion on how to divide the extra money received from Bowls, NCAA, and Conference expansion.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Just my best guesses here. I think likely FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA go to the P2 conferences. I think if that happens Louisville goes to the B12. The interesting group after that is Miami, NC State, and VT. If they all leave then you have a conference with GT, Duke, Wake, BC, Pitt, Stanford, Cal, SMU, Syracuse. Likely some more get added (Memphis, Tulane, UConn, etc.). There are too many ACC teams that will have nowhere to go for the ACC to fall apart completely. It will effectively turn into an upper tier G5 conference though.
With the Secheat/B1G expansion the other P5 conferences are already upper level G5. That is, unless we call those two what they really are; BLP (bush league pro). We haven’t changed, they did. No reason to make us wear the donkey suit.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
With the Secheat/B1G expansion the other P5 conferences are already upper level G5. That is, unless we call those two what they really are; BLP (bush league pro). We haven’t changed, they did. No reason to make us wear the donkey suit.
But not in terms of money. The ACC and B12 are both getting way below the Big 10 and SEC but far more than any G5 team. Looks like the AAC is getting 7MM per team per year which I think is the highest Group of 5 league. That is far below the ACC or Big 12. So I completely agree that the Big Ten and SEC are kings but I think to say the ACC and Big 12 are now an upper level G5 doesn't make sense when they are making sixfold more than the highest G5 league.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
This G5 mindset is exactly what is wrong with our GT fanbase. We need to engage the politicking machine to demand, publicly, that UGA supports us for SEC admission similar to what Virginia and North Carolina is doing for UVA, VT, UNC and NCSU, respectively. If Tech ends up in what would be a watered down ACC it will be the death of the program. That death could be literal or figurative.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This G5 mindset is exactly what is wrong with our GT fanbase. We need to engage the politicking machine to demand, publicly, that UGA supports us for SEC admission similar to what Virginia and North Carolina is doing for UVA, VT, UNC and NCSU, respectively. If Tech ends up in what would be a watered down ACC it will be the death of the program. That death could be literal or figurative.
Dude, I bet you’re a joy at a party. Ha!

It would not be the death of the program. It would precipitate a significant change. That change might not be bad, though.

Let me pose a question: Suppose that the road the SECheat and B1G are on is leading to destruction of the college game. Better to be among them, or not?

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow

It would not be the death of the program. It would precipitate a significant change. That change might not be bad, though.

Let me pose a question: Suppose that the road the SECheat and B1G are on is leading to destruction of the college game. Better to be among them, or not?
100% better to be with them..... Anything else is simply a downgrade to the point, IMO, to where we should drop football. But hey, you enjoy those games against Stanford, Duke and BC and I will be partying thinking of the days when my alma mater used to play football that actually mattered

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
100% better to be with them..... Anything else is simply a downgrade to the point, IMO, to where we should drop football. But hey, you enjoy those games against Stanford, Duke and BC and I will be partying thinking of the days when my alma mater used to play football that actually mattered
Since when does playing South Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, Ole Miss, Auburn, TAMU, Arkansas, Missouri, and now even UT and Florida matter? How long has it been since we played and beat UGA, Alabama, and LSU in the same year? The 1950’s. That’s almost 70 years ago now. What you’re talking about hasn’t happened in yours and my lifetimes. Why does that suddenly become the metric for relevance?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Since when does playing South Carolina, Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, Ole Miss, Auburn, TAMU, Arkansas, Missouri, and now even UT and Florida matter? How long has it been since we played and beat UGA, Alabama, and LSU in the same year? The 1950’s. That’s almost 70 years ago now. What you’re talking about hasn’t happened in yours and my lifetimes. Why does that suddenly become the metric for relevance?
Tech played and LOST to UT in the Chick-fil-a Classic. And it was one of the most watched games of the year. The game today is winning AND being watched. $$$ matter more today than 70 years ago.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
"We will do whatever it takes to win at the highest level" I'm going to believe what he said until I'm given reason not to believe what was said. I did not take our Presidents statement as some sort of coach speak. Personally I believe GTFB and sports is going to be an Atlanta thing, not just a GT thing. I think the vision from the top is much bigger than anything we see on here. We shall see over the coming years. I'm guessing we will have a pretty good idea 5 years or less from now.
I lived when it was an Atlanta thing, professional sports has some rough times ahead and may never be again what we are seeing now. IMO higher education is going through a major shakeout, it will not be small when all is said and done.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Tech played and LOST to UT in the Chick-fil-a Classic. And it was one of the most watched games of the year. The game today is winning AND being watched. $$$ matter more today than 70 years ago.
Great! Let’s play and lose and make a LOT of money. Three cheers for Tech football! We’re relevant, baby!

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm coming to wonder if your not right on this. I don't watch pro for a reason. And I think there could be an overreach by the big2 for money amd exclusivity that puts them on that level where they're competing with the pros for viewership. IDK I just think they will become little brother while the rest of the country might still support their own non big2 teams amd conferences and tune out for those others like I already did.

Used to be a time I would be delighted to see UGA and Alabama play a good game. Now I couldn't care less because the talent gap is so wide. I'm betting I'm not alone in this.

Think about the remaining teams left out. Will they care any more than, say NDSU fans care about the Iron Bowl?

if GT doesn't get in, that's OK. It will be an elite league I care nothing about At that point. And we could be the kings of the remaining division. Better to rule in hell than serve in heaven. I want wins, not losses.

But if we DO get in, welcome to the occasional winning season less often than not - which will kill our program just as effectively. After all, half of the teams in those big2 conferences will be sub .500. Who here thinks we wouldn't be in that group?

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's a really good question. I guess I would say it's better to be among them, but I really don't know what I'm saying.
It begs another question, though - if we were offered a place in these conferences that are destroying college football, should we turn them down?

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a really good question. I guess I would say it's better to be among them, but I really don't know what I'm saying.
It begs another question, though - if we were offered a place in these conferences that are destroying college football, should we turn them down?
I don't think we should turn them down, but I also don't think not making it would destroy our future. Rather we could become one of the best programs in the nation under a different division if the big2 split off like everybody talks about.

Good riddance if ao.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Duke?? DUKE???? Oh the Horror!!! Who would ever want to see Tech play a team we've never played
played once a long time ago
played a few times

played 90 times, 3rd most only to ugag and auburn

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The whole point of realignment is create televised matchups at the bottom end range of the NFL.
The very best college team would get destroyed/crushed/killed, pick a word by any NFL team. The SEC and B1G have huge fan bases that very much care about college football. The ACC and Big 12 have a few that care at the level of the Big 2 but most school fan bases in the ACC and Big 12 simply don't care nearly as much.